To Synergy or not to Synergy

I think Henning Pauly's demo was the best out of the group of demos I saw today. Im usually not the biggest fan of his demos but I really enjoyed it. I'm a bit amped out atm but a part of me started thinking about how this would sound ran through my Mark IV's power section.

Sounds like ass.

Yeah I don’t think this sounds like a iic+. Also odd that in any of the demos I’ve seen it sounds different in each one and none of them like it. A bunch of videos dropped today and no one shot it out with a real one or even an axe patch or keeper profile. I was hoping for that.

It sounded oddly flubby in the fluff demo.

Dude's video sounds awesome to me!
Yep. John Browne’s vid is great too. He compares with similar MKIV settings on an amp he’s suing for the new Monuments albums. The power section was modded to MKII spec’s or some such thing… sounds spot on even using the Synergy power amp. M

Can’t wait to pair it with the PS100. My buddy told me about this module like 6 months ago and he’d played it when he got his synergy rig from the BAD shop. He said it sounded insane then and that they were A/Bing with the loaner amp.

Curious for the amp gurus, that IICP module has a presence control. I thought presence control was taken at the power section, not the preamp?

This is correct, the presence control in a mark series controls the negative feedback level.
If i were to guess what the module is doing, it might be a high frequency roll off adjustment, same as the rectos.

Clips. I watched the Pete Thorn demo. Although it sounded good, it didn’t really impress me as being a good representation of a mkiic+.
I watched the Pete Thorn video, and I don't think he realized that the channel 1 volume affects channel 2 gain. At the end when he was running the looper, he had channel 1 volume fairly low, and it made for a wimpy sound. Sigh.

I watched the Pete Thorn video, and I don't think he realized that the channel 1 volume affects channel 2 gain. At the end when he was running the looper, he had channel 1 volume fairly low, and it made for a wimpy sound. Sigh.
Gotcha.

I've noticed that just about every demo on youtube doesn't have the EQ controls set up right, or at least how I like to dial the C+ amps in. Both gains at 7, bass and mids off or just cracked, both switches should be up, Treble at 7 maybe 8.

So what speakers are generally preferred with the Mark’s?

So what speakers are generally preferred with the Mark’s?
Check this thread out: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=61977

Pretty subjective to your tastes really, but a lot of people like EVM12L or Mesa C90. I've played the Mark V and JP2C through a Rectifier Standard 4x12 and thought it sounded great, but generally like a smoother speaker like a Greenback or variant. I like setting up my Marks fairly bright, so I think it pairs well with this approach.

Damn I don’t have Facebook so it won’t let me watch. Just to go back to the point before. I think Browne’s video sounded the best and I know he compared it to a mark iv. The mark IV and iic+ sound so different. Not just the sound signature but level of compression.

I also still think it’s quite odd that none of the videos I’ve seen so far have shot it out with a iic+, a JP2C, iic mode on a mark v, an axe fx, or a kemper. I haven’t watched all the videos so I could be wrong on that. I think most if not all of the influencers getting these units have 1 or more of those to compare it to. And fwiw I think some of those do a good iic+ impersonation (notably the JP2C). So I find that weird that the module sounds inconsistent between all those people and no one has put it head to head against anything else. Also, even though the unit does sound good in some videos, I don’t think it sounds like a iic+. Just my 2 cents.

Back