Declining Quality - Gibson Guitars

I got lucky with my SG Standard, it's pretty flawless, and the nut was even cut well. But, I wouldn't buy another new one with the shit like this I've been seeing. Problem is, production came to a halt, then when it ramped back up, they had to crank out some orders. With that, you get shitty QC, or none at all. And it's not just Gibson. I've seen some horrid guitars from a lot of companies - foreign and domestic.

I'm wanting another LP, but I think I'm going with an Edwards LPC.
Get a Jap Bacchus. Much better than Edwards.

I got a 2020 LP classic and it's damn good. I was on a "anyone but Gibson" kick while shopping for a single cut. I went to all the local shops and out of all the different guitars I tried the Gibson were by far my favorite. Even my grumpy ass tech was surprised when I brought it to him for a setup and some mods.

I hope this was just a bad run and not that they are going back to shit. One thing I will say the shit quality from all the mass produced guitars lately have made me get up off my ass and actually try them out in person.

I got a 2020 LP classic and it's damn good. I was on a "anyone but Gibson" kick while shopping for a single cut. I went to all the local shops and out of all the different guitars I tried the Gibson were by far my favorite. Even my grumpy ass tech was surprised when I brought it to him for a setup and some mods.

I hope this was just a bad run and not that they are going back to shit. One thing I will say the shit quality from all the mass produced guitars lately have made me get up off my ass and actually try them out in person.
Yes, I just returned a Sterling JP Majesty that had 2 tuners that were loose and wouldn't tighten down at all, and one claw screw was drilled and cranked in crooked. And this was the $1400 higher end with JP Dimarzios, and SS frets. Should have NEVER left the factory.

On the flip side, I had a 2020 LP Classic, (made in 2019), that was also flawless. I think Gibsons made pre-covid were on the right track. Many felt they were putting out their best stuff in years. But, right now, I think they're rushing to get caught up on dealer orders, and aren't giving a shit. Lately, I've seen, heard, and read a lot of horror stories.

This one's a good one...

i thought 2020 they started getting better supposedly?? arent they plek'ing every les paul now or something?

I've seen huge improvement in Gibson's QC since the recent takeover. Any company that big is going to have some bad examples out there, but I have a hard time believing there's not a story behind that Flying V.

There was a rather interesting '57 Standard there (the one with the yellowed inlays) that was painted green/gold. I've never seen a guitar painted this color, so I asked about it. The salesman said; "Yeah, that was supposed to be a gold top. Whoever painted it, screwed-up. This is how it arrived." No explanation on the yellowed inlays.

I think what's happening is this... Instruments that would have been reworked (or destroyed) are being offered to the public as-is. Gibson recently opened a Reverb.com store, dedicated to liquidating indigent instruments. It would appear that this particular GC location has been selected to do the same. Without a specific program in place, Gibson should limit indigent instrument sales to their Reverb.com store.

Note to Gibson:
If you're going to continue shipping indigent instruments to brick and mortar stores, such items should be designated such. These items should be presented in dedicated area, away from instruments that have passed CA. I actually have a very cool name for the program. I call it "___ _____ ________". Sorry... After being ripped-off by Conair, I've stopped giving away my ideas. :cool:

There's nothing to see here, old news to us....
this. Guitar center used to be full of this type of shit. it would still be, but now they mostly stock epis now.
it was always the word around the campfire that if you wanted a gibson that didn't look like it was just thrown together by some hungover redneck, you had to skip GC and go to a mom and pop dealer that either do some post factory set ups or straight up send back stuff like this to the factory.

My wife to my Surprise bought me a new Les Paul Modern for Christmas / Birthday present this year. The guitar is quite good except the nut is cut so high that he every note up to the six fret is sharp and of course gets worse the closer to the nut it gets. To me, for a $3k guitar this is unacceptable. Sure it's an easy fix but I shouldn't have to re-cut a nut in order for the guitar to play in tune coming out of the factory. What are we talking an extra 10 minutes? The qc card has the nut checked off as good. Really? Fretting the third from there is a clear ramp up the nut.

But other than it plays and sounds really good.

i thought 2020 they started getting better supposedly?? arent they plek'ing every les paul now or something?
I think UltraGary is right... though, I don't believe the size of the company has anything to do with it. IMO, they've simply decided to stop destroying playable instruments. I don't have a problem with them selling indigent items. Just don't insult us by mixing them in with the rest, thinking that we aren't going to notice. Some of these guitars would be a perfect platform for those who want to practice doing mods and/or repairs.

As I said, my 2018 R7 was perfectly constructed. I just don't care for the smaller frets. I don't mind low-wide frets on on maple and ebony board. I prefer medium jumbo to large jumbo frets on rosewood. The "school bus" frets were fine, once they were properly crowned.

I’ve always had great luck with Gibson‘s. My most recent is a ‘20 ‘61 SG and it slays. Plays, feels and sounds excellent with zero issues

9CFC6810-B335-4B03-836A-74A0E75E29CE.jpeg

Hmmm, scary stories…I’ve never owned a Gibson, not for any other reason than they don’t have any models I like. I like Super Strats, never got into LP, Explorer or SG models.
About 4 years ago I branched it to try PRS and liked them. But I’ve never owned a Les Paul, ever. Lately I’ve been thinking about giving one a shot. So I’ve been researching ESP Eclipse and recently looking at Gibsons. But shit, now I’m thinking leave well enough alone.

Gibson has made some of the most ungodly amazing instruments I've ever played, and they've made some of the most horrifyingly dogshit instruments I've ever played.

I bought a Les Paul Supreme from sweetwater in 2017, and the first one had electronic issues, unnibbed frets, and the truss rod was pre-maxed out for my convenience. I played the return game with sweetwater for 2 more LP supremes with just as many issues as the first one.

I also have owned a 1977 LPC that was the best guitar I've ever owned. It was stolen in 2006, and resurfaced on Craigslist a couple years ago. The new owner from Moses Lake immediately removed the listing, and blocked my number, after I contacted him asking if I could make an offer for "his" guitar that shared the buckle scratches and serial number of my old LPC.

I also have a 2007 standard silverburst that itsgoodnow sold me, that's the second best les paul ive ever played, standard or no. It kills historics ive played, and theres just no explaining it. It's just a great guitar.

Gibson guitars are conflicting. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

Back