Hetfield is "insecure" and needs hugs

I don’t know, people seem to be giving him a lot of crap for this. I will assume he holds himself to a high standard when stepping on stage. Now as he is aging, it is more difficult. He came out and shared that, I give him props for doing so. Honestly he has nothing left to prove, he’s been the frontman for the largest metal band in the world for 40+ years.

“Sharing” is way overrated and overdone in our culture now. That’s my opinion.
Sure hasn’t seemed to solve any of our underlying problems as a society?
Who wants to go be entertained at a “rock” concert and be hit in the face with an insecure front man? Terrible. Suck it up and give the crowd what they overpaid for and talk to whoever you need to later.

“Sharing” is way overrated and overdone in our culture now. That’s my opinion.
Sure hasn’t seemed to solve any of our underlying problems as a society?
Who wants to go be entertained at a “rock” concert and be hit in the face with an insecure front man? Terrible. Suck it up and give the crowd what they overpaid for and talk to whoever you need to later.
I actually think most people sees this as a special experience at the show. A thing to remember. A sign of being human.

These guys need to hire an expensive $40k/month psychotherapist, document the exchanges with film, subjugate the audience to it with a worldwide release and finally put out a less than inspired album that amounts to little more than primal scream therapy set to music. You know, like a normal band would do.

And all this time I thought playing and listening to heavy music was therapy in and of itself...

Oh that's right it hasn't been "heavy" from this band for over 30 fucking years. My bad

Greatest metal band?! My ass, according to who? People fucking magazine? Maybe one of the greatest up until 1991? After that give me a fucking break

Last edited:
he could have made it cool by coming out and saying something like "fuck im old.. im slowing down, everything hurts, didnt get much sleep cause i had to get up to piss six times, almost shit myself on our private jet over here... you think thats gonna stop us from kicking every one of your 60 thousand crazy fuckers ass tonight?!? FUCK NO!!!" the crowd would have went wild and he would get the reassurance he needs while still retaining his badass card

Not trying to pick on hetfeild or directed at him but can we cool it on the unsolicited public mental health updates. It’s become fashionable pick a mental ailment and base a personality around it. I’m all for talking through stuff but 90% of it comes off as attention seeking behavior.

hope you big talkin, internet hard ass, tr00 metal warriors never have to deal with severe addiction or extreme mental health issues with yourself or your family. Good luck, if you do.

there is no cure for depression. all the see-saw like remedies are just that. If you think money or success, even at his level is going to cure ANY of that shit, you're fucking dreaming. if only it were that easy.

hope you big talkin, internet hard ass, tr00 metal warriors never have to deal with severe addiction or extreme mental health issues with yourself or your family. Good luck, if you do.

there is no cure for depression. all the see-saw like remedies are just that. If you think money or success, even at his level is going to cure ANY of that shit, you're fucking dreaming. if only it were that easy.
Who is sayin we aren’t dealing with our own issues??
I am, but I don’t get on here, or any public forum, let alone a gig and put it out for consumption among the masses.
True metal warriors? Internet bad asses ???? ……because we don’t agree with putting this out to the public? OK then….
Eat some meat man.

Deal with it every day. Doesn't make me wanna play with lady goo gone and hannah fuckin montana.

Sorry Not Fuckin sorry

The Snuggle Within

D2F9A53C-0AE3-4401-8CD6-43A0E8976CE8.jpeg

I generally don't make real comments on these types of things because I genuinely don't give a crap about it, but after reading all the posts thus far I have a few comments to add...

It takes a lot to admit your insecurities, but I don't think that is the basis for the flack. I'm sure Hetfield puts a good bit of self imposed pressure on his shoulders, but that's what it is SELF IMPOSED. The other thing is that he's insecure about getting old and not being able to do what he's done best as well as he used to. Well guess what, damn near every person on the planet has to come to terms with that at some point in their life. I'm sure a number of people who love what they do for a living have to come to terms with this when they start approaching retirement. And then it's something as trivial as not playing guitar as well. And his livelihood isn't truly tethered to that. It's hard to empathize with it. It's not like he's been doing life saving brain surgery for the past 40 years and now he can't hold the scalpel steady enough. Or he has arthritis crippling his hands, but if he misses a gig his family is going to be out on the street. I think that WOULD deserve support all the way around. You can't play as well as you used to and it really doesn't affect that much in your life, get over it and adapt.

If it was a public nod to his bandmates thanking them for helping him adapt with playing guitar as he ages, that's one thing. It would be a nice band moment he decided to share publicly with the fans. Maybe not intended, but this came off as a boo-hoo pity party and wanting a feel good hug from the mass public. It boiled down to Hetfield saying hey guys I'm getting old and it sucks, please feel sorry for me. Again, it's hard to have any empathy for that.

And for fucks sake The Rolling Stone are damn near old as dirt itself and still going at it. You don't hear Keith Richards begging for sympathy because he's past his prime. He could have been bitching about that back in 1983 when Metallica was just getting started.

Back