SLO vs. the ripoff Rev C Dual Recto- Have you actually played them both?

Meaning if you have 2 players unmic’d jamming, the Guy with the Recto is going to have to crank his amp a bit more to keep things at same levels. A lot of wattage is used for the extended low end of the Recto vs the SLO. Mic’d isn’t an issue. Simply a point the Mesas sound great but but in a room with more mid focused amps needs to be pushed harder.

If that’s what you meant then yes, I guess I could see what you are saying, agreed. I think we just need to be more clear in what context we are all giving our opinions from. I almost always give mine from a studio perspective or recording music etc. because at the end of the day, we all listen to music which is the sound of microphones on a source, so that’s the angle im always coming from in my opinions personally.

If that’s what you meant then yes, I guess I could see what you are saying, agreed. I think we just need to be more clear in what context we are all giving our opinions from. I almost always give mine from a studio perspective or recording music etc. because at the end of the day, we all listen to music which is the sound of microphones on a source, so that’s the angle im always coming from in my opinions personally.
I get that your very talented and look at things from a more professional, studio, mixing, live sound standpoint. That said, many on this forum simply play amps in room, jam, etc. My observations were from being in room. Yes, I could have clarified better.

I get that your very talented and look at things from a more professional, studio, mixing, live sound standpoint. That said, many on this forum simply play amps in room, jam, etc. My observations were from being in room. Yes, I could have clarified better.

I wasn’t insinuating anything about talent or professionalism etc, im definitely not a pro man, I was just stating for clarity if something I said seems off or people think is strange coming from
Their world, that’s where im coming from that’s all!

I would add that, while I agree with Rev G or newer Rectos having a less than desirable lead tone the earlier version (F or earlier) have a pretty nice lead tone, in my experience.
Not to the SLO level though.
Which revision do you prefer? For tone I like a raw, less compressed sound that I can compress later with other gain staging done on my end. I started out with an original 3 channel one. Mulitwatt was much better from what I've heard. I've only played a 2 channel Recto for short periods - usually before soundchecks, but it's been awhile. If the feel is less stiff and more immediate - great!

Last edited:
The MultiWatts are very good, voiced like a Rev F, but with an actual good clean channel. A Rev F is a little more raw / vintage but it lacks the MW's usefulness. Note the Dual MW has better upper mids than the Triple MW does.

The early Gs that were "small logo" have also been very good, I've had a few. Still Gs, but tonally very good ones.

The Rev C is like a normal Recto that just did a couple lines off a mirror.

Playing at home / cork sniffing / recording? C-F all the way.

Playing in a band that needs more than "chug only"? Dual MW for sure.

Which revision do you prefer? For tone I like a raw, less compressed sound that I can compress later with other gain staging done on my end. I started out with an original 3 channel one. Mulitwatt was much better from what I've heard. I've only played a 2 channel Recto for short periods - usually before soundchecks, but it's been awhile. If the feel is less stiff and more immediate - great!
I had one G blackout Triple that was great; nice open raw tone while being compressed like a Recto....lead tone was good not great. Another G Triple I had, chrome/black didn't have that same tone and was flat sounding by comparison. Not a good lead tone IMO. Then, my first F Triple was better than either G in lead tone, and Rhythm was more open/organic sounding. My latest F Triple is a Euro voltage, not sure if that's why but it is on another level better than the previous F I had...and the lead tone is much better as well. Haven't tried an E or earlier though.

Owned both and thought they are both amazing amps. Ended up keeping the Recto as i prefer the tone and feel, it's one of my favorite amps ever.

wait what does B.A.D. SLO mean and what where is this dual rectifier C clone?

what is going on, what are you talking about

sorry
thanks

You aren’t missing anything…

This, right here, is the holy grail of dumb internet folklore that gives me a stroke anytime I see it brought up… they… sound… nothing…. Fucking…. Alike…. At all…

Let me just be the first to put this to bed, and would love to someone argue against me. Because they sound absolutely nothing alike.

If you think these two amps sound even remotely similar, you are deaf. Period. Fight me…. No but seriously…. You are absolutely deaf, and I’m sorry you hear things that way…

Now that I have that out of the way, once again, you aren’t missing anything; congrats, you just aren’t deaf!
You can make the preamps sound almost identical in 2 hours and $150 in parts
The power section would be different but the OD tones very close

sorry
thanks

B.A.D. = Boutique Amps Distribution

http://www.boutiqueampsdistribution.com/
They make amps for people like Diezel, Egnater, Friedman, and Soldano most lately. Mike Soldano 'retired' and handed over the manufacturing reigns to B.A.D.

I don't think he was talking about a clone, I think he was just saying there is that argument/concept of Randall Smith of Mesa Engineering 'stealing' or 'cloning' Mike Soldano's preamp circuit from the an SLO.

Or something like that.

Last edited:
So which is which?

1643929583550.png

The rev c preamp is cloned apart from the slope resistor and gain pot values. The power amp in the rec is the Mark III design and in the SLO is regular marshall fender type. Makes sense as the rev A and B prototypes were built into mark series chassis. Pretty obvious Mesa slapped the SLO preamp into the mark and ran with it.

Can also understand why they did that, at the time the Mark series amps had gone through so many small iterations and had become quite complicated - from a user and manufacturer perspective. The SLO came out, sounded good and wasnt anywhere near as complex to build or use. Grab it and go.

Last edited:

sorry
thanks
You might mean a Rev G Recto that has has a Rev C mod? Mike B used to do them; not sure if he still is. But, you can check the Boogie Board for a sticky thread about doing your own C mods to a Rev G. I did a few to an F Triple; the Red sounded more like the Orange modern and the whole amp got a little more clarity.

Back