Celestion Creamback M65 fans?

Good point.
Next step, sell my V30s.
When I get the M65s, I'll think about which speakers to get to blend with them. I like mixing speakers. Either Mesa V30s, C90s/CL80s or H75
My 1-12

Attachments

• 20220217_152300.jpg
    20220217_152300.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 52
Hmm, I just found a guy selling UK (Mesa) V30s for $140 shipped.

Could also do CL80/M65 or CL80/V30.
I used to have Lynchback/CL80 and loved it.
You can also get them directly from Mesa, I think $145 new/shipped. I have A/Bed them with Chinese versions and they are very similar, but like everyone says - that mid hump is just toned down a bit/shifted slightly in the Mesa version. It comes off as smoother but otherwise sounds like a V30 to me!

You can also get them directly from Mesa, I think $145 new/shipped. I have A/Bed them with Chinese versions and they are very similar, but like everyone says - that mid hump is just toned down a bit/shifted slightly in the Mesa version. It comes off as smoother but otherwise sounds like a V30 to me!
I hear ya!
Unless I go CL80/M65 which is similar to my old cab of CL80/Lynchback. It was killer.

I love Redbacks and didn’t care for the H75 Creamback either. Don’t overlook the G12-65. That’s been the perfect high powered “Greenback” type sound for 40 years, imho. I wouldn’t use them with darker amps, but Marshall-type amps sound killer with them.

I tried them once in a 2x12 and they weren’t bad or anything it just wasn’t the sound I was looking for. I found them a little dry and flat EQ wise but just my personal preference.
Currently I have a newer vertical Marshall 2x12 with the V type that I also have mixed feelings about. And a 1x12 with an 8 ohm off the shelf v30 that I quite like. Would like to try a redback someday. I was always a g12t-75 fan but only in the room, they don’t sound great recorded.

I have found, over time, that my favorite set ups are:

1x12 - Alnico Cream - Perfectly balanced speaker to my ears, best tone I've ever gotten in a 1x12.
2x12 - M65 / V30 - Gives a great balanced tone when combined. I've tried V30s alone, M65/H75, V30 / Alnico Cream, V30 / Greenback etc., EVMs, Eminence, WGS etc. This combo gave a better power rating than V30/Greenback, better tone to my ears than most other combos and cheaper than the Alnico Cream/V30 combo.
4x12 - Greenbacks / V30s - Ive had a slew of 4X12s with all V30s or Greenbacks or EVMs or mixes and the mix of V30s and Greenbacks gives me the best results for my desires. Classic tones are there, modern tones are there, just sounds like what Im expecting to hear. M65/V30 is the most comparable 2x12 pairing with decent power handling.

I love Redbacks and didn’t care for the H75 Creamback either. Don’t overlook the G12-65. That’s been the perfect high powered “Greenback” type sound for 40 years, imho. I wouldn’t use them with darker amps, but Marshall-type amps sound killer with them.
True on the Redback!
I like the CB M65 and G12-65. I think the M65 is a little warmer. I may do M65/CL80(or V30).

Last edited:
Do you guys think it's a good idea to ditch my stock Bogner cab China V30s and grab UK V30s.
I can't decide if I should do that or get CL80s.

I think a different speaker would have a more dramatic effect than changing which origin of V30...
I generally agree, but all versions of the V30 do not sound the same. I absolutely hate my SLO with Chinese V30s. I played it once through my buddy’s 4x12 with Marshall-labeled V30s, and it was a completely different experience. Those Marshall V30s sound incredible, imho. Not even comparable to the Chinese versions.

I generally agree, but all versions of the V30 do not sound the same. I absolutely hate my SLO with Chinese V30s. I played it once through my buddy’s 4x12 with Marshall-labeled V30s, and it was a completely different experience. Those Marshall V30s sound incredible, imho. Not even comparable to the Chinese versions.
I understand where you are coming from, that said, when using same amp, settings, cab, in the same room or space I have found only very subtle differences between chinese and english made greenbacks and V30s in my past.

There are so many variables at play, the differences in the tone could be due to age, materials used for that production batch, prior usage levels, space you're in etc. as much as it could be coming from the difference in country of origin. There are too many variable interactions involved when comparing speakers, unless you are using the same amp, settings, cab, space etc., to distinguish if there is true difference or not for any one variable. Its all subjective though, if you think it sounds better, it does. The interactions blur the lines between why it sounds better and the more variables that are different in the "tone experiments" we run only contribute to the blurring effect...

They sound different enough that Marshall themselves don’t call theirs a “V30”. It’s a Marshall Vintage and the specs are different enough that it’s never referred to as a “Marshall Vintage 30”. Adding to the confusion is that they occasionally do use standard production V30s in some cabs. Those are the typical ones with Celestion, not Marshall, on the labels. The nomenclature is a mess!

They sound different enough that Marshall themselves don’t call theirs a “V30”. It’s a Marshall Vintage and the specs are different enough that it’s never referred to as a “Marshall Vintage 30”. Adding to the confusion is that they occasionally do use standard production V30s in some cabs. Those are the typical ones with Celestion, not Marshall, on the labels. The nomenclature is a mess!
Kinda my point. Different spec = Different speaker... can't call that apples to apples if comparing to a v30.

Well, whatever the hell they’re called, they kick absolute ass. It’s a mystery to me why those speakers aren’t out there, readily available.

Yes, killer speaker. I have a Creamback M mixed with a Gold in the main cab I use with my Wizard MC25 and its awesome, my SLO 30 sounds fantastic through that same cab. I also have one in a Wizard 1x12 I use. Looking into one more 2x12 and will likely load with an Alnico Cream / Creamback M combo this time....

I'm not a big V30 fan so I put 2 G12h75 and G12t75 in an X pattern in my 412. They compliment each other well

Back