Mesa Boogie .50 caliber Metal...

how are you running the exciter and DBX in this signal chain? in other words - how much of this sickness is coming from the amp versus the rack gear?

Fuck... First time trying this amazing amp... It sounds monstrous when paired with the Aphex aural exciter Dbx 166 xl

I had one and it was a great little amp. It has a Mark kinda sound to it, but still has it's own voice. Corrosion Of Conformity used those amps to record most of their albums, and they used em live too. Pepper used to run through a couple .50 caliber + heads when they toured, now he uses Orange and their tone just ain't the same anymore. .

I had one and it was a great little amp. It has a Mark kinda sound to it, but still has it's own voice. Corrosion Of Conformity used those amps to record most of their albums, and they used em live too. Pepper used to run through a couple .50 caliber + heads when they toured, now he uses Orange and their tone just ain't the same anymore. .
Ditto! His old tone was much better!

When were those .50 DC Calibres made? I feel like they were from some kind of 'in-limbo' lost period? Were they released around the same time as the Rectifiers?

Sounds good!
Those old .50 Calibers are one of my favorite Mesa amps.
Great clean channel.
Versatile drive channel that can go from Marshally crunch to Mark-like heavies.
I believe they use a smaller output tranny that's more like 35 watts, so they're not quite as punchy as something like a 50 watt JMP or Bassman.
Unbelievable value on the used market. Well, they used to be. I see on Reverb that the prices on these are going up as well.

Had a DC-5 head; loved the cleans...HUUUUUGE, punchy, fat, wide, sparkly.
Drive channel was indeed a bit blended between Mark and Recto. The low-end slightly fuzzy flub was pretty much impossible to dial out (mind you, I like my amps really tight...Engl Savage/Mesa Mark-tight!), which eventually made me sell it.
Not really Marshally tones to be had, so I wonder how the .50 Cal is different then.

I did a clip when I had mine...you can hear that wooly, fuzzy thing in the low-mids going on pretty good here when I switch to the drive channel.

https://streamable.com/fpvl7h

50Cal+ is the most marshall mesa they ever made. I bought one new in 89 they didnt make them but 3-4 years I think

So I found one of these and bought it after seeing this thread the other day.
Such a fun lil amp!
I set it up warm and brink of crunchy on the clean channel, which makes the lead channel good for middy leads, and also good for heavy rhythm tones with the eq engaged. Nirvana, AIC, COC, Metallica all doable.
It's so much fun that I'm eyeing a red stripe MkIII 60 watt.
I wonder how they differ.

So I found one of these and bought it after seeing this thread the other day.
Such a fun lil amp!
I set it up warm and brink of crunchy on the clean channel, which makes the lead channel good for middy leads, and also good for heavy rhythm tones with the eq engaged. Nirvana, AIC, COC, Metallica all doable.
It's so much fun that I'm eyeing a red stripe MkIII 60 watt.
I wonder how they differ.
Get it now! One of the best boogie amps ever! It does the old tallica thing in spades!

Back