Dogs, why can't they live forever

I owned 2 Boxers, my male lived until just past his 7th birthday, he had cancer and it got to the point where I had to put him down and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. My female passed right after her 10th birthday. Average Boxer lifespan is 8-10 years, way too short. So, as much as it sucks now, take some small comfort that you got 14-15 years, some of us aren’t even that lucky.

I feel for you guys. :cry:

Paul, I'm a Boxer guy myself; my favourite dog.

My best buddy as a kid was my Boxer Brutus. Had him since a pup for 6 years. Before leaving S. Africa (age 12) my dad gave him to a farm suddenly without giving me a chance to even say goodbye. That was tough and I still cry once in a while when I think of him.

Ive got three huskies, all rescues. They make life worth getting up for in the morning. It will be sad to lose them but I know the days coming for each of them. They teach us what it is like to love and what it is like to have to say goodbye forever.

So sorry to hear about this, man.

As Paul said, at least you got 14 years out of her, but that's a double-edged sword 'cause the longer they're around the harder times like these are to handle.

My heart and prayers go out to you and all who loved her, brother.

So sorry. Our 11 yo Rhodesian Ridgeback is showing signs of lameness. Hes having a harder and harder time doing his business. Won't be much longer.
Sorry to hear this Donnie. Hopefully he doesn't suffer too-much and you can get the timing right so it's best-for-all.

Donnie, hopefully it's something that will pass. I remember a few years back our girl was super ill. It ended up being the food she was eating. Even though she never would stop the eating rabbit poop , She never got sick from eating poop.

If the rabbits ate only grass, carrot tops and whatnot (raw vegetable matter), their poop would've actually helped her guts. I kid you not.

We use to live on a golf course for his first 9 years and he probably happily ran a couple thousand miles on it so its mostly natural wear on his joints.

Had to put down our cat of 15 1/2 years back in June. It was clear to my family that she liked me most so they were upset, but I was crushed by her loss. She was always a tiny cat and never got more than 7 lbs.

To make this thread more happy, we ended up getting two Havapoo (1/2 Havanese and half mini poodle) dogs. Brother and sister… the boy looks more Havanese and the girl more Poodle.
1629743092559.jpeg

Back