JP2C

Yeah the temptation of getting a jp2c to replace my Mark iv are gone and now I want a 2c+ after this conversation. ;)
Hey, this has been me for the past 12 or so years hehehe. I've been GASing a IIC+ DRG for ages and I've had the chance to buy one for like 3 or 4 times, but something always happen and can't at the end. With the current prices it'll get even harder for me to keep pursuing buying one since they will only get more expensive.

Hey, this has been me for the past 12 or so years hehehe. I've been GASing a IIC+ DRG for ages and I've had the chance to buy one for like 3 or 4 times, but something always happen and can't at the end. With the current prices it'll get even harder for me to keep pursuing buying one since they will only get more expensive.

A combination of Mesa amp scarcity, the Gibson buyout and the inevitable reality of Mike B retiring have driven up the prices to insanity. If I put my DRG up there would be people offering me $5k - $6k easily. Put some cash aside and be ready to jump on one when they pop up. Once Mike B does actually retire, people are going to get stupid with the prices.

A combination of Mesa amp scarcity, the Gibson buyout and the inevitable reality of Mike B retiring have driven up the prices to insanity. If I put my DRG up there would be people offering me $5k - $6k easily. Put some cash aside and be ready to jump on one when they pop up. Once Mike B does actually retire, people are going to get stupid with the prices.
I was offered one some months ago, money in hand, but for some reason the owner backed out two times. Great guy, posts here. Talked a lot with him through e-mails.

If you'd like to sell your DRG, I'm ready! :devilish:

How long would you guys sit on a red III that has the R2 volume mod and new 2020 filter caps?

Attachments

• New Lamp.jpg
    New Lamp.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 44
I've owned both and currently have a Mark IV. I prefer the Mark IV lead tone overall to the JP2C. I didn't own them both at the same time, but when I played the JP2C next to my JJ 100, the JJ just blew it away. Bigger, thicker, fuller, just better sounding. Maybe the JP2C needs an oversized cabinet, I'm not sure. Playing the Mark IV next to the JJ they both sound great, but obviously different which is what I'm going for.

I will say that I have a Mark V 35 too and use both the Mark IV mode and 2C modes and like them both, albeit for different applications. I just didn't like the JP2C head on its own.

I’ve owned the III (black stripe) IV A and B and now JP2C. The thing I noticed the most is at higher volumes the III and IV has a softer, bouncier, slower bottom end where as the JP was harder, recovered super quick and punchier. Other than that it’s splitting hairs. They all come from the same linage and can cop one another with the right settings.

I’ve owned the III (black stripe) IV A and B and now JP2C. The thing I noticed the most is at higher volumes the III and IV has a softer, bouncier, slower bottom end where as the JP was harder, recovered super quick and punchier. Other than that it’s splitting hairs. They all come from the same linage and can cop one another with the right settings.
That’s what I hear in clips….big hard and fast low end.

That’s what I hear in clips….big hard and fast low end.
It certainly can get super tight and immediate. But you can also get it to sag and squish. That's why I dig about the JP2C. You can take it anywhere you want it. It took me a while to get the JP figured out and how all the controls interact. I wasn't a fan at first. But now it's one of my favorites. I have no personal reference how it relates to a vintage 2c. I've unfortunately never been able to ply one. But on its own its a great amp.

Yeah the temptation of getting a jp2c to replace my Mark iv are gone and now I want a 2c+ after this conversation. ;)

Here is a serious question though. Why can't Mesa reissue the 2c+ and get it right? I don't believe that certain capacitors or transformers had some super special secret sauce that would prevent them from ever being reproduced ever again.

Especially since Gibson is backing them now it would be nice to see a new Mark series or a proper reissue.
Ya fr . I feel the same

If you do sell hmu . I’d buy fr

They are unable to reproduce the 105 as some materials are no longer available. Also would be tough to find consistent tubes on a large scale that would survive the plate voltage. New tubes aren't getting better unfortunately.

I've seen this said before and knowing what goes into a transformer it sounds like complete bullshit.

I've seen this said before and knowing what goes into a transformer it sounds like complete bullshit.

I'd imagine that some of the plating solvents and/or glues-lacquers that were originally used
could be what's being referred to by materials. Some of the older types have been 'retired'
for safety and health reasons.

Just like they can no longer use the old nitro finishes on guitars.

How much any of this contributes to tone is wide open for debate.

@Mikeyboyeee copied you cause you're in the loop.

I'd imagine that some of the plating solvents and/or glues-lacquers that were originally used
could be what's being referred to by materials. Some of the older types have been 'retired'
for safety and health reasons.

Just like they can no longer use the old nitro finishes on guitars.

How much any of this contributes to tone is wide open for debate.

@Mikeyboyeee copied you cause you're in the loop.

Those are possibilities, but the odds of it impacting the sound of the amp is questionable, especially in a power transformer. At the end of the day you're talking about wire wrapped around a core to generate appropriate power voltages.

Those are possibilities, but the odds of it impacting the sound of the amp is questionable, especially in a power transformer. At the end of the day you're talking about wire wrapped around a core to generate appropriate power voltages.

Agreed, but it most definitely happens sometimes as a stray side effect.

Yeah the transformers containing the magic fairy dust gets used often.. Soldano, Mesa, Wizard, etc. I think that comes down to being a part you can't buy off the shelf with a standard part number like a cap or resistor.

If you have the design/specs you should be able to recreate it. As far as things like capacitors it seems weird that you can't find a comparable capacitor that can compare to a 30 year old amps used to death capacitor.

I'm willing to say that the reason they don't recreate/reissue it is they would have to strip away a lot of bells and whistles. Maybe it doesn't make sense from a monetary view point. Instead they will just make 5 channel amp with 15 push pull pots

Yeah the transformers containing the magic fairy dust gets used often.. Soldano, Mesa, Wizard, etc. I think that comes down to being a part you can't buy off the shelf with a standard part number like a cap or resistor.

If you have the design/specs you should be able to recreate it. As far as things like capacitors it seems weird that you can't find a comparable capacitor that can compare to a 30 year old amps used to death capacitor.

I'm willing to say that the reason they don't recreate/reissue it is they would have to strip away a lot of bells and whistles. Maybe it doesn't make sense from a monetary view point. Instead they will just make 5 channel amp with 15 push pull pots
I feel like that is one of the worst things about modern amps. Quantity over quality. I personally do not want an ir in my amp. If i have a lineout, i could load my own ir. And 15 channels that sound like shit vs one that sounds great always loses in my book.

I have to admit, if Mesa just did another JP2C design but instead of using JP's fav HRG C++, and used a simul class reverse engineered C+, that would be a great amp too. But I would prefer it to be stripped down, keep it just basically channel 2 and 3 of JP2C with dual graph eq's. No direct IR BS, no FS loop just straight forward and simple.

The DRG variety did use 6L6GCs + EL34s... where D = DualClass aka Simul-Class

The HRG and KRG used all 4 6L6GCs or 6 6L6GCs. H = 100W or K = Coliseum 150W

The HRG & KRG varieties give a tighter bass faster attack, and simply a more crushing sound for metal. The DRG has a looser, more spongy, squishy feel. Richer clean sound. The country, blues, and jazz guys love these. They can do metal... but the HRG & KRG do it better.

There are also more sub-varieties within these broad divisions, such as different PTs, mods, tweaks etc.
Well, Metallica used DG’s and DRG’s, so I think they can do metal pretty well 😏

Back