Celestion EVH Greenbacks

gtrwun,the VHT Deliverance are close but I just sent my 68 plexi spec clone to Rockstah to have modded(mod5).I feel that the mod 5 is alittle closer to van halen sound then the Deliverance.

I agree nitro. I had a D120 and I loved it! But I still have my Mojave Peacemaker with the Mod5 in it! Love it more!

According to the guy I bought it from , he did. But I got it off E-BAY, so who knows? But the work is clean and it sounds right to me.

Had a chance to play some recently, great for classic rock, but wouldn't go heavier than 80s rock. Greenbacks are not the first choice for hard rock. Any V30, CL80, 65, 75, K100 or the new Lynchbacks or Creambacks will destroy 25 GBs for hard rock.

richedie":1revkr81 said:
Had a chance to play some recently, great for classic rock, but wouldn't go heavier than 80s rock. Greenbacks are not the first choice for hard rock. Any V30, CL80, 65, 75, K100 or the new Lynchbacks or Creambacks will destroy 25 GBs for hard rock.
Seem to work just fine for heavy stuff to me...

I have 0 complaints when using my EVH 4x12s while recording everything from blues to hard rock, from metal to death and sludge! And if it's good enough for EVH and Eric Peterson, it's sure good enough for me. :thumbsup:

madrigal77":3ozn9kt3 said:
Seem to work just fine for heavy stuff to me...

Iguess I feel Greenbacks were designed many years ago for non master volume amps? Not as tight either. So, if you want to use modern amps with a master volume, seems to make more sense to me to use a more modern design. :)

Hey guys, Greenbacks rock....don't get me wrong. My point was this, they were designed in the 60s, right? They struggle to stay tight in the bass, can get ratty and raspy, fairly quick. A better bet could be high powered Greenback style speakers like G12-65s or the new Creambacks. The Lynchbacks are also like a better Greenback, better able to handle modern amps.

I found out the cab/speakers I tried out through a friend actually has a blown speaker! Sorry bought that guys! I was wrong....the EVH, just like the standard Heritage Greens, rock!

In my Splawn 412, I was going to blend Lynchbacks and Creambacks....but the whole idea of the Creamback is a high powered Grteenback, but I don't need that in a 412!

. I am thinking I may rather grab some used 25 watt Greenbacks and call it a day, or used G12-65, maybe even a mix of G12-65/Heritage Greenbacks! How about that blend??? :)

I have a Randall cabinet that I wired up in an x pattern with with evhs and g12k100s with 10 gauge wire. Best cabinet ever. It's got the mods of the EVH and the lows of g12k100s.

vintagemusicgear":74ycaxyn said:
Has anyone A/B's the chinese vs. UK greenbacks? I would expect the Chinese ones to be a little brighter because they are newer.

Once broken in, I can;t hear a difference. A friend of mine did A/B Chinese and UK V30s and the Chinese V30s sounded smoother and warmer. The Chinese GBs to me, sound like they have smoother or warmer highs.

Try the Lynchbacks. Much thicker and warmer than the EVH Greenbacks which are just Heritage GBs. GBs always seem too thin and anemic to me for hard rock. Lynchbacks fix that, like a nice V30, with some GB flavor. :)

richedie":szgq10ee said:
Try the Lynchbacks. Much thicker and warmer than the EVH Greenbacks which are just Heritage GBs. GBs always seem too thin and anemic to me for hard rock. Lynchbacks fix that, like a nice V30, with some GB flavor. :)
Sound pretty thick here to me for metal :confused:

I don't hear how they are that tight. Maybe try the Creambacks or Lynchbacks if you want to cover high gain hard rock. I have actually come to like the Heritage and EVH Greenbacks and may end up with them in my 412 for one more stab at trying to find a 412 speaker set that works for me.

Back