Current Production Fender Strat for Rock/Metal?

I'm leaning towards a Charvel DK22 SSS 2PT. Fender just doesn't have anything decked out, and the stacked bridge pickup and 2 true singles check the boxes. I just hope the tuning issues many have complained about have been sorted. Seems like first runs were the turds. I got a special deal from ZZounds Im thinking of grabbing it.
Well, technically Charvel is Fender now since their acquired them about 20 years ago! I think that DK model is MIM in same Fender plant, can you get it in a hardtail? If not, FWIW I have a 2006 Highway one USA partscaster with the tremolo blocked, and I've never had any problems with sustain or intonation - just leave the trem arm in the case. One other thought, preloaded Strat pickguards are plentiful and dead easy to install, hope you find a Strat you otherwise like it's not big deal to swap to a configuration you want. I got a great deal on a 920D loaded pickguard for about half price, HSH configuration with Seymour Duncan P-rails & S1 push-push pots for splitting coils, it's awesome, covers all styles.

I've also wanted an HSS Fender Strat with a hard tail for a while now, preferably in Ice Blue Metallic with a Rosewood board. I haven't found any production Fenders that fit the bill in several years of looking.

If you're willing to shell out $2k, you can configure this build in the Fender Mod Shop on the website. Not cheap for what you get, but there you go. Or, you could spec out a Warmoth at a much lower price for probably equal build quality.

Also, one thing to consider if you're used to playing other guitars: If you find a strat you like, just be aware that a lot of players, me included, think the volume pot location on a Strat is awful. It's way too close to the right-hand playing position and gets in the way. On my SSS Strat, I find myself hitting it constantly. You can always have it rewired from three knobs (volume, tone, tone) down to two (volume, global tone) and just use the middle and lower pickguard knob ports, leaving the top port empty.

Last edited:
I actually LOVED the Schecter Nick Johnston I had, but the humbucker was lackluster at best, and the single coils were the opposite of noiseless! Awful.

Consider NJ singles aren't meant to be played under high doses of gain honestly. And yeah, the import super 78 is nothing special, but the USA version, the Pasadena, is very cool.

Consider NJ singles aren't meant to be played under high doses of gain honestly. And yeah, the import super 78 is nothing special, but the USA version, the Pasadena, is very cool.
I'm actually considering the NJ, and gutting it. I really did like the Atomic Ink I had. I'm looking real hard at the white SSS with ebony board. I can't bring myself to jump on the Charvel. Every Schecter I've owned has been way better built than any Charvel. I had the black limba Exotic too that I was blown away by. But, UPS damaged it, and back it went.

I had a couple Solo II Customs with Pasadena/Plus pickups. They are fantastic!

I'm actually considering the NJ, and gutting it. I really did like the Atomic Ink I had. I'm looking real hard at the white SSS with ebony board. I can't bring myself to jump on the Charvel. Every Schecter I've owned has been way better built than any Charvel. I had the black limba Exotic too that I was blown away by. But, UPS damaged it, and back it went.

I had a couple Solo II Customs with Pasadena/Plus pickups. They are fantastic
Yeah their pickups are definitely underrated. For a shred metal strat I'd go with the sunset strip personally

I've also wanted an HSS Fender Strat with a hard tail for a while now, preferably in Ice Blue Metallic with a Rosewood board. I haven't found any production Fenders that fit the bill in several years of looking.

If you're willing to shell out $2k, you can configure this build in the Fender Mod Shop on the website. Not cheap for what you get, but there you go. Or, you could spec out a Warmoth at a much lower price for probably equal build quality.

Also, one thing to consider if you're used to playing other guitars: If you find a strat you like, just be aware that a lot of players, me included, think the volume pot location on a Strat is awful. It's way too close to the right-hand playing position and gets in the way. On my SSS Strat, I find myself hitting it constantly. You can always have it rewired from three knobs (volume, tone, tone) down to two (volume, global tone) and just use the middle and lower pickguard knob ports, leaving the top port empty.
If you want to keep all 3 controls, some aftermarket Strat pickguards come with volume knob's location moved further away from strings to deal with that problem - it used to drive me nuts on a MIJ Strat, but when I upgraded with a different loaded pickguard, the volume pot turned a lot stiffer & wasn't an issue, never bothered to move it. Warmoth pickguards call it "Delonge" option after Tom DeLonge Strat's volume position (guy from Blink 182). You could also get a blank pickguard & drill your own to taste. If you are a volume swell maniac I can understand why you would want it right there, otherwise, it's just a PITA.

Back