Wizard options

steve_k

Does the MC-100 come with either the gold or black chassis or only black? The gold chassis and gold logo is just righteous.

What are all the users leaning toward for speakers? I cannot imagine these amps sounding their best through my Mesa Recto's.

Steve

steve_k":16hkr6k2 said:
Does the MC-100 come with either the gold or black chassis or only black? The gold chassis and gold logo is just righteous.

What are all the users leaning toward for speakers? I cannot imagine these amps sounding their best through my Mesa Recto's.

Steve

Hey Steve,
Funny you ask that because they make other chassis, headboxes, put different knobs, and have the different trannies. I have great luck using them with the rock 20's. I am also getting fantastic feedback about people using them with the splawn small blocks. Anyways, regarding your recto cabinets, I used to use a Wizard MC100 exclusively with a Framus Dragon cabinet (v30/rearload). To be completely frank with you, I actually think I prefer the v30's with it. Don't get me wrong, I flip flop from that to the rock 20's but I tell you, the v30's were nothing to balk at when the wizard was pounding them. It is not like a splawn as far as being particular on speakers. I am by no means knocking the splawns, I just find them very picky when matching them to speakers. When I got my first splawn ever, I had it on top of a framus dragon cabinet. I had to immediately call Scott to ask him what was up with it. He laughed and recommended a different cab. It was just the way the amp was built. What I am getting to is that the wizard is in no way, shape, or form particular like the Splawns are. They are both great amps, but when looking at speakers, you can be more liberal when it comes to the Wizard.

Here are some REALLY crappy examples, please forgive my playing... I am a Chemical Engineer by trade, not a musician.

Wizard Rock 20's

Framus Cobra (Front Load GB's)

Mills V30
its boosted though...

Wizard Alnico's

Sorry about the quality of most... Some are mine some are not. But thats what I could come up with quick.

Josh

PS - got a gold chassis, gold emblem, plexi looking MC100 incoming in a week with the optional trannies.

joshsage":2zcd8hqd said:
steve_k":2zcd8hqd said:

Steve

Hey Steve,
Funny you ask that because they make other chassis, headboxes, put different knobs, and have the different trannies. I have great luck using them with the rock 20's. I am also getting fantastic feedback about people using them with the splawn small blocks. Anyways, regarding your recto cabinets, I used to use a Wizard MC100 exclusively with a Framus Dragon cabinet (v30/rearload). To be completely frank with you, I actually think I prefer the v30's with it. Don't get me wrong, I flip flop from that to the rock 20's but I tell you, the v30's were nothing to balk at when the wizard was pounding them. It is not like a splawn as far as being particular on speakers. I am by no means knocking the splawns, I just find them very picky when matching them to speakers. When I got my first splawn ever, I had it on top of a framus dragon cabinet. I had to immediately call Scott to ask him what was up with it. He laughed and recommended a different cab. It was just the way the amp was built. What I am getting to is that the wizard is in no way, shape, or form particular like the Splawns are. They are both great amps, but when looking at speakers, you can be more liberal when it comes to the Wizard.

Josh

PS - got a gold chassis, gold emblem, plexi looking MC100 incoming in a week with the optional trannies.

Josh:

Sold...........

Steve

IMO Wizard are Mesa Recto cabs are not the best match. Todd (ampaddict) somehow got some decent clips with that pairing (his V30 + 65 X pattern probably helps) but personally I hated this combination, which also included a Recto 2x12 V30 wedge I had at the time.

Funny you mention some amps being very particular with certain speakers. In addition to the Mesa cab/Wizard amp that didn't work for me, I also tried various Wizards through an early VHT 4x12 w/V30s (designed different & before they were called Fatbottoms). That sounded like crap ! Next to no low end, and zero lower mid warmth, just cardboard harshness. So for years I thought Wizards hated V30s.

Years later I got a Bogner 4x12, and found V30s in this cab + Wizard sounds absolutely killer ! The later VHT Fatbottoms, when outfitted with V30s sound quite good as well.

Oh, are those Rock 20s available in 8 ohms ? Those first two clips w/the Rock 20s sounded quite good. I know they're Emminence, and presumably partially based on Greenbacks, what else can you tell me about them ? Comparisons to other speakers ?

thegame":3j76rpfd said:
Oh, are those Rock 20s available in 8 ohms ? Those first two clips w/the Rock 20s sounded quite good. I know they're Emminence, and presumably partially based on Greenbacks, what else can you tell me about them ? Comparisons to other speakers ?

I assume they have them in the 8 ohms as well. Don't quote me. You hit the nail on the head with the emi take on the greenback. Thats about the closest I can put it. They rock with the wizard. I will say I can get better cleans with them than I can regular greenbacks.

Steve may be able to bring more light to this than me.... PAGING STEVE

When you look at Wizard's cabs, they are identical to Bogner 4x12's and the older US made Diezel's. I would imagine Wizard subs out his cabinet work to the same company. I am not sure which company this is, but I always thought it was Mojotone. Maybe not though. But they definitely do not have their own wood shop or proprietary cabs. The dimensions are standard. Having said that, the Bogner always sounded great to me. I am thinking with the MC100, an X pattern of V30's and G1265's or CL80's or their equivalents may work.

