Is the slo all it’s cracked up to be ?

Dyllheaven88

My interest in the slo is peaked again , I had a hot rod 50 and really enjoyed it , but it lacked low end and I wanted more gain out of it . I play mostly hard rock - modern metal . Not sure if the SLO covers that ground successfully either . What’s everyone’s experience pros cons ? 🤟

I think the slo is more oriented to classic hard rock and metal. So I would look else where from your description of what you are looking for.

I regret selling mine . I got some killer heavy tones out of it . It’s definitely able to heavy and low if you need

I have a 2003. It lives up to the hype when you get the volume at 5-6 on the master. That amp seriously comes alive at higher volumes. Mine has a Suhr-modded loop that plays well with pedals. It's now got a global master on back as part of the loop mod. I run that at 1/4 way up and crank the master on front. Only way to run it.

Couldn’t sell mine fast enough. For modern metal? Hard, hard pass. Blues and rock? Sure absolutely, it’s great. But I just think for modern metal it is all wrong in the saturation and low end. It’s a no for me dog.
Totally agree. It’s got thick, beautiful tone, but it’s way too saturated and soft in the attack for tight, modern metal.
I managed to get some really good, usable metal tones clean boosted, but my Triple and Naylor destroyed it for that application. It would be great for super thick, doom type tones, but even then, it’d probably be insufficient in the low end.

Last edited:
I have a 2003. It lives up to the hype when you get the volume at 5-6 on the master. That amp seriously comes alive at higher volumes. Mine has a Suhr-modded loop that plays well with pedals. It's now got a global master on back as part of the loop mod. I run that at 1/4 way up and crank the master on front. Only way to run it.
I don’t agree that it takes until 5-6 for that to happen. For me, just like the Wizard MC100 it opened up far lower like 2-3. Killer tones at that level. Tight modern metal? Well, maybe with the right boost pedal…I was so-so on the amp until I boosted it. Sounded like a killer modded Marshall, the way I ran it.

I’d take a Fortin bones over one anyday. I also prefer a modded 5150 II tone wise.

Personally I’m not really a fan of the SLO. You can get very similar tones to it with modules or with a 5150 these days and not need to sink the money into one like old days.

Couldn’t sell mine fast enough. For modern metal? Hard, hard pass. Blues and rock? Sure absolutely, it’s great. But I just think for modern metal it is all wrong in the saturation and low end. It’s a no for me dog.
kept mine for maybe a month. LIked the avenger way better. And no contest to a wizard.

I don’t agree that it takes until 5-6 for that to happen. For me, just like the Wizard MC100 it opened up far lower like 2-3. Killer tones at that level. Tight modern metal? Well, maybe with the right boost pedal…I was so-so on the amp until I boosted it. Sounded like a killer modded Marshall, the way I ran it.
It definitely doesn’t sound bad at 2-3. But higher up, mine just has this amazing compression and bloom to the notes that it doesn’t get at lower volumes. I run the loop master lower so maybe that explains the difference in sound / feel. Your 2-3 is probably similar to my 5-6 given that scenario.

If I could only have one amp, it wouldn’t be an SLO. But it’s fun to have around and experience every once in a while. The circuit is definitely outdated and not suited to modern high gain genres.

Last edited:
Totally agree. It’s got thick, beautiful tone, but it’s way too saturated and soft in the attack for tight, modern metal.
I managed to get some really good, usable metal tones clean boosted, but my Triple and Naylor destroyed it for that application. It would be great for super thick, doom type tones, but even then, it’d probably be insufficient in the low end.

