Favorite Tube Screamer for metal?

As mentioned, amp dependent. I have several OD's. Some Jive, some don't. Right now, my MXR M-77 is king with the Smallbox, while higher end, more expensive OD's I have don't work as well. Including a Buxom Boost, and VFE Dragon.

For me, TS-types seem to love 6L6's, and SD-1 types seem to pair well with EL34's. Just my experience, YMMV, of course.

It depends on the amp but I either use a Deadweald duality(standard on some, Dx on others) or the SD1. My Caldera is not high gain. It's basically a little more than a molecular with the clippers off but hit it with the SD1 and all of the sudden I dont miss my leviathan anymore.

Boost are really a personal thing though. And something Ive noticed is a boost will sometimes rob the character of the amp. Like for example I can get my mark iv and my Kartakou colossus almost identical whether I like it or not when using the same boost. I dont know maybe that's me.

Honker, by TL Pedals (out of Canada)... less mid hump (which makes the name Honker a bit weird), and with more gain. My favorite TS.

For my Michael RT modded Marshall I use my Fortin Maxon OD9 (sounds unreal), my other amps favor my Keeley modded SD-1

As mentioned, amp dependent. I have several OD's. Some Jive, some don't. Right now, my MXR M-77 is king with the Smallbox, while higher end, more expensive OD's I have don't work as well. Including a Buxom Boost, and VFE Dragon.

For me, TS-types seem to love 6L6's, and SD-1 types seem to pair well with EL34's. Just my experience, YMMV, of course.
Honestly, I think I like the SD-1 better than the 808 in most amps.

For chewy, and some mid honk: TS-Mini or vintage TS9
for more clear/raw tones with more low-end heft: LED modded DOD 250.

The modded DOD + Engl Savage 60 almost does a Larry-like tone. With the TS9 you wouldn't get there at all.
SD-1 is fine, as is the OD-3 if you're using single coils.

Wildcards:
Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz in boost mode.
Boss FA-1 FET Amp (and its clones)
Zoom PD-01 Power Drive (AKA 'poor man's Klon')

Strymon Sunset and I like the fact that I have seen no one else on these boards uses this pedal lol........I love alot of OD's and own a TS 808 clone and a Amptweaker Tight Drive but nothing has beaten my Strymon for the past 5 years its my baby...

Strymon Sunset and I like the fact that I have seen no one else on these boards uses this pedal lol........I love alot of OD's and own a TS 808 clone and a Amptweaker Tight Drive but nothing has beaten my Strymon for the past 5 years its my baby...
Interesting, never heard of the Strymon Sunset. Thanks!

Back