Peavey 6534/808: black dahlia murder.

That is some fucking vicious, snarling, frothing fucking tone right there. Nicely done, man.
I’d like to hear that mixed with some hot, lower mid voiced Recto action.

That is some fucking vicious, snarling, frothing fucking tone right there. Nicely done, man.

That’s the next thing I’m gonna get into, I don’t really mix amps much on different tracks, but I’m gonna dive into that next. The rev F and 5150 is always a win I think, no doubt!

The high end and high mids are what gives different amp tones their texture and personality.

Mixing the high end OUT of heavy guitars is part of why modern stuff tends to all sound the same.

Agreed. There are very very few modern mixers who I enjoy, and absolutely none of them are the new kids on the block by any means. Some seriously afraid mixers out there.

Also, just to expand on my previous post, I dig the second mix of this more overrall, it’s still biting, but definitely much more balance. The actual mix of this record had a lot of interesting eq techniques. Mark and Jason used a parallel eq trick with a neve portico eq. They got a great tone everyone was happy with, then duplicated the tracks, and sent those out to the portico and absolutely eq’d the shit out of them, boosting tons of frequencies 10-15 db. They then placed those duplicates underneath the original tracks, which gives the tone that almost exploding midrange vibe on this record. Super unique, always loved it. The second mix was my attempt to get something close, which is basically impossible, but I did ALOT of pushing the mids and low mids in the size to try and capture that vibe.

Back