Gibson Quality

How are the frets? Are they still grinding about half off with the plek as a cost cutting measure or are they doing it right?
Proper crowns?

That could be the only issue I have with mine but not because of the Plek. I had jumbo SS frets installed on my 2010 Traditional a year or so ago and I am finding that I greatly prefer those over the medium jumbo nickels on the 2020 Standard. Otherwise, the frets are fine. Just not as big and slippery as the SS jumbo's.

I just bought a 2020 Gibson les Paul Classic. The guitar is great and I am impressed with Gibson's quality. I know Gibson gets a bad rap at times but I am very happy with my guitar. It wasn't set up the best but they are so easy to set up if you have a least a little skill,plus there are a bunch of you tube vids out there that make it easy. So far its becomng my number 1 guitar to grab and play anytime,usually unplugged. I found the string transfer to the body great with plenty of sustain.Its so good i want to buy another one ...

I just bought a 2020 Gibson les Paul Classic. The guitar is great and I am impressed with Gibson's quality. I know Gibson gets a bad rap at times but I am very happy with my guitar. It wasn't set up the best but they are so easy to set up if you have a least a little skill,plus there are a bunch of you tube vids out there that make it easy. So far its becomng my number 1 guitar to grab and play anytime,usually unplugged. I found the string transfer to the body great with plenty of sustain.Its so good i want to buy another one ...
Awesome, if you are thinking about another, do it soon.

Spammer deleted. Post and subsequent quotes retained sans-links for comedic value. :LOL:

Posts that went OTT with "adult" responses removed 'cause this isn't OTC.

Spammer deleted. Post and subsequent quotes retained sans-links for comedic value. :LOL:
Geo Jr approves this message

j jr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see a complimentary thread on Gibson, I also think fender is doing a nice job on some of their recent guitars I have played.

Reactions: Geo
I have 4 "new" Gibsons -- a Flying V, an Explorer, a Les Paul Special and a Les Paul Custom. All of them have zero issues, other than the fact that the person playing them isn't very good.

Congrats on the guitar OP!

Still, I don't know if I'd say that Gibson's QC has improved so much as I'd be inclined to think you got lucky and found one of the rare great guitars that rolls out of the Gibson factory in between the dozen or so rough ones.

I have the opportunity to closely inspect a 2021 50's Gold Top Les Paul Standard and I just wanted to comment on how nice this guitar was made and setup.

Gibson has taken a lot of flack for quality control issues and design blunders so I just wanted to give a big thumbs up.

Very impressive and with a lower price tag, I hope they can keep it up.
I got a new SG yesterday that is also a good one. The Grover tuners feel a little wonky, but that's Grover. Gotoh Magnum lockers are going on anyway.

I have 4 "new" Gibsons -- a Flying V, an Explorer, a Les Paul Special and a Les Paul Custom. All of them have zero issues, other than the fact that the person playing them isn't very good.
Lol, I'm sure you do fine.😀

Like most people, I was appalled at how Gibson's quality had nose dived. Since 2019, I've had great luck with every one I've played, bought, etc. I've played an LP Studio, Classic, and own a Standard, and all play like butter, quiet electronics, solid feel, etc. I played an SG Standard a few months ago and that was great as well.

I just bought a 2020 LP Classic and I love it. I was wanting a single cut and was leaning towards a Japanese version like Bachhus, Tokai etc, then I started looking at Eclipses. Then one day I spent the entire day trying out guitars locally and I really liked the LTD eclipse but overall the gibsons won me over. Everyone except the tribute were fantastic.

I settled on a black classic and while I would like a lovely flame maple top, I'm extremely pleased. I would like to have it plekd with Stainless frets and would like locking tuners installed.

I just bought a 2020 LP Classic and I love it. I was wanting a single cut and was leaning towards a Japanese version like Bachhus, Tokai etc, then I started looking at Eclipses. Then one day I spent the entire day trying out guitars locally and I really liked the LTD eclipse but overall the gibsons won me over. Everyone except the tribute were fantastic.

I settled on a black classic and while I would like a lovely flame maple top, I'm extremely pleased. I would like to have it plekd with Stainless frets and would like locking tuners installed.
Def want to add an Eclipse to my stable some day.

I've heard/read (on this forum even) that their QC has really stepped forward since the bankruptcy and Henry stepped down. So... 2019 models and newer are supposedly quite a bit better.
The several 2019 59's I have had have been excellent. My 2019 R9 is the best one I have ever had.

I mean, they really did punch themselves squarely in the nuts with that weird direction they took.

Must have been embarrassing to be a big Gibson guy a few years back with the absolute ravaging
they were getting in reviews and even worse in YT videos.

Very cool they took it all in and really listened.

I mean, they really did punch themselves squarely in the nuts with that weird direction they took.

Must have been embarrassing to be a big Gibson guy a few years back with the absolute ravaging
they were getting in reviews and even worse in YT videos.

Very cool they took it all in and really listened.
They had some really, really shitty ideas they came out with. I'm a big Gibson dude, and I lost faith there for awhile. They are definitely back to basics again and focused and obvious to me based on what I've seen.

Def want to add an Eclipse to my stable some day.
I liked the eclipse but it felt like a superstrat to me. It's hard to explain but if I closed my eyes and just played it, it played similar to my other guitars. I wanted something that felt and sounded different and the LP was different enough to make me want it. I sold my other guitars so now I'm down to a LP Classic and a Mayones Regius. I'm adding a Aviator Spitfire in the next couple months and a mayones Duvell next year. But honestly between the mayones and the LP I'm pretty content with my guitars.

Reactions: Geo
I liked the eclipse but it felt like a superstrat to me. It's hard to explain but if I closed my eyes and just played it, it played similar to my other guitars. I wanted something that felt and sounded different and the LP was different enough to make me want it. I sold my other guitars so now I'm down to a LP Classic and a Mayones Regius. I'm adding a Aviator Spitfire in the next couple months and a mayones Duvell next year. But honestly between the mayones and the LP I'm pretty content with my guitars.
That makes perfect sense, I have not tried one yet but I beleive you. I was thinking that owning a paul that played like that would be a cool thing.

Back