To Synergy or not to Synergy

stratjacket

That is the question….

A little background: In April I purchased a new Studio desk from Buso Audio (in Europe). They build them from scratch and the desk just arrived last week (yes 6+ months to build). Since the desk has two 8u racks, I’m looking to do more rack gear for the convenience. I already own an AxeFx-III and a KSR Artemis II that will rack nicely in there.

There are a few amps that I really want to add, Diezel Hagen at the top of the list. But the Synergy system seems perfect for what I’m trying to do. However, I know myself and if I get a VH4 module for example, I will always wonder in the back of my mind “wow, this sounds great just imagine what the real amp would sound like”. Which may be silly, but can’t help it.

So I guess I’m asking for those who have taken the plunge, do you feel like you’re lacking something from the big amp OR is it truly the real deal and you miss nothing?

The Synergy stuff is cool but I think a bit overpriced for what you get and have to spend to get started. All in all, I would go Kemper and bypass the Synergy stuff and get real amps if and as you feel the want/need to do so. It might be a nice addition to your Axe FX.

Get it!! I want synergy also!! Watch the Herbert demo on big fat hairy guitars!! Sounds great!! And he is using the 50 watt power station as power amp.

The Synergy stuff is rad! I waited a long time to get into it but I love it.

I could honestly be fully satisfied amp-wise if I only had my PS100 and Syn-2 with the Bogner Uber, Ecstasy and Deliverance modules.

I like tube amps, Kemper, and synergy. It's all inspirational.
The synergy sounds great as long as you have a proper power section- for me that means big glass for modern rock/metal.

FWIW, I love the SLO module, thought maybe I should get a slo? Then I hear clips a/bing the syn slo vs the real deal and decide there's no need. If you have any decent power sections available, chances are you will dig it.

The format and flexibility seems cool.
But I personally have no attraction to things that are 'copies' in any way of a real amp. Even if the actual amp designers have had input.. it's still not the same thing.

It's obviously close enough though for many players.

One of main aspects I have seen from users is that the power amp is def crucial and may be rig dependent. I was prepared to try multiple power amps if I started the synergy route.

I say don't. Get 2-3 amps you really like and play them. You really gonna play 8 modules that you can dial in similarly? Without the power section the magic is lacking on a lot of the modules. Do the math on what a Synergy 3 slot head will cost you and then the modules and see what you could pick up for that same amount of money.

Let the math answer your question!

I barely play my Randall rig or synergy rig. I play my JCM800 or a Bugera 1960 cranked and into a load these days.

Synergy stuff sounds good and is fun - if you already have a great power amp or two around. If you're starting from scratch it's not a very affordable option and may leave you with 'real amp envy'.

Going direct from a tube-preamp into any type of 'power amp sim' has never worked for me. Others claim it can sound good, but after a lot of testing I could not get a tone that was anywhere near as good as the real thing. Flat, lifeless, and uninspiring I'd call it.

That is the question….

A little background: In April I purchased a new Studio desk from Buso Audio (in Europe). They build them from scratch and the desk just arrived last week (yes 6+ months to build). Since the desk has two 8u racks, I’m looking to do more rack gear for the convenience. I already own an AxeFx-III and a KSR Artemis II that will rack nicely in there.

There are a few amps that I really want to add, Diezel Hagen at the top of the list. But the Synergy system seems perfect for what I’m trying to do. However, I know myself and if I get a VH4 module for example, I will always wonder in the back of my mind “wow, this sounds great just imagine what the real amp would sound like”. Which may be silly, but can’t help it.

So I guess I’m asking for those who have taken the plunge, do you feel like you’re lacking something from the big amp OR is it truly the real deal and you miss nothing?
I am the same way. I would always be wondering if i had some inferior model compared to the real deal..

Seems like a good (tube) power amplifier makes all the difference, no matter what you plug into it. The old Mesa/Boogie Strategy and Marshall EL34 power amps are king, IMO. My favorite set-up is using a Marshall Super Lead 100 to amplify AC15 via load box.

Thanks for the input everyone, for the time being I guess I’ll enjoy the research until something finally clicks.

IICP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-060941_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-060941_Instagram.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 58
Curious: is there a power amp that switches tubes? Guess that’s real close to having two power amps though…

Back