Carol-Ann Amps...

BloozGuitar

Brand new member here!

I bought a Carol-Ann OD2r head not really knowing what to expect. I'm just wondering if there are other CA owners here - past or present - and what they like or don't like about the amps. There aren't many for sale on the used market so for an amp that cost $2495 brand new, what would you say is a fair USED price?

Thanks!

BloozGuitar":2o4dg3zc said:
Brand new member here!

I bought a Carol-Ann OD2r head not really knowing what to expect. I'm just wondering if there are other CA owners here - past or present - and what they like or don't like about the amps. There aren't many for sale on the used market so for an amp that cost $2495 brand new, what would you say is a fair USED price?

Thanks!

Plug it in and let us know.

BloozGuitar":1ooljwbq said:
Brand new member here!

Thanks!

I just recently got into the Carol Ann game over the last couple months. I picked up a Tucana 3 and a Triptik 2. I actually dig them a lot. Excellent clean to slightly broken up tones. The mid gain and higher gain sounds are great as well. Top notch quality builds. They both sit great in the mix. Here is a clip of some of the mid gain tones from my band rehearsal. We play anything from the Cars to COC, AIC Type O etc.. Ultimately, I will be letting one go as I dont need both and I havent decided which as of yet.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-schwartz-442702885

Thanks for posting! Definitely gives good examples of the amp. Definitely sat well in the mix and the JC tones were good too! I've not played one but have been wondering what was behind the door on CA amps.

I have two. An OD3r and an original Triptik. I love them both. The trip has a chewy Marshall thing going on and the OD3 is in a world of its own when it comes to clean, it’s such a lovely clean and the the drive channels really carry on, thick and full sounding, covers a lot of ground sonically stopping at heavy rock although I successfully used it in an Iron ?Maiden covers band.

Great amps that really interact with your playing and allow you to come through.

I had the first Triptik 100 Allen built and I have always missed it. Something about it that makes me want another.

My Wife would always refer to my amps and guitars as my mistresses. I walked in the house and asked her is she would hold the front door while I carried it in. I took it out of the car and the name badge was facing out. As I walked through the door she said " They have fuckin names now" True story.

glip22":38h1q83r said:
I had the first Triptik 100 Allen built and I have always missed it. Something about it that makes me want another.

My Wife would always refer to my amps and guitars as my mistresses. I walked in the house and asked her is she would hold the front door while I carried it in. I took it out of the car and the name badge was facing out. As I walked through the door she said " They have fuckin names now" True story.
:LOL: :LOL:
My wife just spit out her coffee.

I just recently got into the Carol Ann game over the last couple months. I picked up a Tucana 3 and a Triptik 2. I actually dig them a lot. Excellent clean to slightly broken up tones. The mid gain and higher gain sounds are great as well. Top notch quality builds. They both sit great in the mix. Here is a clip of some of the mid gain tones from my band rehearsal. We play anything from the Cars to COC, AIC Type O etc.. Ultimately, I will be letting one go as I dont need both and I havent decided which as of yet.

Hey, English, still got the Triptik 2?

Having owned many CA'S.
Love the cleans to edge of break-up.
But once the overdrive channels get clicked,
NO.
Too dark, almost sounds like air and when cut gets added, it just was blah.
The best of his stuff wash his single channel JTM50.🤟

The Tucs, Trips, OD2-3 all suffered the channel switcher dilemma.
Same with the Mesa Lonestar Classic.

Having owned many CA'S.
Love the cleans to edge of break-up.
I went down that rabbit hole too...of the 3 I had I liked the OD2r the best. In the end it I moved even that one, the sound wasn't enough for me to overcome the dumb name 😂 Mentoneman had some killer demos of that little amp. Alan always seems to have one foot in both the bitter dude / genius amp builder camp and rainbows and unicorns camp. He‘s just slightly ahead of Divided by 13 Fred when it comes to letting you know if you’re worthy of owning his amp.

I went down that rabbit hole too...of the 3 I had I liked the OD2r the best. In the end it I moved even that one, the sound wasn't enough for me to overcome the dumb name 😂 Mentoneman had some killer demos of that little amp. Alan always seems to have one foot in both the bitter dude / genius amp builder camp and rainbows and unicorns camp. He‘s just slightly ahead of Divided by 13 Fred when it comes to letting you know if you’re worthy of owning his amp.
Couldn’t agree more. He came across as a real douche bag with zero people skills

Couldn’t agree more. He came across as a real douche bag with zero people skills
I'm sorry this was your experience. He was always very cool with me and shared a lot of his knowledge. Perhaps its his understated "British" cultural way of expressing himself that you may have misunderstood? I miss two of his amps that I owned. An OD2 100 that was so killer and a Triptik 2 100. Both of these amps were amazing. The latter was amazing at the only gig I used it at. It had the expressiveness and bloom of a Train wreck Express. The clean tones were equally impressive. That is one of the amps I truly regret selling..mmmm...

I'm sorry this was your experience. He was always very cool with me and shared a lot of his knowledge. Perhaps its his understated "British" cultural way of expressing himself that you may have misunderstood? I miss two of his amps that I owned. An OD2 100 that was so killer and a Triptik 2 100. Both of these amps were amazing. The latter was amazing at the only gig I used it at. It had the expressiveness and bloom of a Train wreck Express. The clean tones were equally impressive. That is one of the amps I truly regret selling..mmmm...
Man, Alan's actually a down to earth guy.
Our lives can change any moment and we all get our turn at the wheel.
I sent him a Triptik2 a while back for an upgrade, then all the drama started.
I get it, he had my amp a longtime but he made it right, waved the fee AND shipping.
I do really dig his JTM 50, just killer!

Back