Looking for an amp

TBsq

Hi, I'm looking that has the following characteristics:

- Lots of headroom for clean sound in a rehearsal or small gig context
- Not too powerful (100W is too much)
- At least two channels with separated real EQs
- Clean sounds like this : Slint - Don, Aman || American Football - Never Meant || Unwound - October All Over
- Distortion sounds like this : Discordance Axis - Angel Present || Orchid - In G And E || Converge - Jane Doe || White Suns - Clairvoyant
- No Marshall, Fender, EVH
- Under 2000€ second-hand
- Findable in Europe

Bonus:

- FX loop
- DI output
- Attenuator

Thank you in advance!

So what wattage is low enough? This can be a bit conflicting because small gig/rehearsal context to me means really loud being that you’re not mic’ing a cab?

the issues you have there is the headroom you’re after, when pushing loud volumes is all about having a higher watt amp in my experience.

Rivera Knucklehead

Go for the K100 or newer models. The 100 watts is where your clean headroom is at. Lower wattage means less headroom.

I don't know what wattage is low enough. But I currently have a 100w amp and it's really too much for me, at less than half the volume I get the clean headroom I need.

Rivera Knucklehead

Go for the K100 or newer models. The 100 watts is where your clean headroom is at. Lower wattage means less headroom.
I dunno. He thinks 100w is too much. There’s 100 watts. And then there’s 100 Rivera watts. Rumor is they use them to move planes at airports.

I don't know what wattage is low enough. But I currently have a 100w amp and it's really too much for me, at less than half the volume I get the clean headroom I need.
I dunno. He thinks 100w is too much. There’s 100 watts. And then there’s 100 Rivera watts. Rumor is they use them to move planes at airports.
Nobody says she's gotta take the whole thing. If she's happy with just the tip, let her scream.

Yeah but I don't want the price and inconveniences of the extra wattage if I'm never going to use it.

The thing that really sells me on the Knucklehead is the tube buffered effects loop. Even when I don't use it, I still jump it with a cable and use the send and return volumes to tweak the amp. It works like an attenuater, in that you get an extra tube to sweeten it up, and an extra knob to turn it down. It's like a magic trick.

If you like your current amp (besides the wattage), maybe consider getting an attenuator of some sort to cut the volume back
I don't like it.

The thing that really sells me on the Knucklehead is the tube buffered effects loop. Even when I don't use it, I still jump it with a cable and use the send and return volumes to tweak the amp. It works like an attenuater, in that you get an extra tube to sweeten it up, and an extra knob to turn it down. It's like a magic trick.
Please refer to my previous answer.

I have had one for a long time and completely agree. It will do what you want and they are pretty cheap.

Back