Question about selling on the Gear Page

espquade

Hi All, Been getting tired of all the B.S. on Reverb with all the new fees / taxes on used gear ETC... and have sold gear here with success although it sometimes takes some time and was considering trying the Gear Page as an additional option but don't ever go there and wasn't even sure if that was a place I would want to try to sell?. Any info, experiences, words of wisdom, and or requirements that I need to know about would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven’t sold on there in a few years, but think it’s a good resource. Have your references available, and good pictures.

I’ve bought and sold piles of gear there over the years (probably $30k-$40k worth), most of it about 12-15 years ago. Only had a couple bad transactions with what turned out to be scammers, but that was years ago. They have a feedback system now, and my few recent transactions have gone very smooth.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that they require you to be a financial contributor in order to place ads in the Emporium. I think it’s like $20 a year, so it’s well worth it for the exposure. I’ve always managed to move my stuff within a week or 2, max.

TGP is alright. They'll ban you for some really silly and mundane things if you get too chatty on the forum, so it's best to utilize it's classifieds and stay out of the mess. They don't care if you paid to be there and often won't tell you what rule you supposedly broke to get the suspension. But you have to pay the 15 bucks or whatever a year to be able to post there. It moves quicker than any other board classifieds though.

I have less than 500 posts on TGP since 2006, but I do pay my $15/year to sell gear there. Definitely sell more there than anywhere else. I've never sold on reverb and haven't sold on ebay since long before reverb came about.

Lately, I've also been listing on the facebook guitar groups and have sold some stuff there, but TGP still remains the best place for moving gear without all the hassle and BS.

TGP is alright. They'll ban you for some really silly and mundane things if you get too chatty on the forum, so it's best to utilize it's classifieds and stay out of the mess. They don't care if you paid to be there and often won't tell you what rule you supposedly broke to get the suspension. But you have to pay the 15 bucks or whatever a year to be able to post there. It moves quicker than any other board classifieds though.
Good info. Thanks! I was always put off by the cork sniffery that seems to go on there so never really paid much attention to that forum but with the stuff going on with Reverb as of now I can't even think I will want to list high dollar items with Reverb much anymore.. sucks as it used to be a pretty good place to buy and sell.

Bottom line Is that stuff sells there relatively quickly....it’s also a pretty kick ass place to buy stuff. Pay the $15 annual fee and go for it.

Bottom line Is that stuff sells there relatively quickly....it’s also a pretty kick ass place to buy stuff. Pay the $15 annual fee and go for it.

This.

Just be prepared to deal with the barrage of "what does it weigh", "what is the neck thickness" and "how does it sound" questions. I've sold a bunch of amps, guitars pedals there with no grief and made a number of friends when they purchased locally. But the guys that ask those questions have NEVER bought a guitar from me. :confused:

Goldilocks buyers.

This.

Just be prepared to deal with the barrage of "what does it weigh", "what is the neck thickness" and "how does it sound" questions. I've sold a bunch of amps, guitars pedals there with no grief and made a number of friends when they purchased locally. But the guys that ask those questions have NEVER bought a guitar from me. :confused:

Goldilocks buyers.
Exactly. I’ve had more ‘no questions asked, I just want it‘ sales and have sold lots of gear there over the years, met some cool people locally as well. The mega questions up front crowd doesn’t seem to ever follow through with actually buying anything, but it’s like that here too.

tgp is okay i guess if you like the weird over-protective nanny state type moderation.
They play favorites over there.
I left that site many moons ago.

Exactly. I’ve had more ‘no questions asked, I just want it‘ sales and have sold lots of gear there over the years, met some cool people locally as well. The mega questions up front crowd doesn’t seem to ever follow through with actually buying anything, but it’s like that here too.
100% my experience too. If a buyer starts hammering away with questions, many times I won't respond unless I'm bored. Those people 9 times out of 10 are going to be wasting my time. Lie if it's something simple and reasonable, no problem, but if you are wanting to bust out calipers and measure the neck thickness of a guitar, or tell you the exact ounces, or the millimeters of a cab, then you can fuck right off. A bunch of questions for an in-person meetup definitely indicates they are going to bust my balls over price for some goofball shit too.

Youll be fine. Always sell and buy there without issues.
Just post enough pics and description to entice the buyer.
I hate the lazyness when sellers put up a link to there Reverb ad.
You'll be fine.

This.

Goldilocks buyers.
Yeah. Invest in some calipers, and a scale! 🤣

They're some nit-picky MF'rs over there, but I've bought and sold many items. Higher end items sell better over there, bunch of cheap-asses over here. 😄

100% my experience too. If a buyer starts hammering away with questions, many times I won't respond unless I'm bored. Those people 9 times out of 10 are going to be wasting my time. Lie if it's something simple and reasonable, no problem, but if you are wanting to bust out calipers and measure the neck thickness of a guitar, or tell you the exact ounces, or the millimeters of a cab, then you can fuck right off. A bunch of questions for an in-person meetup definitely indicates they are going to bust my balls over price for some goofball shit too.
And that, they do! I hate the ones that ask you the neck profile on a 60's Les Paul Classic. You get newbs that have no clue what they're buying.

CL is completely dead in my area
Totally everywhere. Shit guitars & trinkets for 500+ miles.
I do 500+ mile searches on FB Marketplace same thing/Zilch.
Been that way all this year. Its like i moved to a 3rd world country.
And big box stores like GC/Music Go Round/Chicago Music Exchange are raping people selling gear cuz they can.

This.

Back