So, who are the Strat guru's around here?

While I agree for me and some people…I always say don’t build a guitar to HAVE the guitar. Just go buy a guitar to HAVE a guitar.

Only build a guitar if you really desire to BUILD a guitar. So many people have built a guitar to the exact specs they thought they wanted only to not like/love it.

That said, partscasters can be killer deals but I’d only buy one if I can play it.

I had great results with mine, but being fair, I LOVE doing setups and working on guitars, sometimes more than playing them and when ‘issues’ pop up, I don’t see them as issues but chances for me to prove to myself I know what I’m doing, despite having never built one before.

Shit’s pretty easy if you pay attention when ordering to ensure necks/neck joints match up and if you get the trem screws drilled by the builder (I wouldn’t wanna fuck with that on my first build). I just realized last night that my Gilmour Strat gets more action than any other guitar I own, the only thing I’d do differently next time is get a bigger neck made, but I didn’t know that until after I got a 1” AllParts neck and fell in love with fat necks.

I had great results with mine, but being fair, I LOVE doing setups and working on guitars, sometimes more than playing them and when ‘issues’ pop up, I don’t see them as issues but chances for me to prove to myself I know what I’m doing, despite having never built one before.

Shit’s pretty easy if you pay attention when ordering to ensure necks/neck joints match up and if you get the trem screws drilled by the builder (I wouldn’t wanna fuck with that on my first build). I just realized last night that my Gilmour Strat gets more action than any other guitar I own, the only thing I’d do differently next time is get a bigger neck made, but I didn’t know that until after I got a 1” AllParts neck and fell in love with fat necks.
I agree with this. I am an ape, but I had fairly standard parts made by reputable manufacturers, and a guitar I assembled from parts while in college (2011) is my best playing and sounding guitar. It went together easy, and was fun. Its a good way to try any odd specs you may not get otherwise. My next neck I order will be 1 3/4" nut width because of this.

I've seen some of those really cheap on the used market. Too sleek and curvy for my tastes. Certainly good deals on them out there.
They were going for $600 from Franklin Guitar Works on Reverb around Christmas. They still have a few models, but the price went up $50. I bought four of them as gifts that were all marked as mint, and they all arrived brand new in unopened boxes.

With Strats you really have to go out and play a bunch and find one that has the slinky feel and tone that speaks to you, so much variance even between the same model....you have to try a bunch and find one that you bond with......even if you find a SSS that checks those boxes, they're routed for humbuckers so it's easy to upgrade it(and fun!) You can always deck a trem if need be if you're willing to do that..

I feel you, Yngwie, Norum, Moore(metal era)...I'm there! I like the American series from 2000-2007(it has the micro-tilt).....easy to tweak to your liking! Good luck!

Had a blast tweaking, Air Zone(no tone pot), Area 61, Injector neck(500k push pull tone on M/N)....500k pots, blower switch, bridge series/parallel on the push pull)...got that fuckin' volume pot moved back that hugs the bridge pickup(only thing that drives me nuts about stock strats)

View attachment 287855View attachment 287852

I have a 3 tone sunburst 2003 American strat with HSS factory config and two point trem (much more stable than he traditional 6 screw). It's a great guitar ! Sounds great, super comfy, I can get the action super super low without any buzzing. Can be had for cheap anytime. It's the one to get IMHO.

I have a 3 tone sunburst 2003 American strat with HSS factory config and two point trem (much more stable than he traditional 6 screw). It's a great guitar ! Sounds great, super comfy, I can get the action super super low without any buzzing. Can be had for cheap anytime. It's the one to get IMHO.
Yes indeed they are NICE....I also prefer the 2 point trem and those saddles.....was a much better transition from a FR if you're a floyd guy like myself.... That guitar is super resonant, slinky bends, low action and easy to play, damn good guitar...stays in tune good...a KEEPER!

The HWY 1 strata are very nice for the money. I tend to like the 2010 era strats with the fat 50s pickups.

I’m not a big traditional Strat guy but I like having it around and play sometimes. I’ll second the American Professional II. To me, when I was looking, it kind of the real deal so to speak, American made good quality, not a substitute, etc… satisfied the itch so even if I got a different brand I know I’d always wonder about trying an actual American made fender. I have one in vintage yellow with a solid rosewood neck that plays great. You can find good prices on used ones too. I added extra springs so it’s pretty much a stop tail.

Biggest issue for me is that volume knob right next to the bridge pickup, just can’t get used to it. So I ordered pickguards from Warmoth that moved the volume knob closer to the 5-way and put a set of Seymour Duncan YJM pickups and it’s fun to play. I also picked up an early model Yngwie Strat and did the same thing with the pickguard with only 1 Vol and 1 Tone located where the 2 Tone knobs would normally be and that’s fun too.

@napalmdeath , if I remember, you like some of the schecter stuff? Have you looked at the nick Johnston strat they have? I don't know anything about them, just a thought...

Back