Uber Ultra

The noise on Ultra mode is definitely noticeable, but only when you're not actually playing, and I don't have trouble with excessive feedback. I try to keep the gain on Ultra mode at about 2:00 or less for that reason (it already has insane amounts of gain at that point). If the noise becomes too much, the amp takes a boost on Uber mode very well and can be cleaned up with a noise gate out front.

The noise on Ultra mode is definitely noticeable, but only when you're not actually playing, and I don't have trouble with excessive feedback. I try to keep the gain on Ultra mode at about 2:00 or less for that reason (it already has insane amounts of gain at that point). If the noise becomes too much, the amp takes a boost on Uber mode very well and can be cleaned up with a noise gate out front.
I received my EL-34 Ultra a few days ago, but had it sent to my father's place a province over (lower taxes), so I won't be able to play it until February when I go visit.

Regarding noise: is it really any noisier than previous Uber revisions with conservative gain settings? On my old Rev Green and Blue I never felt the need to go above 12/noon on the gain and never had noise issues. The Ultra mode is what? 6 or 7 gain stages?! I will probably never go above noon on that channel.

I received my EL-34 Ultra a few days ago, but had it sent to my father's place a province over (lower taxes), so I won't be able to play it until February when I go visit.

Regarding noise: is it really any noisier than previous Uber revisions with conservative gain settings? On my old Rev Green and Blue I never felt the need to go above 12/noon on the gain and never had noise issues. The Ultra mode is what? 6 or 7 gain stages?! I will probably never go above noon on that channel.
I do think the UU on Ultra mode is noisier, especially when you use a noise gate in front of a UU vs. an earlier Uberschall. However, running a gate in the loop helps a lot.

I don't have an older Überschall but had a Twinjet and hve a 5150. I'd say, the noise with the boost in Über mode is already pretty noisy. In Ultra mode it is a lot louder and boosted Ultra is really really loud. As loud as the amp signal itself when stop playing.
I have not turn up the Gain higher then 5/10. It actually is an issue when setting it 3/10.
There's more gain than enough. And surely one could switch to Über mode. However, the Ultra mode sounds special.

I do think the UU on Ultra mode is noisier, especially when you use a noise gate in front of a UU vs. an earlier Uberschall. However, running a gate in the loop helps a lot.
So UU mode is the noisy one. Gotcha. Again, makes sense with it having like 6 gain stages and I think 7 with the boost. Lol! I will take your advice and throw a noise suppressor in the loop then, although I am betting I will live mostly on the Uber modes!

I have not had any of these noise issues with a Zuul in the loop. I've had the KT88 and now the 6L6 version's. I run the Ultra mode probably 95% of the time and it's been dead quiet with the Zuul so far.

So UU mode is the noisy one. Gotcha. Again, makes sense with it having like 6 gain stages and I think 7 with the boost. Lol! I will take your advice and throw a noise suppressor in the loop then, although I am betting I will live mostly on the Uber modes!
Yep. It’s much quieter on Uber mode. However, the Ultra mode is like having a boost in front of the amp in terms of tightness, articulation, etc., especially with the Metamorph knob on a lower setting. To me, the added noise is an acceptable tradeoff if, for whatever reason, you don’t want to boost the amp with a pedal.

Yep. It’s much quieter on Uber mode. However, the Ultra mode is like having a boost in front of the amp in terms of tightness, articulation, etc., especially with the Metamorph knob on a lower setting. To me, the added noise is an acceptable tradeoff if, for whatever reason, you don’t want to boost the amp with a pedal.
Good to know man, thanks for the reply! Honestly, for an amp with that much gain on tap, some noise is just going to be part of the equation. Acceptable tradeoff for an Uber that be so extremely versatile! I am excited to play mine!

Good to know man, thanks for the reply! Honestly, for an amp with that much gain on tap, some noise is just going to be part of the equation. Acceptable tradeoff for an Uber that be so extremely versatile! I am excited to play mine!
You won’t be disappointed. This thing really is the ultimate hard rock and metal amp. Just take your time to explore everything before coming to any firm conclusions. And don’t neglect the cleans on channel one, they are surprisingly good!

Last edited:

I didn’t find my old rev blue noisy at all

I have not had any of these noise issues with a Zuul in the loop. I've had the KT88 and now the 6L6 version's. I run the Ultra mode probably 95% of the time and it's been dead quiet with the Zuul so far.
Do you prefer the 6L6-Version? If so, in what way?

I do have the 6L6 version here now. My first 5 minutes: I agree that it kills soundwise. I like all modes in channel 1 and enjoy Uber and Ultra mode in channel 2. However, the noise is pretty annoying. Boosted Ueber is pretty noisy in both cases, but Ultra is too noisy for the price, I feel. Does everyone use a noise gate. Would I need that with the Wizard Hell Razor?
Another minor complaint: The boost status is not remembered for the channel. Switching from boosted channel 2 to channel 1 will leave the boost on, even if it has been deactivated for that channel before.
I have a Bogner Uber Ultra and my friend has a Wizard Hell Razor. The Hell Razor is probably the most noisy amp I have ever played through. Both these amps have a ton of gain on tap, and require a noise gate.

How was the kt88 version?? I ordered el34 version and switched to kt88 version.

Can I borrow it :D

kidding. Enjoy!
Seems like it took awhile

The sounds from this amp in demo videos over the last few months have been great. How are owners feeling now that the honeymoon period has passed? Any specific differences from the tone of the Green and Blue revisions?

The sounds from this amp in demo videos over the last few months have been great. How are owners feeling now that the honeymoon period has passed? Any specific differences from the tone of the Green and Blue revisions?

I think it can do anything the Rev Blue does and about 90% of what the Rev Green does. With KT88s, I'm sure it can do whatever the Twin Jet does. Not only that, it is much easier to get good clean and crunch tones out of it at decent volumes than the earlier Uberschalls.

I think it can do anything the Rev Blue does and about 90% of what the Rev Green does. With KT88s, I'm sure it can do whatever the Twin Jet does. Not only that, it is much easier to get good clean and crunch tones out of it at decent volumes than the earlier Uberschalls.

In fairness, I've always found the tone shaping on the earlier Uberschalls very good, especially in the sense that the controls provide useable high gain sounds everywhere on the dial. It seems like the Ultra makes the interface more intuitive and removes some of the common complaints like mismatched channel volumes. Adding some of that second-channel versatility to the mid-gain tones on the first channel is a big improvement, though probably not what most players are buying Ubers for.

Did you try the KT88 and 6L6 version of the amp before springing for the EL34?

Back