Lynch Mob

messenger

I never really listened to them much before (other than the song Wicked Sensation). But man they are pretty killer. I prefer it to Dokken. Anyone know what Lynch was using then?

Wicked Sensation album was recorded with primarily a modded plexi (likely the Aspen Pittman 'Purple Plexi'), but the SLO was apparently not used all that much according to many sources. Greenback cab, Duncan Distortion pickup.

During the supporting tour and next album/tour, I think Lynch was using the SLO more, but not much on the WS album.

That's going down a rabbit hole... Superleads goosed with TS-9 or sometimes SD-1 or OD-1. He messed with everything and I'd question whether he even knows. Some of the pictures around that time I have seen of his gear, it looks like a 12 year old boy's room. Shit everywhere. They layered those guitars with a SLO though. (supposedly) Usually Fek knows this stuff so if it is hazy for even him then we really don't know. You also have to consider speakers used. But there was definitely blending and double or triple tracking to get those huge sounds. The second Lynch Mob album was more straight forward with a bit darker tone and on that one it is apparently Superlead or Marshall either just on variac or slightly pushed again by a TS or SD-1. His speaker cabs, take your pic but you can get them on two notes so that should give you an idea.

More importantly, we don't say " Lynch Mob" anymore..it isn't politically correct. Please refer to it as the George Lynch Experience from here on out or the "Great George L revival" . :p

Wicked Sensation album was recorded with primarily a modded plexi (likely the Aspen Pittman 'Purple Plexi'), but the SLO was apparently not used all that much according to many sources. Greenback cab, Duncan Distortion pickup.

During the supporting tour and next album/tour, I think Lynch was using the SLO more, but not much on the WS album.

I think the pickup was a duncan custom and the guitar was a PRS...

I think the pickup was a duncan custom and the guitar was a PRS...
He didn't use PRS until the WS tour, but not on the album. Definitely had a Distortion during that era, same as the Dokken days. Both of his 'instructional videos' he had during the WS era, you can see in one vid the amp setup and pickup in the guitar, and the other vid he talks about his Kami setup and the custom wound Distortion. He doesn't explicitly say that's what he was recording the WS album with, but it's more or less eluding to it.

Having said that, I have a meager bare bones rig at home to try and get those rhythm tones with a single amp/guitar setup. Modded 2204, SLO modded Jet City 100H, Blackback/EVH loaded Marshall 4x12, and a Duncan "The Hunter" pickup in the bridge of an alder bodied LTD Kamikaze from 20 years ago. It does the job decently well for being one amp/one guitar.

(Don't laugh too hard...)

Last edited:
Just reading an interview where he mentions his SLO, the sixth ever made, that he used on the WS album through an old HiWatt cab with Fanes. I can tell you that the intro riff on WS sounds spot on to an SLO. Too smooth for a Marshall imo.

Here's the cut out...

“My main rig is a combination of my Lynch Box [Randall signature head], a 100-watt head, with a couple of my modules: the Mr. Scary module and the Grail module – and I’m constantly working on that head. I’m doing different things – swapping out tubes, changing the bias, things like that. I’m constantly fiddling with my modules. That goes through a Lynch Box cabinet that I’ve got loaded with Super V speakers [modeled after the old Fane speakers he likes]. And then a lot of times I’ll either hook that up with my Soldano – which is the sixth Soldano ever made, it’s the one I used for the Wicked Sensation record – through an old HiWatt cabinet [with Fanes], and/or my ’68 [Marshall] Plexi through an old basketweave Marshall cabinet [a 4×12 presumably with 25-watt greenback Celestions].

He got the HiWatt cab long after WS. I think I read something about rescuing it from a flood or something? The quote you posted is sort of misleading I think, as he refers to the WS then to his current rig at the time in the same sentence. Sounds like that interview was probably around 2010.

Just reading an interview where he mentions his SLO, the sixth ever made, that he used on the WS album through an old HiWatt cab with Fanes. I can tell you that the intro riff on WS sounds spot on to an SLO. Too smooth for a Marshall imo.

I'd like to think it was an SLO (on the rhythms), but I don't have first hand experience with one so I don't have a leg to stand on. Best I can do is compare the gear I have and how close I think I can get to it with each amp - which in reality isn't even close.

I’ve had 3 SLOs and that intro riff to WS is easily an SLO imo. But, I’m sure he used a Marshall on the album as well.
One thing about George, you never know exactly what was used and where, as he went to the EVH school of BS lol. Plus he’s a huge gear whore like us.

One thing about George, you never know exactly what was used and where, as he went to the EVH school of BS lol. Plus he’s a huge gear whore like us.

True, but like most 80's dudes, Lynch was not shy of drugs. Pretty sure that's how he earned the Mr Scary nickname. Hell, when I saw Lynch Mob in 2010-2011 (or maybe it was a YT clip I watched?) I remember Oni asking George over the mic "hey, remember that time when we went out in the Arizona desert and dropped acid together?" :LOL:
I wonder if guitarists back then really tried to remember what they used, or can't remember because they were doped up.:dunno:
It's always a mystery, and wild that it's never as simple as a single rig lol

I’ve had 3 SLOs and that intro riff to WS is easily an SLO imo. But, I’m sure he used a Marshall on the album as well.

I believe George beats out Dave Mustaine for the signature gear that he never actually used whoring championship.

It’s no mystery. That whole first album album reeks of SLO. That’s the SLO sound. Same as the Scorpions Crazy World album. While thing IS the SLO sound. On WS, it’s mostly SLO rhythms, the old Pittman Marshall Super Lead on all the solos but one, which was the SLO. The ENGL was for clean tones. I remember reading all this circa ‘91-‘92.

It's an SLO, but they must have EQ'd out some of the top end since the tone is not nearly sharp like a regular SLO. I hear some bogner type tones on those LM albums as well.
I thought the same about Bogner being on that album, but I don't think they were even made then. However, could have been a Bogner modded Marshall. I think the Sacred Groove album he used an Ecstasy prototype for most of that one if I remember right.

I never really listened to them much before (other than the song Wicked Sensation). But man they are pretty killer. I prefer it to Dokken. Anyone know what Lynch was using then?
yeah I think WS pisses over anything Dokken did ... now the second LM album was dog shit imo (but I hate robert mason as a vocalist)

Back