Green chicklets inside the 1968 Stratocaster

Martymig

What's the deal with this ? Does anybody know anything about these and are they still obtainable? Also, do they really make a difference in tone ?

What's the deal with this ? Does anybody know anything about these and are they still obtainable? Also, do they really make a difference in tone?

The difference is more when rolling down the tone. Assuming the the old cap is in spec vs a new cap in spec, we’re not taking easy to skating

The difference is more when rolling down the tone. Assuming the the old cap is in spec vs a new cap in spec, we’re not taking easy to skating
I understand this but every component that makes up the guitar as a whole affects the tone.... that tone capacitor still has an effect even when on zero....
I picked up some NOS capacitors that are supposed to be the same thing as the old Nissei green chiclets...
If they're not the right ones no biggie, they were cheap.
1640881874773397943042134449919.jpg

This is all new to me. I've been playing guitar since I was 12 years old but never thought to learn anything about the electronics involved. Now I am at 54 years old...

This is all new to me. I've been playing guitar since I was 12 years old but never thought to learn anything about the electronics involved. Now I am at 54 years old...
Cap value is the first value, .001? .015? .022? .033? .047 etc.

So that's 82 microferrads +/- 10% 100 volts... I'll give it a try in my partscaster. I really think it's going to make it too muddy sounding really.
Yeah, hell with that! Common Strat value is .047, but season to taste. I like .015's for P-90's and Humbuckers for bridge stoner drone tone and neck Clapton "Woman" tone. .047 is for REALLY bright guitars, I don't care for them much. Some alligator clips are your friend!

Yeah, hell with that! Common Strat value is .047, but season to taste. I like .015's for P-90's and Humbuckers for bridge stoner drone tone and neck Clapton "Woman" tone. .047 is for REALLY bright guitars, I don't care for them much. Some alligator clips are your friend!
I just want to make sure I'm buying the right capacitor. I would imagine that polyester film compared to a polypropylene capacitor, even though the same ferrad and voltage readings, would still affect the tone differently, I'm sure it would. The signal is still passing through it....?

So you’re wanting to use it though? I only ask because the cap only has an affect if it’s not on 10.
I disagree, every component of the guitar affects the tone. Even though the tone knob might be on ten, it still has a signal passing through it. The material it's made from will affect the tone.

Never ! It's never been usable on any of my Strats..
I disagree, every component of the guitar affects the tone. Even though the tone knob might be on ten, it still has a signal passing through it. The material it's made from will affect the tone.

I've totally wondered about this. . Out of curiosity have you disconnected your tone knob and see the effect of that? I need to do that 1 of these days, as I have numerous strats and always hate the stock tone knobs/caps

Eric

I've totally wondered about this. . Out of curiosity have you disconnected your tone knob and see the effect of that? I need to do that 1 of these days, as I have numerous strats and always hate the stock tone knobs/caps

Eric
No I've never done that... I'm just messing with the different capacitors to see how it effects the tone..

No I've never done that... I'm just messing with the different capacitors to see how it effects the tone..
So you can hear different caps even without rolling back the tone? Damn, those are some good ears. Sounds like a curse to me

I've played in loud rock bands for over 40 years. There's ZERO way I could hear the change in tone from a tone cap with the tone knob on 10. I probably could hear the Tone Knob disconnected though, so I'm gonna try that shortly! :)

Eric

Back