nut width for chubtone order?

ClintN667

So I'm trying to put together a chubtone order as I've been wanting a Charvel type ss guitar. I'm kinda lost on nut spacing though. What do you guys recommend? 1 5/8?

Also for you guys who have ordered one, what bridge did you go with? I only have 3 guitars right now but its 2 evertune and one floyd so I'm thinking about a gotoh bridge.

This is kind of a weird question. It brings up other questions in my mind, such as;

"How do you get nerdy enough to be a regular poster on a forum like this, but not know what nut size you would want on a guitar?"

I personally would also be leaning to Dave's idea, 1 3/4" with an R3 or R4 nut just for the sake of a little more dancefloor.

Reactions: PDC
I just did an order and I used 1 11/16. All my guitars in recent years have been the smaller nut width so I changed it up. I do not think you can go wrong either way.

I've owned Charvel guitars with all three sizes, including a 1 3/4" with R3. I have no preference. In terms of resale value (or appeal) down the road, the guitars with the 1 11/16" width always seemed the most desirable among buyers. On the other ones I would always get "love the guitar, but can't play that nut width size"

I've owned Charvel guitars with all three sizes, including a 1 3/4" with R3. I have no preference. In terms of resale value (or appeal) down the road, the guitars with the 1 11/16" width always seemed the most desirable among buyers. On the other ones I would always get "love the guitar, but can't play that nut width size"
If resale is important, I agree 1 11/16 is safe. I’ve passed on quite a few guitars with 1 5/8th nuts. I know it’s a very small difference, but I have big hands and that little bit is noticeable.

This is a pretty personal thing, and it just depends on what you like, and the size of your hands.

I would prefer 1 5/8 R2, but I have small hands and like narrow necks.

The common Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, etc... are all 1 11/16 R3. ESP, Schecter, and EVH Wolfgangs tend to be 42mm, or close to 1 5/8.

Last edited:
This is kind of a weird question. It brings up other questions in my mind, such as;

"How do you get nerdy enough to be a regular poster on a forum like this, but not know what nut size you would want on a guitar?"

I personally would also be leaning to Dave's idea, 1 3/4" with an R3 or R4 nut just for the sake of a little more dancefloor.
You know I've just never had a preference on this. I have a preference on about a million things from fret material to tubes, to what resistors and caps I like in my amps. Nut width and fretboard radius though not really a spec that jumps out at me as "this is my spec."

You know I've just never had a preference on this. I have a preference on about a million things from fret material to tubes, to what resistors and caps I like in my amps. Nut width and fretboard radius though not really a spec that jumps out at me as "this is my spec."
It's one of those things that I don't notice, until I do.

Now after reading Shask's post I think I'm leaning towars 1 -11/16 based on his examples.

I'm almost there on my specs now. Just trying to figure if I want a Flame maple or not and then bridge.

I have become very accustomed to 1-11/16” nut width. I recently built a slew of non-locking strats and had a hard time finding 1-3/4” pre-cut nuts. 1-11/16” seems to be the industry standard. I am really digging the Earvana compensated ‘Drop-In’ piece. But I totally agree that you can easily ride an R3 Floyd Nut on a 1-3/4 nut shelf and keep the high and low ‘E’ strings just a touch further away from the edge of the f-board.

Now after reading Shask's post I think I'm leaning towars 1 -11/16 based on his examples.

I'm almost there on my specs now. Just trying to figure if I want a Flame maple or not and then bridge.
What color are you going with? That's the only thing I have left to spec for mine and I can't freakin decide!

What color are you going with? That's the only thing I have left to spec for mine and I can't freakin decide!
I'm going to try for a Flame Maple with a trans gray burst if its possible. If not I will probably do something simple like white or black. Im not sure what they can offer.

I have an old GMW/Charvel neck that's 1 5/8". It's beautiful to play and really the narrow nut doesn't affect much, but anytime I want to play arpeggio-chords near the nut, I really have to concentrate not to accidentally mute a string I don't want muted. At 1 11/16" it's just subconscious, and 1 3/4" feels like lots of real estate, which is really nice.

I can't remember what nut width I went with but got a Floyd on mine. I almost went hardtail bit have a history with Curt and Charvel and hair metal tall, so decided to keep it 80s. :) My Chubtone stays in tune great and plays amazing. Been really happy with it!

R3 nut.

I like a 1 3/4 nut size with an R3 nut. This way I get more meat on the sides of both E strings.
This is exactly what I have going on with my Charvel Nitro Aged San Dimas. I love the wide neck. The factory R5 nut put the strings way too close to the edge. R3 is perfect.

Back