What was you’re first guitar?

And the "Stupidity of Youth Award" goes to....me.

I had been playing an acoustic for a few years, but wanted an electric.
My father acquired from a touring co-worker, a....
1965 Gibson Melody Maker.
Cherry red. Double cutaways.
Double pickups, with tremolo.

He scored it for like $200 because it was a road dog.
Finish was checked all to hell. Neck was broken and repaired, twice.
Didn't stay in tune for nothing.
Single coils sounded horrible.

I absolutely hated it.
I was heavy into RATT at the time, and here I had this grandpa guitar.
I traded it a few years later for something pointy.

Ironically, I now play country music and would kill to have that guitar back.
We've all been there man. I was into all of those hair metal guitars and my friend had an old Gretsch. I told him it was some cheap guitar he probably wouldn't get anything for when we went to a pawn shop. The guys in the shop told him "here is some advice...don't listen to your friend" . Lol

Cherry sunburst Hondo II LP copy in 1980. Had it about a year and figured out the bridge was in the wrong place and wouldnt intonate.

1966 or 67 Fender Jaguar I was so embarrassed of it because all my friends had the hot looking Kramer's and back in the day Arbor that were very fancy looking I would do anything to get that guitar back now

I don’t have a picture but get this . Lol my first guitar was a yellow SG standard body with a mirror pick guard . Lol then it had one single coil pick up with a strat neck . I’ll find a picture. Some guy made it. The most insane guitar mongrel lol
7AA595D9-5036-41B1-9DFC-76B75C01B789.jpeg

Here’s what’s left of it lol . Got fucked up some

My first guitar was an Aria Pro II FS in Red. I knew absolutely nothing about guitar, but it's all the things I absolutely hate about guitars now. :ROFLMAO: Red guitars, SSS pickup layout, painted necks, rosewood boards, dislike all that stuff, but man I'd like to have one again.

Attachments

• 81cbf2b6-392b-44c5-b32f-a6264fb09cdc.jpeg
    81cbf2b6-392b-44c5-b32f-a6264fb09cdc.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Geo
In 1988 I got a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom in wine red for $450. You could get a brand new Les Paul Standard for $800. Had I only known... I would have bought five. lol!

In 1988 I got a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom in wine red for $450. You could get a brand new Les Paul Standard for $800. Had I only known... I would have bought five. lol!
Makes me wonder if the price of an LP Custom will be 20k in 10 years.

Makes me wonder if the price of an LP Custom will be 20k in 10 years.
No kidding. I've been eyeballing a new ebony custom, but having a hard time swallowing that $5k price tag. I'd love to pick up a 78ish LPC, but those prices are beyond my checkbook...lol!

The Warlock on the right has been in my life since day one as it was a gift to my Father from my Uncles when I was born. "My" first outside of that was a shiny new 1988 Class Axe BC Rich Virgin that I also still possess, but it has seen far better days.
warlock.jpg

My first was a Hondo single pickup bolt on LP copy. (good lord…)
Mine was a Hondo LP copy I got from my Uncle…cannot remember how it was constructed or much else other than it was a Tobacco burst and an asshat “friend” of mine smashed it on his driveway as a “joke.”

Bought a Sears single pickup guitar from a friend for 5 bucks. It was a tobacco sunburst I didn’t like so I hand sanded it and stained it brown. That was 82. Then I ”upgraded” to Yakima Les Paul copy.
big spender
you must have pimped your sister's ass out for that 5 bucks huh "pal"

[mod edit]
Inappropriate.
Your repeated attacks on the guy today have earned you a 2-day reward.

Back