Help picking a diezel

Dyllheaven88

So I’ve been gassing over a vh4 for a while now . I’ve had the Schmidt,Einstein and lil Fokker . I mostly play modern metal but appreciate a good clean and some classic heavy rock crunch . I’ve loved all my diezels for different reasons wondering what would be the best option !

So I’ve been gassing over a vh4 for a while now . I’ve had the Schmidt,Einstein and lil Fokker . I mostly play modern metal but appreciate a good clean and some classic heavy rock crunch . I’ve loved all my diezels for different reasons wondering what would be the best option !
VHX is my recommendation for modern metal. From what I understand, it has more gain than the others, but still capable of achieving the sounds of all of Diezel's other amps. But with the extra bit of gain and flexibility to change the voicing to tighter sounds and go into its own thing, I find I can easily get away without using an OD. Adding to that, the green (clean) channel is pristine, and the yellow channel (crunch) and lower gain settings on the blue channel (higher gain rhythm channel) will get you anywhere from classic to hard rock if that's your thing sometimes.

Of course, it is a bit more than the VH4, but for all the added sounds and features you get, it's a very small price to pay in comparison, it's not as though it's so much more that it puts it into a different category of price range.

VHX is definitely up there with flexibility and endless options.

My vote would go to the Hagen, or the Herbert Mk.3

The VH4 is incredible, no doubt about it - however I see the Hagen as an extension of the VH4s evolution; and the Mk.3 of the Herbert has been getting rave reviews from all kinds of different players worldwide. Are you in a band? Only reason I ask is "it's all about where the mids sit" - and in band/live/gigging sessions, I know the former iterations of the Herbert, while incredibly potent and loud, have a hard time cutting through the mix - whereas the VH4 sits perfectly, as does the Hagen.

VH4 - iconic, can't lose
Hagen - newer VH4 with more flexibility
Herbert Mk.3 - balls out nuclear
VHX - the Elon Musk of refinement & options :ROFLMAO:

VHX is definitely up there with flexibility and endless options.

My vote would go to the Hagen, or the Herbert Mk.3

The VH4 is incredible, no doubt about it - however I see the Hagen as an extension of the VH4s evolution; and the Mk.3 of the Herbert has been getting rave reviews from all kinds of different players worldwide. Are you in a band? Only reason I ask is "it's all about where the mids sit" - and in band/live/gigging sessions, I know the former iterations of the Herbert, while incredibly potent and loud, have a hard time cutting through the mix - whereas the VH4 sits perfectly, as does the Hagen.

VH4 - iconic, can't lose
Hagen - newer VH4 with more flexibility
Herbert Mk.3 - balls out nuclear
VHX - the Elon Musk of refinement & options :ROFLMAO:

Or better:

VHX - the Leonardo da Vinci of refinement & options!

No offense to Elon 😂😂

I’m looking to get another project rolling soon but playing at home at band volumes isn’t a huge issue as I’m creating a “music room “ in the house . The Hagen looks and sounds awesome from all the clips ! The vh4 is so iconic to me !

I’m looking to get another project rolling soon but playing at home at band volumes isn’t a huge issue as I’m creating a “music room “ in the house . The Hagen looks and sounds awesome from all the clips ! The vh4 is so iconic to me !
FWIW, and feel free to go back and search my posts for "proof of consistency" in my replies/posts.

I've got the VH4, Hagen and D-Moll.

They're ALL outstanding amps. I'd not wanna part with any of 'em - ever. But the ones under my recording desk that are always ready to go? Hagen in #1 spot, followed by D-Moll in #2 for the Diezel camp. That's for DI recording - and I also LOVE my Hagen "in the room" whenever jamming or practising - I love love love the Hagen. Lower/moderate output pups are liked by Diezels, just an FYI. I love the "consistency" of the VH4, but - as stated many a time - I'd spend 80%, maybe 90% of my time on Ch.3 of the VH4. I spend about about 80% of the time on ALL channels of the Hagen with the balance given to Ch.1 and Ch.3. It's VERY usable and VERY musical and cops all kinds of techniques to get it to sound and react either tight or loose or punchy or greasy.

/end

Josh has a great breakdown here on the Hagen in several segments:

Peace & Powerchords!
UnkleMo

Josh has a great breakdown here on the Hagen in several segments:

Peace & Powerchords!
UnkleMo

Your making my choice sincerely harder haha ! I’ve owned the lil Fokker , Schmidt and the Einstein and loved them all for different reasons . I’m a huge diezel fan . So I know I’ll win either way but def appreciate all the input from you guys !!

I'm little bit suprise..nobody talk about the Paul..it seems to be a good alternative for vintage/modern style.
For me, it's the mix between the schmidt and einstein.

The OG Herbert is so good, I have no desire to try and get a mk3. The amp is perfect as is. And it’s absolutely stunning in a mix… recording, not live. It’s my desert island recording amp for sure out of the 8-9 high gain Amps I own, but live, yes probably not the best option.

You guys do have me intrigued on buying a VH4 pedal though and using it in front of the Herberts power amp though… never thought of this. Anyone actually tried it?

I have not, but I know that the VH4 pedal does a really good job of that ch3 sound and feel for the preamp input. I can’t imagine that it would not sound amazing through the Herb. I have heard from many people that the single button version has a better tone than the two button/dual channel version of the pedal. EytschPi42 on Youtube has several videos about the VH4 pedal and one where he compares it directly with a VH4 and THROUGH a VH4. I know there would be a little bit of difference in the Herb’s massive transformers, but it could give you an idea of what to kind of expect

I’m still leaning towards a vh4 because it’s so iconic but really curious to hear this done as well ! I can’t find a vh4 to play before purchase though and it’s a lotta coin .

Have you considered a VH2? Less coin, same iconic tones 🤷🏻‍♂️ It really does cover just about all of the VH4 on the fly if you can use your volume knob on your guitar. Just no MIDI.

Have you considered a VH2? Less coin, same iconic tones 🤷🏻‍♂️ It really does cover just about all of the VH4 on the fly if you can use your volume knob on your guitar. Just no MIDI.
I have looked at them but I’m curious if it still has that magic vh4 dust sprinkled on there hahs

Back