Steve

steve_k":37kwtgdy said:
When you look at Wizard's cabs, they are identical to Bogner 4x12's and the older US made Diezel's. I would imagine Wizard subs out his cabinet work to the same company. I am not sure which company this is, but I always thought it was Mojotone. Maybe not though. But they definitely do not have their own wood shop or proprietary cabs. The dimensions are standard. Having said that, the Bogner always sounded great to me. I am thinking with the MC100, an X pattern of V30's and G1265's or CL80's or their equivalents may work.

Steve

a lot alike in looks but they have a guy in house who does build them. I am sure they would have the same dude build them if they were stateside.

Erock's afterburner cab w/ v30's SMOKES.

steve_k":31vhsojp said:
When you look at Wizard's cabs, they are identical to Bogner 4x12's and the older US made Diezel's.
I would imagine Wizard subs out his cabinet work to the same company. I am not sure which company this is, but I always thought it was Mojotone. Maybe not though. But they definitely do not have their own wood shop or proprietary cabs. The dimensions are standard. Having said that, the Bogner always sounded great to me. I am thinking with the MC100, an X pattern of V30's and G1265's or CL80's or their equivalents may work.

Steve

Wizard & Bogner cabs are quite different. Tone, feel, both very different. Even the stock Mojotone is not the same as a Bogner, even if they made them for Bogner.

You owe it to yourself to try the Wiz with greenbacks or similar variation thereof. They just go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'd suggest an X of V30 + GB to start with something more familiar to you (the V30s).

thegame":7mvrw55c said:
steve_k":7mvrw55c said:
When you look at Wizard's cabs, they are identical to Bogner 4x12's and the older US made Diezel's.
I would imagine Wizard subs out his cabinet work to the same company. I am not sure which company this is, but I always thought it was Mojotone. Maybe not though. But they definitely do not have their own wood shop or proprietary cabs. The dimensions are standard. Having said that, the Bogner always sounded great to me. I am thinking with the MC100, an X pattern of V30's and G1265's or CL80's or their equivalents may work.

Steve

Wizard & Bogner cabs are quite different. Tone, feel, both very different. Even the stock Mojotone is not the same as a Bogner, even if they made them for Bogner.

You owe it to yourself to try the Wiz with greenbacks or similar variation thereof. They just go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'd suggest an X of V30 + GB to start with something more familiar to you (the V30s).

PB&J really rocks..... :rock:

I may try some different combinations and see what works. I have some G1275's that are still in the box. With V30's, they may sound OK. I was sniffing around on the Scumback site to see what may work too. Seems the M75's could be an option for a stock Chinese GB. I may give David Mills a shout too.

Steve

+1 on the Afterburner. I'm not searching for another cab. Quite satisfied with it. Just trying to get a better speaker mix. 2 Scumback M75's LHDC'c and two something else. I'm going to try 2 12-65's. the amp can pummel some speakers. I am also going to put the GT e34ls in because I know they stay cooler than the JJ's. The Wizard puts some heat on the tubes.

steve_k":5hfzn49u said:

Steve

Wizards cabs are most DEFINITELY proprietary made at the Wizard factory. There is no subbing out work in any step or part of building a Wizard amp.

joshsage":ahh541kw said:
thegame":ahh541kw said:

I assume they have them in the 8 ohms as well. Don't quote me. You hit the nail on the head with the emi take on the greenback. Thats about the closest I can put it. They rock with the wizard. I will say I can get better cleans with them than I can regular greenbacks.

Steve may be able to bring more light to this than me.... PAGING STEVE
You could get them in 8 ohms by special order.
They are like a greenback that has better bottom end and takes more abuse! :LOL: :LOL:

johnnyjellybean":16686432 said:
steve_k":16686432 said:

Steve

Wizards cabs are most DEFINITELY proprietary made at the Wizard factory. There is no subbing out work in any step or part of building a Wizard amp.

Thanks for clarifying that....

What's your take on a 4x12 speaker or combination for the MC100? No blues, no clean, no country spanky - lots of crunch, smooth leads and driven.

Steve

steve_k":2fa19vwu said:
johnnyjellybean":2fa19vwu said:
steve_k":2fa19vwu said:

Steve

Thanks for clarifying that....

What's your take on a 4x12 speaker or combination for the MC100? No blues, no clean, no country spanky - lots of crunch, smooth leads and driven.

Steve
Well I personally only use the Rock 20's or Greenbacks with my amps. I tried the Alnicos and personally found them a little too bright for my taste. I do intend on doing some experimenting with other speakers one day when I can find the time.

wheelman":3ckxporw said:
Josh is that you on Hey Joe? Good stuff! :rock:

Nah that's my cousin on that one. He is using his ernie ball axis on that one, I forgot to mention that one. But he currently plays a metal right now until he can afford an MC. He enjoys doing clips and playing around with the gear. He struck a gold mine here and gets his fill, but I will relay it to him. His name is bojangles on this forum, when he gets on. He loves his wizards.

Back