Recording software for an idiot

So I’ve got my setup going but have a problem…latency.

I’m going thru focusrite 2i2 into reaper and out monitors. Any reaper settings I need to change?

So I’ve got my setup going but have a problem…latency.

I’m going thru focusrite 2i2 into reaper and out monitors. Any reaper settings I need to change?

The Lower your buffer size, the lower the latency…. I never set mine above 128, usually 64 though for tracking…. If your computer can handle it… set your buffer low when tracking, then put it high (1024) when mixing, to free up processing power from your CPU.

In the app; it's like that for all DAWs mate.

Interfaces themselves tend to introduce less than 2ms of latency, some below 1ms and this is due to D/A and A/D conversion processing.

Ok thanks

The buffer size on the 2i2 goes from 16 to 1024…default set at 192

The reaper came set at 8x1024 so I guess I’ll try 8x128 in reaper and see what happens.

The buffer size on the 2i2 goes from 16 to 1024…default set at 192
This caused me some confusion. You said "... buffer size on the 2i2...", when in fact you'd be setting the parameter "for" it. Even this is misleading 'cause it's only on the computer itself that the latency is being adjusted and occurs; the interface simply receives and spits out audio whenever it receives it.

I read the 2i2 manual(!) and it's as I suspected, I think:

There's no mention of buffer-size adjustments in the manual. When you set it in your DAW, that's the only one that counts.

HTH mate.

There's always going to be a certain amount of latency ... the way around it is to use the "direct monitoring" switch on the front, so you hear the direct signal from your guitar while you're recording. (For playback, latency is a non-issue.)

Wait! Reaper has a YouTube account with instructional videos. Let me go find it. There is a way to adjust latency to have Reaper correct it.

I messed around with settings and think I fixed it. Basically changed as much as I could to ASIO and that seemed to work.

Ran a Marshall vintage modern into captor X and got some solid guitar tone. Now on to drums and stacking tracks. Not there yet but at least the latency is manageable.

At this rate I’ll have full band plus orchestration and a record deal by Sunday, ha ha

I messed around with settings and think I fixed it. Basically changed as much as I could to ASIO and that seemed to work.

Ran a Marshall vintage modern into captor X and got some solid guitar tone. Now on to drums and stacking tracks. Not there yet but at least the latency is manageable.

At this rate I’ll have full band plus orchestration and a record deal by Sunday, ha ha

Glad you got it working man. If you actually need recommendations for orchestration let me know, been there and done that $4k worth of orchestration programs lol

Back