Marshall sounds with Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling amp now (on CL Los angeles if you're interested). Waaaay too loud for my needs, doesn't have a 100/50 watt switch like VHT/Fryette, Rivera or Mesa amps. And doesn't have Marshall crunch (I know it's not a marshall but whatever). Has a very intimidating dungeon sound with the deep knob up in ch 2 but still waaaaay too loud even with a 212. I'm thinking of trying a VHT since my favorite guitar player (Dean De Leo of STP) uses VHT and he plays a lot of distorted jazz chords like me (similar styles).

also, even with the gain around noon, I can't really hear the single notes in a E7#9, for example, in ch. 2 (i.e. sounds too muddy for the price this amp commands). I think my S120 does a little better in that respect.

Turning the depth knob off will get closer to a Marshall-ish bite. Diezel's don't need a half-power switch IMHO because their master volumes work so well. Dean DeLeo uses a Demeter TGP3 preamp into a VHT power amp (as well as an AC30 and lots of other layered amps), but VHT/Fryette amps are very nice. Sorry you didn't like the Einstein's articulation, but the Rivera S120 is a very different amp (as are Marshalls, really). Sounds like maybe the Einstein just isn't for you.

I'm thinking of going back to the AXE FX II. I had one and returned it. You can run two amps simul with it which is pretty cool but steep learning curve.

And I don't have a greenback loaded cab lying around and don't want to buy one. AXE FX II has it all...

AFXII is a very different beast. I had one and a Diezel blew it out of the room, but lots of folks like the AFXII, so it's just personal preference. If you just gotta have a Marshall sound, though: just buy a Marshall. They're pretty good at getting that tone. Diezels are great at sounding like Diezels. AFXII can sound similar to lots of amps, particularly good with Marshalls and excels at direct recording. Not very good with Diezel sims and IMHO not very good at producing amp-in-the-room sounds, even amplified through a guitar cab. Good luck.

cardinal":2uk8o7r4 said:
AFXII is a very different beast. I had one and a Diezel blew it out of the room, but lots of folks like the AFXII, so it's just personal preference. If you just gotta have a Marshall sound, though: just buy a Marshall. They're pretty good at getting that tone. Diezels are great at sounding like Diezels. AFXII can sound similar to lots of amps, particularly good with Marshalls and excels at direct recording. Not very good with Diezel sims and IMHO not very good at producing amp-in-the-room sounds, even amplified through a guitar cab. Good luck.

thx for the feedback. now back to square one...

marshalls lack the low-end/depth that rivera and diezel offer. i like to mix two amps and/or have a parallel efx loop. don't want to lug around so much gear and be insanely loud either... axe fx allows 2 simul amps, liked that feature.

rabies":3cg0ekk7 said:
also, even with the gain around noon, I can't really hear the single notes in a E7#9, for example, in ch. 2 (i.e. sounds too muddy for the price this amp commands). I think my S120 does a little better in that respect.

To be fair, I played the Rivera yesterday and noticed that the Diezel is less muddy with distorted jazz chords but I usually have the gain maxed out with OD in front on the Rivera. Rivera's tubes are at least 3 years old so it's not a fair comparison I guess. Sounds weaker with less harmonics/overtones.

Also, noticed that the Diezel is very quiet even in ch 2 compared to the Marshall or Rivera (which require a noise gate). The Diezel doesn't seem to need or like the Maxon OD808 pedal.

btw, can somebody please tell me what this chord is? I looked it up in my jazz chord substitution book and couldn't find it.

5th string: 7th fret
4th string: 8th fret
3rd string: 8th fret
2nd string: 8th fret

So you have the root (E), #11 (A#), maj7 (D#), minor 3rd (G)

***EDITED: sorry initially i was wrong about the individuals notes! ***

Ok so it's similar to the fingering for a Emaj7 except you flat 2 of the notes. Big difference in sound, this chord is in your face and funky (to me).

But the question becomes: is the root E or Eb? What if the root is E, then what does your app tell you?

Eb(addb9)/E#9-7A##Fbb ....... what´s going on here.

Buy whatever you want, but please play the f....ing Rock´n Roll guitar !

Cheers,
Peter :D

This is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-Wazsiaio

jeff beck rig rundown

he's using a Marshall DSL100H as one of his main amps. These sell for less than $1k on eBay. He uses rapco cables as well which are really cheap.

Yeah, I know, play yer fuckin guitar!

I'm going to try turning down the depth knob and see how it sounds...

Yes you can be uneducated, work hard and be lucky like bands like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1E3R_rJurM and likely have no clue about music theory.

I think it's funny when you watch a metal guitarist in an interview and they have no clue what chords they're playing, it's sad.

that being said, yes rock hard with the diezels, they're great metal amps, better than any other i've played. they definitely command the respect.

djpatb":2oawqrql said:
I used to have an Einstein and I thought CH. 1 could get pretty Marshally. Plug into a Greenback loaded cab and that should definitely do it.

Watch this guy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hoUmZ9G48

And like Cardinal said, Dean Deleo's sound is in the Demeter preamp.

hey i just watched this video, missed your link previously. yeah you're right that's a very close to marshall sounding clip. interesting.

is texas mode, the 2nd or 3rd position of the switch in ch 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back