Just Got my Musikraft Charvel Neck

What I mean is there are situations where a person is changing the bridge from one type to another, or they got a undrilled body with flat pocket and decide to build with a Floyd, and probably others (like wanting more range for pulling trem up).

Or put more simply, why even have angled pockets in the first place if shims are never needed?

scottosan":mg82m6wv said:
GreatRedDragon":mg82m6wv said:
SpiderWars":mg82m6wv said:
Looks great!

I was looking at KnE site and saw this about bridges and neck angle:
All bodies can be cut for a floating tremolo (pull up and dive) upon request. However we recommend against this. If you want more versatility with your new guitar it is best to have it cut for a NON-Floating tremolo. If you want it to float you can shim the neck at the heel end. this way you can always change it back to non-floating.
Do you know if shimming is required for floating trems with pretty much all the aftermarket parts mfrs?

And do you have a preference for shims?

I have a Kne SD body and ordered it with a flat pocket. With my Floyd decked (don't care for floating) the action was sky high, so I shimmed it with a .5 degree StewMac shim. That mostly fixed it, but I'm thinking of adding another shim to get the action even lower.

Were I to build another guitar I'd just get it with the angled pocket and block the trem in the cavity.
a flat pocket angle should only be used if you have a recessed Floyd. With the angled pocket, a top mount Floyd will be pretty close to flush with the body without the need for shins or a block. Most builders have the angles pretty locked in.

I know that now, but when I ordered I didn't and the website said contrary.

Does anyone have a pic of a grade 5A neck? Its a significant expense to step up and not sure if I want to go in on that.

I ordered a similar neck from them. Its status is "in wood selection dept" since April 18th. I'm ready to get this build done. Still trying to decide it I want to use boiled linseed oil, TruOil or what exactly to do.

I'd love to have a neckthrough guitar built using roasted maple! would be so cool! Haven't been able to find a place that can roast a piece long enough though d'oh!

Great guitar, I can't wait to see the finished product MJT make cool bodies and their relic jobs looks really great!

Perfect colour too!

yes

This thread was a love fest so someone has to bring in a different opinion, other wise its a circle jerk
Yeah, can’t have too much positivity and good will, that would be awful. This thread is so much better now that we finally know that not EVERYONE likes that guitar neck.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth I prefer non roasted. In this case, I was trying to recreate a specific guitar
I don't love the look of it and I'm going on small sample size here but I do love the feel of it. And I can't even describe it but it just feels really great. Overall I think I prefer non-roasted but roasted has some good qualities.

I see musikraft are recruiting new luthiers? If so ... am i right to say during this unfortunate time (covid19) has taken their old lutheirs a backseat? As they recurit new staffs... as so will their quality be compromise?

Back