Is it me, or have Daddario's gone to shit?

napalmdeath

I've used EXL110's for 20 years, and typically buy the 10-packs. Last couple years, something's changed. I've gotten matted strings, kinks, some with corrosion on them, (seems like D and G strings), and they just seem shitty quality anymore. Is it me?

I used Ernie Ball for years prior, but thought they wore quicker, but I'm thinking of trying them again. I change strings ALOT. I play about 8-10 hours a week, and change strings about twice a month. Sometimes 3 times, if I play more.

I have noticed that with the 10-packs, you have a higher chance of getting fucked up strings. It has happened to me so many times.

But I don't get that with the single packs.

You could be right. I don't notice as much with the 3 packs, but noticed a few years back, they started coming with gold inner wire, which I gotta think is some cheap, cost-cutting material.

I had a 3 pack of exl110's that were absolute shit recently but every other pack since has been fine. I've been digging DR's lately.

I noticed something about them, couldn’t put a finger on it, but I switched to Dunlop and Ernie Ball a few years ago and never looked back.

I haven't noticed any issues with my daddario 3 vs 10 packs.
I don't see why 10 packs would be any different than single or three packs, the strings are coming off the same production line I would assume.

I haven't noticed any issues with my daddario 3 vs 10 packs.
I don't see why 10 packs would be any different than single or three packs, the strings are coming off the same production line I would assume.

I know that it doesn't seem to make a lot or any sense at all in theory, but in my personal experience, this happens.

I don't know why it does, but it has happened to me with multiple 10-packs.

I stopped using Daddarios about 15 years ago because they felt different. Stiffer and rougher. They swear they haven’t changed the string formula but something happened.

Same. Stopped using them a few years ago, maybe 2012.

Elixir nanowebs ever since. I love them. For me they sound and feel great and last way longer, and I have dirty fingers. Haven’t looked back in almost 10 years.

Thomastik Infeld Power Brights:

3 x the price of EB slinkies but last at least 3 x longer. Fewer string changes! They make your everyday EBs and Daddarios sound like rubber bands in comparison but not in a stiff high tension or excessively bright toned way at all. You have to play and feel them to understand. Also they intonate more accurately than anything I’ve tried before.

I bought 20 3-packs 6 string 10-46,and 10 3-packs 10-52 7 string sets one year ago.at the last week I changed strings on 2 guitars.on both guitars the first string broke after a couple of days.during the year I changed a lot of strings on different guitars, but before there were no problems with these strings

I’ll also add I’ve had plain string (e,b,g) Daddarios come unraveled at the ball end. That’s just poor quality control. As for quality changes over the years, I’ve read unsubstantiated reports that all major string companies have began using recycled metals in recent years. I haven’t researched that any further but it may explain why a number of people say EBs and Daddarios aren’t the same as they used to be.

They never lasted long for me. Either started to sound dead, flutter with notes on the unwound strings, or would just corrode and break. Switched to coated strings and have no intention of ever going back. I like Nanowebs.

Back