Lets see your Splawns and get some dialog started here.

I'm still rolling the Chinese pre amp tubes that came with mine, but I did put in a JJ in V1 to warm up the clean.
I have new Mullards, EH, JJ's Tung-sol pre amp tubes I can try. Also have for power tubes JJ's, Svetlanas EH, Mullards, SED Winged C's
and a pair of Mesa branded El-34 STR's from the early 2000's. I've got JJ EL-34's in mine now, I ran EL-34L's in my JVM but I was worried they might be to bass heavy in the Splawn. I've got to get off my butt and do some "tube rolling" with this thing some time and see if I really hear a difference with different tubes.

Power tube rolling would be so much easier with external bias points. That is my only complaint with the QR.

ya that's why I haven't done it yet , I'll have to take the chasis out of the head shell and since I like it so far as is I can't be bothered
but I may be missing out on something . I don't know if power tubes make as much of a difference in tone as pre amp tubes do though.
I've been using JJ's for years and except for my JVM (which had original Svetlanas in it until the end , then I went with JJ EL-34L's) I've always used them. anyone ever try KT-77's in a Splawn? I know my old JSX loved them and I ran them in a Mesa Rectoverb 50 and they sounded great.

I have yet to try KT77s
I just put in some JJ EL34 IIs per PDC's recommendation.
I was running SED =C= EL34s before that that Laura recommended.
I just ordered some Mullard Reissue EL34s
I started with this amp with Mullard Reissues
I would love to try some EL34Ls

For preamp tubes I've tried lots of stuff similar to Kmanick's list. Chinese, JJ, Tung Sol, Svetlana, GT, EHX, and some others I probably forgot.
I mostly like the JJ 12AX7 I guess but don't mind mixing stuff around. I've had pretty good luck with Tube Depot, Eurotubes and GC but it was Doug at dougstubes.com that turned me onto the JAN Phillips 5751 for the phase inverter and also the Penta Labs 9th Gen (Chinese). The 5751 is such a cool tube. Super clear, slightly less gain. I think I have it in my Rectoverb head now. It also works well in most V1 slots (V2) on a Splawn.

Quick Rod:

qfPHK6z.jpg

ZEN Amps I am not usually a fan of JJ's so pretty much anything but. Chinese square getters no matter what rev. work for me in a Splawn.

That would have been me. Thought it was needed and suggested it to the mods. Seems to be rocking so far.
Awesome! Thanks for doing that. When I first got here I asked why there was no Splawn subforum and was told that the manufacturer would have to participate in said subforum and answer questions etc. Scott doesn't do forums.

Glad to see that whole 'rule' get relaxed and glad a mod (assuming nero) took the time to do that for us. :yes:

Thanks!
Street Rod has a Creamback 65, extension cab has Greenback.
How do you like that combo? I have a pair of those Creambacks and a pair of UK Greenbacks sitting in their respective boxes. I've been thinking about maybe getting an empty 4X12 from Scott and loading those in , instead of selling them , Greenbacks on top Creambacks on the bottom

How do you like that combo? I have a pair of those Creambacks and a pair of UK Greenbacks sitting in their respective boxes. I've been thinking about maybe getting an empty 4X12 from Scott and loading those in , instead of selling them , Greenbacks on top Creambacks on the bottom
It depends on the sound you're looking for but to my ears they sound GREAT! I like a more classic vibe, for the record I can't stand V30's, just too harsh and in your face (and apparently thats worse with Splawns but to each his own), G12H30's are a decent compromise between the V30 and the Greenback/Creamback it seems.

They complement each other really well, the Creamback has a mid range warmth to it that the edgier Greenback works really well with.

I think that's a great idea, I've got the Creamback on top in the SR and the Greenback on the bottom... maybe try an X pattern too. That's what I did when I ordered my 1x12 extension cab, came empty and I put the Greenie I had in my old Blackstar cab in it.

Back