Recording software for an idiot

Meanjoegreene

I’m running windows and need something easy for some basic rock band recording. I have no idea what programs are out there but ease of use definitely high on the priority list.

I’m running windows and need something easy for some basic rock band recording. I have no idea what programs are out there but ease of use definitely high on the priority list.
Go with Reaper first. It's like 30 bucks or something for a license but you can use it as a fully functional trial forever for free.

There are tons of videos out there for it and it was the first one I used. I'm just now really digging in and actually learning to mix instead of just basic recording a simple bass and guitar track to midi drums. Although I'm now using Studio One but almost everything I learned in Reaper applies in Studio one.

Reaper is the way to go. It's easy enough to use for a beginner, but has enough features for professional use if needbe.

It's a great place to start out.

Excellent info

I think my setup is gonna be pretty simple. Should be amp—captor x—2i2–laptop.

Hopefully I can figure out decent drum sounds without geeking out on the programming.

I use reaper. if you have a friend that uses any daw, though, i recommend using that one. I coulnd't have figured reaper out by myself. i mean, you can watch a million youtube videos, but having someone to help you with it is key

I have used Reaper for years and don't even know what a "bus" is with recording, etc. I use the basics and haven't delved into all of the things it can do. I keep it simple. At $50 you can't go wrong and condtant updates.

I do recordings just for fun and can keep it cheap and simple. I recorded this song in an hour or two just recently and then tweaked a bit but super simple. Reaper and a Bogner pedal into a cheap Radial 4x12 cab emulator, Ezdrummer, my bass into a cheap Sansamp bass pedal, etc.

https://mikepuskas.bandcamp.com/track/divide

That sounds killer. I’d be very happy if I approach something like that.

I figure if I can get some variance to whatever simple drum beats I come up with it’ll be enough for my purposes.

T
I have used Reaper for years and don't even know what a "bus" is with recording, etc. I use the basics and haven't delved into all of the things it can do. I keep it simple. At $50 you can't go wrong and condtant updates.

I do recordings just for fun and can keep it cheap and simple. I recorded this song in an hour or two just recently and then tweaked a bit but super simple. Reaper and a Bogner pedal into a cheap Radial 4x12 cab emulator, Ezdrummer, my bass into a cheap Sansamp bass pedal, etc.

That sounds great man! Sounds like a hybrid Pink Floyd / opeth jam🤘

If you have $15 a month look into getting a Groove3 membership. They have training on most applications. I got it for the Studio One but ended up watching it for Superior Drummer, ezbass, and ezkeys. There are still probably 10 more training vids I want to watch.

Karl Sanders from Nile recommended it to me and it's been a huge help.

Went back to Reaper. It is jam packed and can be overwhelming but it's great. Few others out there if you really want stripped back to basics. Just do a google search on simple free DAW software.

For real idiot kick-off, try Audacity. Seriously easy peezy GUI to get rocking on.

After that?? Reaper. And not because it's a beginners tool, hell no, just because it'll last you a lifetime - it's free to use till you know you want it - after that it's dirt cheap for a one time license - the online tutorials are amazing - the online member forum is super helpful.

100% amazing DAW - bar none.

This is going to sound weird but Reaper was easier for me than Audacity.

The thing that's great about Reaper is it has practically everything you need in the box. I remember when I first started using it and some free vst's. I had just really started playing again and was super inspired to play. It's come a long way(so have amp sims)

Just opening reaper gets me excited. I see that interface and know that I am about to be playing loud as fuck. I probably utilize like .001% of what it can do, but i know enough to enjoy the hell out of it.

Are you recording for a whole rock band? And why are you recording? It is to sell music or just share it? Or just for a personal learning tool?

Back