Old/New Switch

• Thread starter Deleted member 27935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27935

Hi guys,

I am considering to buy a Super Sport 50. There is the option of adding an "Old/New" switch. Can anyone describe what it does compared to the regular version without the switch? Thanks in advance! :)

I have it on my Super Sport, it adds "oomph" and some heat. It's subtle, but I go back and forth all the time between new/old. I don't use the mid cut much except when I use my 7 string and go more metal or I go full shred mode, but the new old, is an option I'm glad I got.

I find Old adds a bit more bass and less 'scratch' and highs. I prefer New, and increase my bass: to me its tighter and more articulate.

I find Old adds a bit more bass and less 'scratch' and highs. I prefer New, and increase my bass: to me its tighter and more articulate.

YEP, OLD sort of makes the sound more chocolatey or creamy or smears up the sound where 'new' is tighter and more articulate. You are exactly correct, (well on my Mini-Comp as my other 2 Splawns don't have that). To me it kinda depends on my mood or my ears during the gig, or which guitar I'm using

Eric

Been playing with Old lately. I don't know if a tube went squirrely on me & and I'll be checking that soon, but I feel like in Old, the Splawn is bloated n the lows & it's kind of 'muddy'. I don't recall this being the case at higher volumes.

I've 4 month old tubes in it:

V1: Tung Sol
V2: Ruby AC5 HG+
V3: Sovtek LPS
Power: JJ EL34 II's

Anyone else find Old a bit too 'bassy' or flubby in the single lower string notes?

Been playing with Old lately. I don't know if a tube went squirrely on me & and I'll be checking that soon, but I feel like in Old, the Splawn is bloated n the lows & it's kind of 'muddy'. I don't recall this being the case at higher volumes.

I've 4 month old tubes in it:

V1: Tung Sol
V2: Ruby AC5 HG+
V3: Sovtek LPS
Power: JJ EL34 II's

Anyone else find Old a bit too 'bassy' or flubby in the single lower string notes?
definitely add bass, I tend to only use it now with my single coil guitars as I had it on during a gig and you could hear the extra "boom" especially palm muted stuff. I tend to use it it all the time when noodling at home at low volume but at gig volume I go to "New"

definitely add bass, I tend to only use it now with my single coil guitars as I had it on during a gig and you could hear the extra "boom" especially palm muted stuff. I tend to use it it all the time when noodling at home at low volume but at gig volume I go to "New"
Yup, exactly. I like it: Old. To me, there is a pretty drastic difference between Old & New. I dig both, but prefer New.

Back