Is it me, or have Daddario's gone to shit?

I've used them periodically to swap things up a bit from my usual GHS Boomers. I haven't purchased any "recently" as I have a supply of both in storage - haven't bought strings in a year. I sometimes think "change in good", but after the initial sheen wears off (which is does for me fairly quickly with D'Adds) I always go back to my tried and true Boomers. And yes, I know GHS Boomers are one of the least loved strings out there - but for me? They're the bomb.

Elixir nanoweb

/Thread

I like their Optiwebs even better. I think they're even more tonally transparent than the nanowebs or the polywebs. I think they feel closer to uncoated strings too, and if there's a sound difference, it's nothing a tweak to my pedal or amp EQ won't fix.

BC27378A-FF38-46F9-B120-F41BAFF6B023.jpeg

I've been using 10 packs and 3 packs 10-46's since forever and never had a single issue. Great strings.

Whilst I have nothing but the utmost respect for Brian May as a musician, I cannot for the life of me fathom how "pure gold" or any karat for that matter - by design - in coating - could possibly offer ANY semblance of enhanced tone let alone "the tone" given that gold is utterly magnetically inert - it's fkn pointless as an adjunct to effecting/affecting the flux field that of the very elemental fundamental design of a pickup. If anything it would decrease the strings core to react with the pickups magnet via it being insulating - how TF is that even a plus??

/end rant
I’ve been using GHS boomers for years. Liked the Dimebag ones. I buy the equivalent strings
They are great for me
M'man!!!!! GHS Boomers4Life yo!!!!! 😆

Whilst I have nothing but the utmost respect for Brian May as a musician, I cannot for the life of me fathom how "pure gold" or any karat for that matter - by design - in coating - could possibly offer ANY semblance of enhanced tone let alone "the tone" given that gold is utterly magnetically inert - it's fkn pointless as an adjunct to effecting/affecting the flux field that of the very elemental fundamental design of a pickup. If anything it would decrease the strings core to react with the pickups magnet via it being insulating - how TF is that even a plus??

/end rant

Lmao I have never used them I just thought Gold strings are funny

/end rant

The gold plating is for corrosion resistance, not tone. The steel used in the core of the string is of a higher purity and sourced from Austria or Sweden. So instead of dismissing it outright, splurge a little and try 1 pack, then decide if they’re worth it. I’ve never tried them but have tried something similar (see page 1 of this thread).

I’ve been using GHS boomers for years. Liked the Dimebag ones. I buy the equivalent strings
They are great for me
Love Boomers. They’ve always been great for me. They’re my default string for Strats and Super Strats. I may start using them on my LPs soon. Plus, buying GHS helps support the local MI economy. Part of the reason I’ve bought ThroBak strings for my LPs.

I quit using daddaios about 15 years ago. I changed strings every two weeks on every guitar at that time burn they started corroding even if I didn’t play then they were corroding quickly. I sent an inquiry to daddario about it asking why that might happen they never responded so I switched to eb slinky’s never had a problem again

Love Boomers. They’ve always been great for me. They’re my default string for Strats and Super Strats. I may start using them on my LPs soon. Plus, buying GHS helps support the local MI economy. Part of the reason I’ve bought ThroBak strings for my LPs.
I used GHS for years until I tried Daddario EXL. To me they just feel much better, definitely don't last as long.

I've tried many brands over the years, and have played Ernie Ball Slinky 10's and 11's mostly.

Over the scandal I did deep dives into tone, and especially EVH. Pure nickel was one of the secrets.

Having tried the DR pure blues and being "meh" about them, I went to the OG Fender 150's.

MAN! Went from 11's to 10's on my c# tuned 25.5" scale guitar, keeping similar tension, but freeing up bass mud from the 11's to make everything tighter and more organic.

/end rant

Boomers for me...since the late 80s. Cheap, and effective. I’ve tried coated strings and sometimes put a set on...but always find my way back to Boomers.

I've used them periodically to swap things up a bit from my usual GHS Boomers. I haven't purchased any "recently" as I have a supply of both in storage - haven't bought strings in a year. I sometimes think "change in good", but after the initial sheen wears off (which is does for me fairly quickly with D'Adds) I always go back to my tried and true Boomers. And yes, I know GHS Boomers are one of the least loved strings out there - but for me? They're the bomb.
My band got an endorsement with GHS through our record label earlier this year. I never tried the GHS stuff, but at $2 a pack, I ordered 5 packs and figured I'd test them out.

I love the D'addario strings and they have been all I've used for about 10 years, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Boomers and will probably place a large order before we record or hop out on the road for a bit this year. They seemed similar in feel, with an ever so slightly mellower tonality.

I like the D'addarios because they always seem bright and snappy and last a good while for myself.

Back