Warren DeMartini at The Music Zoo

I've known a couple guys that met Warren (one knows him rather well) and both say his is just a normal guy and actually does not like it when folks idealize him

Dave Rocks":2itvlra7 said:
I've known a couple guys that met Warren (one knows him rather well) and both say his is just a normal guy and actually does not like it when folks idealize him
Yeah a friend of mine knows him very well and says the same thing. :thumbsup:

Padre Bonic":1u40l477 said:
P.S. all the guitars on stage were his originals except for the blood drip which was given away in a raffle at the end of it.

thats weird because the last photo of the frenchie I saw most of the graphics had come off. Also it only had one pick up and didn't have the truss rod cut out on the fretboard

sytharnia1560":3ix4c090 said:
Padre Bonic":3ix4c090 said:
P.S. all the guitars on stage were his originals except for the blood drip which was given away in a raffle at the end of it.

thats weird because the last photo of the frenchie I saw most of the graphics had come off. Also it only had one pick up and didn't have the truss rod cut out on the fretboard
I think you are correct.The French he's using now is a newer one.

Padre Bonic":2qzrren8 said:
sytharnia1560":2qzrren8 said:
Padre Bonic":2qzrren8 said:

got me thinking there might be a run of frenchie sigs coming?

sytharnia1560":11eotabh said:
Padre Bonic":11eotabh said:
sytharnia1560":11eotabh said:
Padre Bonic":11eotabh said:

From what I understand they were going to and two were made:eek:ne went to Warren and one was shown at NAMM but for some reason they didn't go put them out. Recently Warren was at Charvel and they are working on something so maybe in the future.

sytharnia1560":xonochhm said:
Padre Bonic":xonochhm said:
sytharnia1560":xonochhm said:
Padre Bonic":xonochhm said:

There's a copyright on the verbiage, so that one won't be coming out. I guess my thought is, "Change the words." No one will know for the better.

He talks a bit of the snake skin which I believe was always a Performance and never a Charvel. The ones he plays now are Performance for sure.

Dave Rocks":1qtgvzge said:
He talks a bit of the snake skin which I believe was always a Performance and never a Charvel. The ones he plays now are Performance for sure.
The first few snakeskins were Charvel bodies, but Performance was applying the skin.

Bronco":axbv4v65 said:
Dave Rocks":axbv4v65 said:
The first few snakeskins were Charvel bodies, but Performance was applying the skin.

Interesting as the tell tail signs of the Performance body are the volume knob location and the basic body cut. Perhaps I've just never seen one of the first?

Dave Rocks":2bsiltet said:
Bronco":2bsiltet said:
Dave Rocks":2bsiltet said:

Interesting as the tell tail signs of the Performance body are the volume knob location and the basic body cut. Perhaps I've just never seen one of the first?
Well I'm not sure which snakeskins you are referring to? The one in the Lay it Down video is Charvel/Jackson for sure, as is the brown one he used heavily during the Dancing Undercover tour. There is also another snakeskin with a fixed bridge that he's playing during the solo of the video of Slip of the Lip...all three of those are classic Charvel/Jackson 7/8 Dinky bodies. All of the current snakeskins he is using appear to be Performance Corsair models. To my knowledge, though, Kuni at Performance applied all the snakeskins regardless.

Dave Rocks":1gjf5zt6 said:
Bronco":1gjf5zt6 said:
Dave Rocks":1gjf5zt6 said:

Warren's were the first Charvel Dinky bodies (the jig was lost and the newer Charvel/Jackson dinky bodies don't match).

There were two - the first (from the Lay it Down video) had a clear coat. The 2nd was the one Warren used for a long time, which I think he sold. Performance then made a replacement.

"Lay it Down" clear coated dinky:
WarrenSnakeFront.jpg

Which ended up at the Osaka HRC:
WarrensnakeHRC.jpg

2nd Charvel Dinky (different type of snake skin:)
warrengplayer.jpg

Pic from it listed at Atlas Icons for sale:
Warren-DeMartini-1986-Charvel--22Python-22-1024x682.jpg

Performance replacement for above:
zzz524.jpg

I agree the one in the Lay It Down video is not a Performance nor does it appear to be real snake skin. I believe the one in Way Cool Jr video is real snake skin and a Performance (look at the volume knob placement)

Dave Rocks":b8bou0kp said:
I agree the one in the Lay It Down video is not a Performance nor does it appear to be real snake skin. I believe the one in Way Cool Jr video is real snake skin and a Performance (look at the volume knob placement)
Nah that's definitely a Charvel Dinky body. Corsairs are different man.

The Lay It Down one was/is real snakeskin, but he said the skin was applied over a primered and sealed body and the tone wasn't as good as the brown one above, as the brown skin was applied directly to bare wood, resulting in better tone.

Bronco":m2iam5pw said:
Dave Rocks":m2iam5pw said:
Which one are you saying is a Charvel - Way cool Jr?

And, I certainly know Performance Corsair's - I have 3 :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 3,334
  • 01657_Performance_Corsair_Orange_02.jpg
    01657_Performance_Corsair_Orange_02.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3,691
  • 01995_Performance_Snakeskin_FROM-SELLER_01.jpg
    01995_Performance_Snakeskin_FROM-SELLER_01.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 3,275
Dave Rocks":29yi2lbg said:
Bronco":29yi2lbg said:
Dave Rocks":29yi2lbg said:
Which one are you saying is a Charvel - Way cool Jr?

And, I certainly know Performance Corsair's - I have 3 :)
Not saying you don't my man! BTW, all three of those are KILLER :rock: But I have both a Corsair and a Charvel Dinky...and while they are very similar, they are different, particularly in the inside cut of the upper horn. The Snake in WCJr is the same one Ron Dodson posted a closeup of earlier (cover of Guitar Player), which is a Charvel. That clearly is a dinky body. It is unmistakeable. The three pics you posted of yours are clearly Corsairs. They are unmistakeable.

Also, not following why you keep focusing on volume knob placement either? The volume knob on my Corsair is below the Floyd, not the pickup, for instance, unlike yours in your pictures. Besides, all these are custom jobs anyway.

Eric - I keep mentioning the volume knob placement because Performance Standard is as shown on my guitars. Sure, as you said, they can place them different but it's not per their standard. And, as a Jackson owner too, I've never seen a Charvel dinky knob placed anywhere but on center of the pickup. So, that's a tell tail sign for me. The image posted above from Atlas is a Performance - not a Charvel - if you go have a look at the Atlas site, they call it a 1986 Charvel but if you look at the back side photos - it has a Performance neck plate on it :) and I believe that is the one from WcJr video :)

Side note - please post a pic of your Performance - would love to see it. My new one is on the way back right now as the body was repainted (another story)

http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/imag ... w--&GI_ID=

Attachments

• Performance.jpg
    Performance.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,239
Back