That’s the thing… like for me, yes it’s great at some things. Leads, chord work, CLEANS, etc. but then I think, why am I gonna keep this 4000 dollar amp when I have a ton of amps that ALSO do those things and many do it MUCH better ( for my personal taste)? And if I could only have one amp and I wasn’t in the situation I am now, it for SURE wouldn’t be my only amp either! So for me it just didn’t make sense. It was one of those things that when I mic’d it up and tracked it I’m like wow that’s killer…. Until I A/B’d it to other stuff I own… it was no contest then. People will justify anything in their head to make themselves believe their 4000 dollar amp sounds great. Let’s all be honest, we have ALL done that, including me. But I put a stop to that real quick, and away it went. I used to drool over this thing in like 8th grade looking at musicians friend magazines seeing this expensive ass amp and thinking OMGGGGG it’s gotta be the one blah blah blah. I had every nostalgic reason in my head to justify keeping it. But I couldn’t do it, it just doesn’t do it at all for me. And it’s one of those things I always ask myself to, “ how many of my favorite tones ever were done with this thing?” The answer was not surprisingly, zero.

That’s the thing… like for me, yes it’s great at some things. Leads, chord work, CLEANS, etc. but then I think, why am I gonna keep this 4000 dollar amp when I have a ton of amps that ALSO do those things and many do it MUCH better ( for my personal taste)? And if I could only have one amp and I wasn’t in the situation I am now, it for SURE wouldn’t be my only amp either! So for me it just didn’t make sense. It was one of those things that when I mic’d it up and tracked it I’m like wow that’s killer…. Until I A/B’d it to other stuff I own… it was no contest then. People will justify anything in their head to make themselves believe their 4000 dollar amp sounds great. Let’s all be honest, we have ALL done that, including me. But I put a stop to that real quick, and away it went. I used to drool over this thing in like 8th grade looking at musicians friend magazines seeing this expensive ass amp and thinking OMGGGGG it’s gotta be the one blah blah blah. I had every nostalgic reason in my head to justify keeping it. But I couldn’t do it, it just doesn’t do it at all for me. And it’s one of those things I always ask myself to, “ how many of my favorite tones ever were done with this thing?” The answer was not surprisingly, zero.
Unfortunately for me, my favorite tones are usually a blend of multiple amps.
No soup for you. (Me)

One thing I’ll add; the only amps that get that killer “bloom” at higher volumes are a Wizard, vintage Marshalls(2303/4/5/10, 1987/1959), Naylor, C+, and SLOs. Other amps sound killer and get louder; but that bloom doesn’t happen…they just get loud. For me it’s a completely different power amp response that is unique.

Never heard an SLO clip that wow’d me at all
Just some advice-don’t ever buy/not buy an amp based on clips.
Take the word of guys who’ve played the amp. I remember someone posting a clip of a 6505 vs an SLO. They sounded the same. I’ve played 6505s. I’ve owned a few SLOs. 6505, decent amp but doesn’t have that killer SLO power section. It is tighter for metal; but SLOs are far better sounding for what I like than any 6505 I’ve played. Most on back lines years ago.

The slo is a killer amp. Not the best at modern stuff though.
I think mkii they missed the mark and could have really improved it. 3 channels?

I’ve had a few and sold them. Moved on to the 5150iii.

Take the word of guys who’ve played the amp. I remember someone posting a clip of a 6505 vs an SLO. They sounded the same. I’ve played 6505s. I’ve owned a few SLOs. 6505, decent amp but doesn’t have that killer SLO power section. It is tighter for metal; but SLOs are far better sounding for what I like than any 6505 I’ve played. Most on back lines years ago.
Totally. I have a block letter 5150. It sounds nothing like the SLO to me. They are like two different amps in my opinion.

Take the word of guys who’ve played the amp.

well i gotta disagree cause most of my purchases as of late are amps you cant try and ive gone by clips and im totally happy with all of them. theres nothing in the SLO gain structure i hear that does anything for me for any style :dunno:

Yeah I thought about looking for a decatone suppose to be a little more modern voiced . I liked the mid range quality of soldanos . It cuts real hard , a lot of the more modern amps have a lower frequency to my ears in the mids. At least the ones I’ve played diezels engls etc

Back