Is it me, or have Daddario's gone to shit?

The gold plating is for corrosion resistance, not tone. The steel used in the core of the string is of a higher purity and sourced from Austria or Sweden. So instead of dismissing it outright, splurge a little and try 1 pack, then decide if they’re worth it. I’ve never tried them but have tried something similar (see page 1 of this thread).
Of course, I concur with the "try before opining" on the matter.

I'm just not inclined to think that any engineering in "high karat" gold plating will do anything to offer me anything different than what's already out there (ie: Elixir) and in fact, there's this weird "science" I have in my mind - the thinner the gold plating the better for transmitting the magnet disruption that of the "fine sourced German/Austrian" nickel core yada yada as the gold wouldn't act as an insulate to the magnetically responsive core + pickup interaction. However, gold being soft AF, and given it would be thin AF if properly applied to said "bespoke nickel core", means a few bends on either SS or brass frets and boom - see ya plating. So if the opposite is true and they coat the hell outta these "artisanal bespoke" nickel cores with a healthy dollop of high-karat gold, then they're doing the science a disservice by negating the magnetic alchemy that is a "string + pickup".

But sure, maybe one day I'll try them. I do have a friend in Europe who's played them - they lasted 3 weeks, and after that sounded like ass. Another individual said 4 weeks before they were dull and the coating was worn off on all the fret points. My GHS Boomers last at least a month of heavy play before I really feel I need to replace them - and why do I love them? Because they come out of the pack sounding about the same as when they're off the guitar used and beat to shit... No need for ZING for a week then dead, or dull-by-stretch, no - they come out sounding solid, they get shit kicked, they don't break on me, and when they're done, off they go - work horses - and one of the FEW BRANDS OUT THERE with "round cores" as opposed to the lesser-expensive-to-manufacture hex cores.

Go figure.

My band got an endorsement with GHS through our record label earlier this year. I never tried the GHS stuff, but at $2 a pack, I ordered 5 packs and figured I'd test them out.

I love the D'addario strings and they have been all I've used for about 10 years, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Boomers and will probably place a large order before we record or hop out on the road for a bit this year. They seemed similar in feel, with an ever so slightly mellower tonality.

I like the D'addarios because they always seem bright and snappy and last a good while for myself.
CONGRATZ!!!!!!! Just saying...I love me some Boomers 😆

I’ve tried so many, I don’t really find too much difference between most uncoated strings, except the DAddarios sometimes and I still am not sure what it is.
Every now and then Sweetwater will have Dunlop 9-42 at 3 packs for $9.99 with free shipping. So I’ll load up on about 24 packs. They’re great, as good as any others.

I do like Ernie Ball 9.5-44, I use them on my 24.75” scale guitars. Tuned down a 1/2 step, great feel with that length.

I like to use the .95-44 sets and D'Darios are the easiest ones to find. I don' even know who else makes that set besides Ernie ball

I never* have to change strings - but have always been a Fender 150, GHS Nickel Rocker guy. Last few years I have liked the DR Pure Blues. Gibson vintage pure nickel seems fine too - but I have only had them for about 5 months.

*not exaggerating - I have two guitars right now with strings probably 8-9 years old and they are still shiny and bright

I never* have to change strings - but have always been a Fender 150, GHS Nickel Rocker guy. Last few years I have liked the DR Pure Blues. Gibson vintage pure nickel seems fine too - but I have only had them for about 5 months.

*not exaggerating - I have two guitars right now with strings probably 8-9 years old and they are still shiny and bright
You must play really heavy gauge for them not to break after 8 years?!?

Not to mention that if you actually played those guitars with any regularity the strings would be divoted as fuck from the frets after 8 years....no way they'd come close to intonating

I like to use the .95-44 sets and D'Darios are the easiest ones to find. I don' even know who else makes that set besides Ernie ball
GHS Boomers, Curt Mangan (awesome strings but pricey) are the only other two I can think of. I love good old origninal Dean Markley strings but no 9.5 so it'll probably be Boomers for me if I don't want to pay Mangan prices

Back