SLO vs. the ripoff Rev C Dual Recto- Have you actually played them both?

I had a '89 SLO and a Rev C Recto and agree they sounded very very different. I'd be shocked if the difference was only in the power stage.

Both are great, but not great for the same things.

The Rec has a WAY bigger cultural impact. Has been used on lots of stuff, etc. The SLO is more of a "what guys play when they become irrelevant".

Last edited:
I used to own a 2007 SLO, a Rev C, a Rev E and a Rev F during the same period of time.
They were all used quite a bit at the studio.
When the clients choice would narrow between a Rectifier and the SLO, the SLO would always be the choice for when the tone needed was a medium to high gain tone that would fit blues and classic rock to metal with everything in between. SLO would shine on any tracks that didn't need the huge low end chug that the rectifier has. I did a session, using the SLO, with a punk rock band that were very Minor Threat inspired, and their guitars never sounded that great before or after.
Now, for everything that was from metal and more modern and extreme, that needed both the grind and low end thump, the Rectifiers would always be picked over the SLO.
Both incredibly different, but amazing sounding amps.
Wish I had not sold the SLO. Will carry the Rev C to the grave with me.

Curious to know how many in this thread have actually played a Rectifier Rev C. Hard to have an opinion on something you have no experience in.
Notice my thread title? ;)

I think there should be a required check box for ALL posts that declares..
- I have actually played this amp.
- I have never actually played this amp.

Not so much on this forum , but don’t forget the “ well I’ve played the one in my axe fx, and it sounds like ….” Check box as well!

Looks like Cardinal is the only who’s played both a Rev C and ‘89 SLO. Prime examples of both amps. I’d like to try a Rev C to see how it compares to the D

Yup. Played multiples of both … and I’ve never liked either of them. 🤣 in the same room I much preferred the Rev F over the C. The C was just too bright.

Same question can be asked about the C+; why in the world would they stop making that in favor of the far worse sounding Mark III. The 2 IIIs I had, at the same time (Purple, Red DRGs) were like cardboard cutouts vs my SRG C+..
Lotta these amp makers ruined a great thing they once had and are in denial about it. IIC+, early Rev Recto’s, Blueface, Rev 1 Ubers and early SLO’s. It’s the denial part that bothers me because all of those amps (except the c+) I crossed off my list only to discover many years later that the later versions just weren’t the ones to get and were far worse sounding. These guys imo should be pushed to step up their game and be at least as good, if not better than they used to be, not worse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quick! Get my gun! I don’t know what’s on the other side, but I bet it’s better than that!

I regret selling my SLO, but only because I could’ve sold it for WAY more now.

Good live and rehearsal amp for Fr00t rock, but so was my Peavey Ultra that cost 10% of the SLO.

You have to run a Rectifier in vintage mode to get the Soldano tone. I had an SLO and Rev F at the same time and the Recto's red channel vintage mode (bold/diode) was extremely close. SLO is a bit bigger in the low end (fuller on palm mutes) while the Recto has more bite.

at the risk of sounding like a moron, if rev C is so great why wouldnt they just keep it?
I think often times we don’t appreciate at the time how good some things are when they’re more attainable. I don’t know the answer, but I’ve heard some say some felt it was too bright and that there was a push for a darker, thicker wall of sound that seems to be how they were later, but I don’t know, the clips of the Rev C still have the thick recto sound to me and my Rev D certainly does as well

I think likewise with the c+ to the iii, maybe it could’ve seemed like an evolution or step up at the time with those extra features and gain, but they overlooked how the tone and feel itself actually got worse. Sometimes these amp makers are just imo too technical, going off of too much what’s on paper vs actually using their damn ears

Same question can be asked about the C+; why in the world would they stop making that in favor of the far worse sounding Mark III. The 2 IIIs I had, at the same time (Purple, Red DRGs) were like cardboard cutouts vs my SRG C+..

i was gonna mention that, but isnt that a transformer issue they no longer made?? isnt there a simple mod to bring a recto to C specs?

I think often times we don’t appreciate at the time how good some things are when they’re more attainable. I don’t know the answer, but I’ve heard some say some felt it was too bright and that there was a push for a darker, thicker wall of sound that seems to be how they were later, but I don’t know, the clips of the Rev C still have the thick recto sound to me and my Rev D certainly does as well

I think likewise with the c+ to the iii, maybe it could’ve seemed like an evolution or step up at the time with those extra features and gain, but they overlooked how the tone and feel itself actually got worse. Sometimes these amp makers are just imo too technical, going off of too much what’s on paper vs actually using their damn ears
To add, at least with Mesa, what I've read over the years is that they are constantly chasing what the artists at that moment in time are asking for. They're in the business of selling new amps, so it makes sense. The Mark series evolution is a perfect example of this.

I always hear that, however this C is in no way too bright. Interesting. It just straight crushes! Here's a quick garage phone clip of it boosted through a trad recto 4x12.
None of your clips sounded too bright to me either, could’ve even been brighter and I would not have complained. My Rev D is still by most standards quite a dark amp imo. I think some guy’s ears just have lower tolerances for brightness kinda like how some will find some foods too spicy or some thing like a raw lemon too sour (I don’t actually lol)

Back