Any Fryette GPDI technical know how?

hopkinWFG

I gotta Fryette GPDI and it didnt work for some reason it has very weak sound coming off from the speakers when volume at max... took some measurements and i found some out of the world thing which my V3 and V4 are running heaters at 80V... on pin 4,5 and 8

I tried to trace where is coming but due to the very compact size of this and the tube board is vertically mounted and its hard to really take out for some troubleshooting... i just wonder has anybody here know how to take out the GPDI board? Or has done it before?

Were you a KS backer?

Not that it's anything you don't know, but my experience with getting an amp repaired and fixed up by Fryette was pretty positive. Given that the GPDI is pretty compact, the shipping cost to get it out to them should be relatively reasonable. I'd probably get in touch with them and have them do the work... or contact them to get pointers on the PCB removal and re-install.

That's my $0.02, not that it's that helpful.

Were you a KS backer?

Not that it's anything you don't know, but my experience with getting an amp repaired and fixed up by Fryette was pretty positive. Given that the GPDI is pretty compact, the shipping cost to get it out to them should be relatively reasonable. I'd probably get in touch with them and have them do the work... or contact them to get pointers on the PCB removal and re-install.

That's my $0.02, not that it's that helpful.

yes i was one of the backpacker... i gotta nice purple many years back... didnt know that yours also having issues? i guess if your one of us that pledges too?

mine went silent only very faint backdrop volume i could hear when turned on max on the masters... all my tubes lited and all jacks checked..
i got mine sent over to Fryette anyway.. i remember putting the working unit after am done playing back to the box and been few month next after revisiting, fired it up and it has no sound...

i wonder if quality of components is an issue? i have asked Fryette to looking into changing out important crucial parts to Japanese made... the GPDI i got has mostly korean branded electronics i wonder if their parts are good enough.. but judging from you post that your unit also "Gave" i wonder if my assumptions were true...

but what exactly happened to yours?

yes i was one of the backpacker... i gotta nice purple many years back... didnt know that yours also having issues? i guess if your one of us that pledges too?

mine went silent only very faint backdrop volume i could hear when turned on max on the masters... all my tubes lited and all jacks checked..
i got mine sent over to Fryette anyway.. i remember putting the working unit after am done playing back to the box and been few month next after revisiting, fired it up and it has no sound...

i wonder if quality of components is an issue? i have asked Fryette to looking into changing out important crucial parts to Japanese made... the GPDI i got has mostly korean branded electronics i wonder if their parts are good enough.. but judging from you post that your unit also "Gave" i wonder if my assumptions were true...

but what exactly happened to yours?

Oh, my GP/DI is fine lol. Haven't had any issues with it at all and still use it very regularly. Hasn't needed a re-tube or anything yet.

A few years ago I bought a CLX from Guitar Center online in not great condition (broken EQ sliders, etc) so had it sent directly to Fryette for a full service check and repair, then Fryette sent it to me. They were relatively timely, communicated well, and got the amp tip-top before sending it back. That is the experience I was referring to. The main nut kicker on that was the shipping of the CLX back to me, but with the GP/DI, shipping charges should be pretty reasonable. That's the main point I was trying to make.

@DanTravis62 thanks have sent it out and recently they hae gotten the unit at hand...

Thing is lucky is small and shipping from my country singapore is not that expensive... i tried loosening bolts screws and nuts.. the board where the tubes sits vertically it seems like its solderd on and is not possible to do troubleshooting yourself... i got to a point and i given up... lol its made so that people like us cant tamper with... i hope it gets all clean up soon ...

@DanTravis62 thanks have sent it out and recently they hae gotten the unit at hand...

Thing is lucky is small and shipping from my country singapore is not that expensive... i tried loosening bolts screws and nuts.. the board where the tubes sits vertically it seems like its solderd on and is not possible to do troubleshooting yourself... i got to a point and i given up... lol its made so that people like us cant tamper with... i hope it gets all clean up soon ...

Yeah I'm familiar with the layout....not exactly "repair friendly" lol.

@DanTravis62

Thing is lucky is small and shipping from my country singapore is not that expensive...
I am surprised to hear that. I have a friend in Sarawak, Malaysia and shipping there from the US is absolutely insane. She also has property in Singapore so if it were cheaper, I would send it there. There are things I want to send her and vice versa but the shipping makes it unreasonable.

I am surprised to hear that. I have a friend in Sarawak, Malaysia and shipping there from the US is absolutely insane. She also has property in Singapore so if it were cheaper, I would send it there. There are things I want to send her and vice versa but the shipping makes it unreasonable.

Yup but i used to get gears like guitars normally cost like 270-300 usd... not sure if thats deem affordable or expensive... but the GPDI i got it shipped off from my local postal service office was like 160 sing dollars... its fairly ok... insured at 600usd

Back