Metallica ...Creeping Death... Now that's more like it.

I think Metallica sounds great today in contrast to what most of you guys are saying. I think you guys are mistaking your personal preferences for good versus bad. Same for those who think Metallica went down hill after Cliff died, or since the Black Album, or whatever.
Well that’s all this place is. A bunch of opinions. I’d bet I’m in the top 3 Metallica fanboys here but it sounds terrible to me sonically. I can separate the 2 thoughts. Hetfield is God.

I'm a Metallica fan, not quite a fanboy, and have a lot of respect for that band for what they've accomplished. IMHO they never sold out (except for all the sold out shows... haha!) but instead had the balls to change, and in the process changed the rock landscape for what I consider to be the better. Despite his technically lacking drumming I respect Lars quite a bit for his role in the band. The James/Lars combo is the foundation for the greatness Metallica has achieved.

I guess if I were in Metallica's crew I'd be considered one of the yes men 'cause I find their tone to be on point.

I love Metallica but I've always thought live they sound terrible. The guitars seem to be missing some beef if I could put it that way.

Doesn't come close to this:

Peak performance right there. Back when Lars brought ENERGY to the band. Nobody could be critical if he only recently declined, given his age, but he has been stinking it up live since the early 00's. That's half of their career. What a shame.

It depends which diezel tone - the later St anger diezel didn't sound good, James' blueface vh4 Triaxis boogie rig around the load era sounded amazing live.
Good point indeed. I was referring to the later St Anger and probably up to Hardwired! tone. I found that lacking the raw aggression that they need.

By the way, to put things in perspective; same goes for Slayer.
Divine Intervention is probably my 2nd favorite Slayer album, but good lord, they f'ed up the production on that album. Talk about middy!

Or Iron Maiden, when Martin Birch was phased out and Mr. Harris (who's quite deaf in certain areas) decided it would be a good idea to concern himself with mixing. Up until Fear of the Dark, production-wise it was fine/great. Then X-Factor and Virtual Eleven came.... Ouch. Or maybe that Nigel Green fella just had cans as ears, who knows.

Good point indeed. I was referring to the later St Anger and probably up to Hardwired! tone. I found that lacking the raw aggression that they need.

By the way, to put things in perspective; same goes for Slayer.
Divine Intervention is probably my 2nd favorite Slayer album, but good lord, they f'ed up the production on that album. Talk about middy!

Or Iron Maiden, when Martin Birch was phased out and Mr. Harris (who's quite deaf in certain areas) decided it would be a good idea to concern himself with mixing. Up until Fear of the Dark, production-wise it was fine/great. Then X-Factor and Virtual Eleven came.... Ouch. Or maybe that Nigel Green fella just had cans as ears, who knows.

Absolutely. That hardwired tone especially is super anemic and anodyne.

And holy crap, yeah, the sound quality of the later period Maiden records is a great example.

I even loved the GK solid state tone on Somewhere in Time - it was different, it was unique, and it was a solid production job.

Steve has to be completely deaf to think any of that recent stuff sounds good.

I think Metallica sounds great today in contrast to what most of you guys are saying. I think you guys are mistaking your personal preferences for good versus bad. Same for those who think Metallica went down hill after Cliff died, or since the Black Album, or whatever.

Doesn't come close to this:

I mean, this is all you really need to see that it's not just nostalgia or unfair criticism due to not liking the band or whatever. The tones they used to get were absolutely massive, compared to the weak tones they're using now.

Back