Just Got my Musikraft Charvel Neck

So what is the deal with aged oil? I've used straight TruOil and also Walnut-colored Danish Oil followed by TruOil. Even the Walnut Danish Oil doesn't add a ton of color. I recently did a quickie on this cheap Chinese bass, it was really pale before.

20200815-085602.jpg

scottosan":6ct0jv0h said:
Tru oil can build up quick in used to use it then moved to Watco.
Yep, I did that on my first one. It feels more like thin lacquer than oiled. But if you wipe all of it off after every application and use Turpentine to thin/clean makes a big difference. I did a faceplate for my IIC+ cabinet and just kept wet sanding with TruOil thinned with Turpentine and it literally feels like glass it's so smooth (not what most people go for on a guitar neck). Some people like it really raw feeling and some like it super smooth, I like it somewhere in between (similar to Chubtone although I don't think he uses TruOil, you can't even buy it in CA I don't think).

This is a beautiful neck. I have ordered 4 necks through Musikraft for projects requiring 2-1/4” Charvel Heel widths (which Warmoth cannot accommodate) and each one has been nothing short of excellent. FWIW Warmoth’s ‘standard thin’ contour is very close Musikraft’s 79/85 Pro Mod - and it does feel really nice all the way up the neck. I am partial to the 81/81 Pro Mod - Thin without feeling Ibanez Wizard thin.

Looks great!

I was looking at KnE site and saw this about bridges and neck angle:
All bodies can be cut for a floating tremolo (pull up and dive) upon request. However we recommend against this. If you want more versatility with your new guitar it is best to have it cut for a NON-Floating tremolo. If you want it to float you can shim the neck at the heel end. this way you can always change it back to non-floating.
Do you know if shimming is required for floating trems with pretty much all the aftermarket parts mfrs?

And do you have a preference for shims?

SpiderWars":14boxvh5 said:
Looks great!

All bodies can be cut for a floating tremolo (pull up and dive) upon request. However we recommend against this. If you want more versatility with your new guitar it is best to have it cut for a NON-Floating tremolo. If you want it to float you can shim the neck at the heel end. this way you can always change it back to non-floating.
Do you know if shimming is required for floating trems with pretty much all the aftermarket parts mfrs?

I'd rather NOT use shims, better for the neck pocket angle to be cut for a floating tremolo (IMHO), you can always block it if you don't want it to float.

SpiderWars":15vuuhod said:
Looks great!

He does offer recess with no pocket angle. I prefer the top mount with pocket angle and no shim

Gotcha. I need to play a few recessed Floyds before I build another just to be sure. It's been forever and a day since I played one.

Looks great.

A brass string tree would be a nice finishing touch if you are going all in for a pre-pro vibe. Floyd's were aftermarket.

JackTripper":1v1pvmo7 said:
Looks great.

A brass string tree would be a nice finishing touch if you are going all in for a pre-pro vibe. Floyd's were aftermarket.
This is really a hybrid build. Cosmetically like the nitro series with floyd, neck radius straight 12” like the older ones.

SpiderWars":z0dndjha said:
Looks great!

I have a Kne SD body and ordered it with a flat pocket. With my Floyd decked (don't care for floating) the action was sky high, so I shimmed it with a .5 degree StewMac shim. That mostly fixed it, but I'm thinking of adding another shim to get the action even lower.

Were I to build another guitar I'd just get it with the angled pocket and block the trem in the cavity.

GreatRedDragon":2obvdtlw said:
SpiderWars":2obvdtlw said:
Looks great!

I have a Kne SD body and ordered it with a flat pocket. With my Floyd decked (don't care for floating) the action was sky high, so I shimmed it with a .5 degree StewMac shim. That mostly fixed it, but I'm thinking of adding another shim to get the action even lower.

Were I to build another guitar I'd just get it with the angled pocket and block the trem in the cavity.
a flat pocket angle should only be used if you have a recessed Floyd. With the angled pocket, a top mount Floyd will be pretty close to flush with the body without the need for shins or a block. Most builders have the angles pretty locked in.

Those Stew Mac shims are SO worth the cost. In ‘theory’ the 1* shim is ideal for a non recessed Floyd on a body with a flat neck pocket. But get the set with a .25, a .5 and a 1* shim and you have multiple options - including stacking the .25 and the .5 where the full 1* fells like a bit too much. They are machined so accurately and the full-area thickness makes for solid neck to pocket contact.

PDC":3hqnc88f said:
Those Stew Mac shims are SO worth the cost. In ‘theory’ the 1* shim is ideal for a non recessed Floyd on a body with a flat neck pocket. But get the set with a .25, a .5 and a 1* shim and you have multiple options - including stacking the .25 and the .5 where the full 1* fells like a bit too much. They are machined so accurately and the full-area thickness makes for solid neck to pocket contact.
I still question why someone would order a non-recessed Floyd route and not have the pocket angled? What would be the benefit?

scottosan":3he3459n said:
PDC":3he3459n said:
I still question why someone would order a non-recessed Floyd route and not have the pocket angled? What would be the benefit?
Lots of situations where it is not a new build.

SpiderWars":204h8lux said:
scottosan":204h8lux said:
PDC":204h8lux said:
Lots of situations where it is not a new build.
I still don’t get it. In either bridge route you can always raise the bridge, but are limited on a non recess by the bridge being flush. With a flat pocket, a non recessed Floyd will have higher action than if the pocket was angled. Once it bottoms out you have to shim to lower action. I’ve never had to shim a guitar with a Floyd. On the other hand vintage type trems usually don’t need an angled pocket

Back