What’s the tightest amp with the biggest low end you’ve played. ?

For tight I say Hermansson with his tight control. It's disjointing when you turn it up. I need to adjust to it because it feels like it is getting ahead of me. Tough to explain but it will rip your dick off.
That doesn’t sound good... I’d rather have Cameron steal my money than Hermansson rip my dick off YMMV

Would be curious though to try a Hermansson actually. Thanks for adding one more to my list that I thought was almost done

Yeah the Wizard and SLO aren’t as 3D as the iic+ imo. To me 3D has to do with tonal complexity and maybe things like harmonics or overtones. The most 3D sounding amps I have are my Gjika, 1980 Jim Kelley, ‘67 Marshall and one-off purpleface VH4 Protoype. My early ‘60’s Copperpanel AC30’s are also similarly 3D to those amps mentioned. The Dumble I tried was in a league of its own and should be considered at least 5D lol. Quite unusual
You barely can imagine, how concretely I know about what you're speaking.

During the time I'm building tube amps (more than 3 decades) altogether I've had 7 or 8 original Dumbles in my house - and moreover I've had uncounted Dumble clones of all coleur (VanWeelden, Bludotone, TwoRock, BrownNote, Fuchs, aso.) in my house. After this all and although all of the cloners (more or less) have cloned the orig. Dumble circuit, the layout, have used the same components, even the same transformers (at least the OT) I honestly can say, that nothing compares to an Original.

Don't get me wrong, the Dumbles I've had in my house didn't sound all the same spot on - no! But (sorry I'm a German and I don't have the right words) all these Dumbles did have something in their sound, this special kind of chirp and tonal charisma, moreover that kind of playing feel they gave me by playing through it...
... such a distinctive character, what I couldn't get out of any of all the clones.

Again don't get me wrong, the clones throughout didn't sound bad, quite the opposite some did sound really great by their own, especially the VanWeelden and the Bludo... but you could hear (and feel) with closed eyes and with your back to the speaker cab - no, this is not a Dumble.

Your "and should be considered at least 5D lol" made me smile and gave me the idea, that you maybe should ask sBlue how many D's he'd give his Larry British Purist.

You've already read his initial post in this thread: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/nad-larry-british-purist.209276/

What I still could add from my side is as follows, picked out of the user's manual:

"WARNING: Though the BRITISH PURIST TUBE AMP by LARRY isn't an overly aggressive or angry sounding Heavy Metal Beast, nonetheless it's the most powerful, dynamic and 'into your face sounding' amplifier of the Larry amp line. Hence not unfounded some guys already named this amp 'The Earthquake Generator'." :yes:

Last edited:
I've zero experience with any of the amps being talked about here. All I know is the 5150 sound. So is the C+ variants the best as far as brootz AND note clarity? How do these amps talked about here compare to the 5150 types?

You barely can imagine, how concretely I know about what you're speaking.

During the time I'm building tube amps (more than 3 decades) altogether I've had 7 or 8 original Dumbles in my house - and moreover I've had uncounted Dumble clones of all coleur (VanWeelden, Bludotone, TwoRock, BrownNote, Fuchs, aso.) in my house. After this all and although all of the cloners (more or less) have cloned the orig. Dumble circuit, the layout, have used the same components, even the same transformers (at least the OT) I honestly can say, that nothing compares to an Original.

Don't get me wrong, the Dumbles I've had in my house didn't sound all the same spot on - no! But (sorry I'm a German and I don't have the right words) all these Dumbles did have something in their sound, this special kind of chirp and tonal charisma, moreover that kind of playing feel they gave me by playing through it...
... such a distinctive character, what I couldn't get out of any of all the clones.

Again don't get me wrong, the clones throughout didn't sound bad, quite the opposite some did sound really great by their own, especially the VanWeelden and the Bludo... but you could hear (and feel) with closed eyes and with your back to the speaker cab - no, this is not a Dumble.

Your "and should be considered at least 5D lol" made me smile and gave me the idea, that you maybe should ask sBlue how many D's he'd give his Larry British Purist.

You've already read his initial post in this thread: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/nad-larry-british-purist.209276/

What I still could add from my side is as follows, picked out of the user's manual:

"WARNING: Though the BRITISH PURIST TUBE AMP by LARRY isn't an overly aggressive or angry sounding Heavy Metal Beast, nonetheless it's the most powerful, dynamic and 'into your face sounding' amplifier of the Larry amp line. Hence not unfounded some guys already named this amp 'The Earthquake Generator'." :yes:
Yes I agree, I’ve tried lots of the various clones (Two Rock’s, Bludotone, Fuchs, Smartbelle, and others). I’ve only tried one real Dumble, but none of those clones were anywhere near the experience of playing the real deal. The Bludotone was the best I’ve tried of the copies, but still nowhere near as good as the one Dumble I tried

I do remember sBlue’s post about the British Purist. I would be very interested in trying a British Purist and Wrecky too, but for now look forward very much to the PMM. Very excited for it! I’m hoping it can send other amps packing and maybe then later can also afford a British Purist or Wrecky. Would be very curious about the Wrecky. Have not yet tried a real Trainwreck, but have tried some clones including the Komet’s

