Celestion EVH To Pair W/ H30 Anniversary?

Bad.Seed

Title says it all! I'm looking for a darker, more vintage inspired speaker to pair with 2 8 ohm H30 Anniversary speakers in a Peavey 5150 Cab that I gutted the sheffields from.

I have pretty much all the relevant modern production celestions, except the EVH and the M25 Greenback Heritage model. I am generally a thrash metal/hardcore guy but have aso been exploring my punk roots again lately.

Does the EVH break up easily or get ratty with high gain? Think it'd pair well on top of a 412 with the H30 on the bottom?

If this is a straight cab. Try the GH30 with Greenbacks. GH30 on bottom, GB's on top. No clue what that will sound like in the 5150 cab (which IMO are really good cabs) but the best sounding cab I have ever heard or owned was a Mojave 4x12 with that combination. Massive sounding and sounded good with a variety of amps ala Splawn QR, 5150 OG and JSX at the time. Note - these were standard GB's so maybe the EVH is closer to that.

And that pairing of the GH30 with the Classic was certainly surprising as well.

The EVH's could work in a 4x12 with H30's. However, the H30's will be a lot louder than the EVH's so if you're going to do it, put the EVH's on top.

I don't agree that the pairing will be too bright though. I have two EVH 4x12 cabs and I don't consider those cabs overly bright at all. I've always thought of the EVH speakers as standard Greenbacks but without the papery high end. In other words, the EVH cabs have the midrange warmth of normal M magnet Greenbacks, but the EVH's highs are much smoother. They also might pair well with the H30's, which do have a spike in the highs as well as strong low end.

As for your question about the EVH speakers getting ratty with high gain, I don't think so at all. I have an EVH 100w EL34 and 100w Stealth, both of which as I'm sure you're aware put out a ton of upper harmonics and white noise with the gain up, and both of those amps sounds great through the EVH cabs.

Last edited:
I run cl80 with h30 anniversaries for years. The h30 anny have more upper freq extension , that very upper sizzle that I love, kinda like a more open sounding green back with deeper bass to. The cl80 is much darker, neutral and flat sounding and helps balance the h30 anny sound. I love the mix of those two. I found all h30 anny to be to a bit to bright , and all cl80 to be to dark and flat sounding.

Hope that helps!

I run cl80 with h30 anniversaries for years. The h30 anny have more upper freq extension , that very upper sizzle that I love, kinda like a more open sounding green back with deeper bass to. The cl80 is much darker, neutral and flat sounding and helps balance the h30 anny sound. I love the mix of those two. I found all h30 anny to be to a bit to bright , and all cl80 to be to dark and flat sounding.

Hope that helps!
Yeah, CL80's are not a bright speaker. They are neutral and even across the board. Nice, tight bass though. I'm a huge fan of the Mesa version MC90. Loved those in 1x12 Thieles.

I had a splawn 2 x 12 cab with an evh 20 watt and 30 anniversary g12h and it sounded awesome! From rock to metal to blues.

I didn't have that speaker combo in the same cab but had one of each in a 1x12 briefly and used a Radial Cab Link to use with my Splawn SS . The G12H30 was noticeably louder than the EVH but with that said it sounded really good

Hope that helps!
On point.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give the Classic Lead 80's a try with the anniversary speakers.

I always put them in the bright category because the only cabs I tried them in were the older Mesa metal grate front loaded smaller 412s, and those cabs are bright by nature. The brightness was attributed to the speaker and not the cab on my end.

Hope that helps!
Would you say to install this combo in an "X" Pattern or to put the h30's on top or Bottom? I have a Marshall 1960BHW that has the Heritage G12H30 Speakers and i find it a little bright for my tastes.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give the Classic Lead 80's a try with the anniversary speakers.

I always put them in the bright category because the only cabs I tried them in were the older Mesa metal grate front loaded smaller 412s, and those cabs are bright by nature. The brightness was attributed to the speaker and not the cab on my end.
The Mesa cab had C90s? If they were they are far brighter than the CL80; even though they are related.
The CL80 seems to sound more like the old lead cone G12 80s which are a neutral sounding speaker

Last edited:

Do a video comparison pls...
Always nice to hear speakers apart from the usual v30-greenback...

Probably somewhat unrelated to your question but I did replace the G12H30s in my EVH 2x12 with the EVH Greenbacks and I think it sounds a lot better. I have owned the EVH 4x12 in the past and wouldn’t see the need to mix with G12H30s. Lastly, I have not liked the G12H30s whenever I have had them but always liked the EVH Greenbacks

Thanks Man. I've always felt that my cab was a little bright. the CL80's should help with that.

Yea h30 anniversaries have that upper sizzle presence. I love them but 4 in a cab can be a little harsh. I dig them though they have a very open sound on the top. The cl80 will Def smooth it out a bit

Yea h30 anniversaries have that upper sizzle presence. I love them but 4 in a cab can be a little harsh. I dig them though they have a very open sound on the top. The cl80 will Def smooth it out a bit
Everyone kept telling me to mix V30's with the Heritage G12H30. I just couldn't bring myself to do it cause i wanted to try something new.

Back