Yes I agree, I’ve tried lots of the various clones (Two Rock’s, Bludotone, Fuchs, Smartbelle, and others). I’ve only tried one real Dumble, but none of those clones were anywhere near the experience of playing the real deal. The Bludotone was the best I’ve tried of the copies, but still nowhere near as good as the one Dumble I tried
I fully agree - the Bludotone comes closest (still with easily noticeable distance) to the Masterpiece of the Mastermind. Again with some distance 2nd is the VanWeelden Twinkleland, then (sorry) I can't feel any desire to all the other clones :giggle:

The VanWeelden I've had on my bench btw. was the amp from Joe Bonamassa. One of the roadies has dropped the amp by accident, as Joe has been on tour through Germany and the amp didn't work anymore. Then I've loaned Joe my personal British Purist for 2 shows - and he's been very very pleased by this amp. I still can remember his words after playing only the Classic channel in boost mode, which he replied several times: "Woah, what a great sound - woah..." :p

Attachments

• 101_0873.JPG
    101_0873.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 101_0878.JPG
    101_0878.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 49
In other words you've said, that your entire life you never have eaten anything else than Burgers?
You've never eaten a Steak? No Spare Ribs? Or a German Schweinebraten mit Kloß?
Are you serious?
You don't know shit about bbq ribs

I fully agree - the Bludotone comes closest (still with easily noticeable distance) to the Masterpiece of the Mastermind. Again with some distance 2nd is the VanWeelden Twinkleland, then (sorry) I can't feel any desire to all the other clones :giggle:

The VanWeelden I've had on my bench btw. was the amp from Joe Bonamassa. One of the roadies has dropped the amp by accident, as Joe has been on tour through Germany and the amp didn't work anymore. Then I've loaned Joe my personal British Purist for 2 shows - and he's been very very pleased by this amp. I still can remember his words after playing only the Classic channel in boost mode, which he replied several times: "Woah, what a great sound - woah..." :p
Very cool! I remember seeing pics of him with your amps. Would love to hear a British Purist and Wrecky. Have you ever heard any Jim Kelley’s or Gjika’s? I know Bonamassa has also used those amps as well. Those are also some of my favorite amps that I have and also I think very 3D and complex sounding

I actually got to AB that Dumble I’ve tried with my Jim Kelley and while the Dumble clearly was better and had special things the Kelley couldn’t do, the Kelley I think sounded sweeter and more open/big

The Dumble had this quality where the notes actually get better and more complex sounding as they sustain and ring out for leads. The other thing I remember was that it didn’t seem like an amp that would have enough gain or compression for shredding (like fast leads or sweep picking) yet still somehow sounded outstanding for it. I’ve never heard an amp of that gain or compression level do that

Last edited:
In other words you've said, that your entire life you never have eaten anything else than Burgers?
You've never eaten a Steak? No Spare Ribs? Or a German Schweinebraten mit Kloß?
Are you serious?
I've never had any of these "holy grail" amps in my possession.

Also, I think you are heavily underestating the all-powerful 🍔

I've zero experience with any of the amps being talked about here. All I know is the 5150 sound. So is the C+ variants the best as far as brootz AND note clarity? How do these amps talked about here compare to the 5150 types?

Mark amps in general are a good balance of a lot of things. Plenty of low end, but fast and tight enough to handle an 8-string without a boost (I couldn't use the 5150 without something to tame the low end). Single-note leads still have a nice weight to them despite a somewhat mid scooped , modern tone. Nice bite and brightness without being harsh.

IME you don't need a C+ to hear all of that. The III etc. have the same core sound. And I wouldn't say the Mark is the ultimate amp. They sound really good, but I still tend to prefer other amps with a more distinctive voicing, like the Recto or Marshall. It just depends on what you like.

Any high gain amp works.

You tighten with a boost so OD pedal gain to zero and level up.

Then you buy a 7 or 8 string guitar.

Tune down to A or B Standard or Drop B or Drop A#.

Only play the top two low strings.

Copy the same Meshuggah riff and alter it to taste.

Or....

Just play bass instead with some fx pedals.

I was talking about this the other day, and came to this conclusion:
When I go to the Jam room, I can’t play the C+ first. If I do, my 2203 and Cam Jose will sound dull when I fire them up. The 72 is a different animal and is on the same level as the C+. These are all different tones, and none are a 5150 variant but my point is, the complexity of what I hear when I play the Coliseum is just way more pleasing to my ears than my other Marshalls except the 72. Very different tone but your ears know what sounds good, and what sounds GREAT.

I was talking about this the other day, and came to this conclusion:
When I go to the Jam room, I can’t play the C+ first. If I do, my 2203 and Cam Jose will sound dull when I fire them up. The 72 is a different animal and is on the same level as the C+. These are all different tones, and none are a 5150 variant but my point is, the complexity of what I hear when I play the Coliseum is just way more pleasing to my ears than my other Marshalls except the 72. Very different tone but your ears know what sounds good, and what sounds GREAT.
Are you playing high gain metal?

Back