Deciding on my only Boutique Amp

Splawn are killer amps, but they need some volume to breath properly.

Another suggestion is the PT15IR.

I love both my Splawn and PT15IR. Killer amps for different types of gigs.

Try the Splawn for sure. They are great amps.
Then go back and play the Bogner again.
If it still makes you smile then you found "your amp".
The Splawn caught my interest as it’s rare to find in U.K. and is well priced , unfortunately being a 7 hour drive from Glasgow to Southern England means I won’t get to try in person 😩, hence the request for opinions 👍

Try the Splawn for sure. They are great amps.
Then go back and play the Bogner again.
If it still makes you smile then you found "your amp".
This. It’s up to your ear as to the winner. I’m lukewarm on Splawns as I liked the QR but didn’t care for the Nitro. Kinda flat n sterile to me.
But you may disagree…and that is your prerogative.

The Splawn caught my interest as it’s rare to find in U.K. and is well priced , unfortunately being a 7 hour drive from Glasgow to Southern England means I won’t get to try in person 😩, hence the request for opinions 👍
Living in the UK, have you tried any of the Dover amps? I have heard some really good things, but never actually had a chance to play one (or seen one in person here in the US)

Living in the UK, have you tried any of the Dover amps? I have heard some really good things, but never actually had a chance to play one (or seen one in person here in the US)
Dover still pretty rare in U.K. too at the moment , being made under sub contract by Victory Amps as far as I know .

Friedman BE100 DLX. End of story. Does everything you mentioned exceptionally well. From crystal cleans to slight overdriven, AcDc, Zeppelin, to 80's metal to brootals. Want more modern, ad a gnarly boost and your set for life.

Love mine very much.

Splawn’s are definitely something to try before you buy and honestly if you have flexibility budget-wise I wouldn’t bother. Some love them, some hate them. I was gonna describe thoroughly what I felt about them sound & feel wise from all the AB comparisons I’d done in the past with them vs other amps, but I’ll just be diplomatic (gotta control the New Yorker in me lol) and just say they’re not my cup of tea at all

If I were in your shoes I would go for either a good vintage Marshall (either with a good boost pedal or mod) or a Naylor, but neither is easy to come by. Other good ones I’d say Wizard’s, Bogner Helios, or SLO. If you follow the pattern of some other guys here (myself included) wizards tend to often send other amps packing (you can see others selling their friedmans, SLO30 among others). IMO the Friedman Deluxe or XTC are one of those amps that are very versatile and can do lots of tones 7-8/10 good, but not really to me get tones that are truly in the exceptional/as good as it gets category. Those kinda amps bore me, but that's just me. My 2 cents

Last edited:
Congrats on your retirement. Here is my .02 ....After all the boutique amps I have had over the past 30 years, I have to say nothing beats a good Marshall. I just picked up a couple stock JCM 800 2204 and they absolutely kill. Otherwise, SLO, Helios or full sized XTC ( SLO 30 blows the 3534 away... no contest ). Wizards sound good too but they are a little less lively and organic sounding from my experience.

Congrats on your retirement. Here is my .02 ....After all the boutique amps I have had over the past 30 years, I have to say nothing beats a good Marshall. I just picked up a couple stock JCM 800 2204 and they absolutely kill. Otherwise, SLO, Helios or full sized XTC ( SLO 30 blows the 3534 away... no contest ). Wizards sound good too but they are a little less lively and organic sounding from my experience.
Agreed over 40 years later and still such surprisingly hard amps to rival. I went through so many expensive boutique amps just to later realize they all sounded worse when compared to those Marshall’s

Agreed over 40 years later and still such surprisingly hard amps to rival. I went through so many expensive boutique amps just to later realize they all sounded worse when compared to those Marshall’s
I'll second the Helios. Over a good Marshall too.

I'll second the Helios. Over a good Marshall too.
Helios is really good amp, especially for a non-vintage amp, but I wouldn’t take it over a good old Marshall unless volume is a constraint. It does do obviously way better at lower to medium volumes. As much as I liked the Helios I had I sold it because I had some Cameron modded Marshall’s at the time that just imo were better in AB comparisons. I actually liked though my Helios a little more than the Gower’s I had at the time. I think the Helios & Telos had the best quality tone of all the Bogner’s I’ve tried. Maybe since they’re the only PTP ones. Definitely way more raw and organic. Not polished or dark like they’re other stuff. Wish they made all their amps like those 2

Last edited:
Lots of great choices out there these days, but I have to agree…if only I’d have bought a totally stock early 70s SL earlier, I’d have saved a metric ton o cash. Amazes me every time I plug in.
OP, since you’re across the pond I’d try and source a 2203/4, AND a stock NMV Marshall. With what you’ll pay for the boutiques you are considering, I’ll bet you could buy 2 vintage Marshalls since they seem to be much cheaper there.

Lots of great choices out there these days, but I have to agree…if only I’d have bought a totally stock early 70s SL earlier, I’d have saved a metric ton o cash. Amazes me every time I plug in.
OP, since you’re across the pond I’d try and source a 2203/4, AND a stock NMV Marshall. With what you’ll pay for the boutiques you are considering, I’ll bet you could buy 2 vintage Marshalls since they seem to be much cheaper there.
Yes we kinda both learned the hard way about that. You know I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I can’t disagree more with this thing so many guys say about “lots of great choices these days”. Really of the countless boutique amps I’ve gone through and compared to vintage amps, I really gotta say in reality for me I’d say “lots of meh, overrated choices these days, but if you dig deep enough you can find a few here and there that are the real deal like Alessandro, Gjika, Schroeder, Naylor and a few others”. I used to when I was younger for whatever reason just assume that the latest and “greatest” boutique amps must make all the vintage amps obsolete, so didn’t even bother considering them for a while sadly, but I learned later on, just would’ve saved a lot of time and money if I figured it out sooner

Last edited:
Yes we kinda both learned the hard way about that. You know I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I can’t disagree more with this thing so many guys say about “lots of great choices these days”. Really of the countless boutique amps I’ve gone through and compared to vintage amps, I really gotta say in reality for me I’d say “lots of meh, overrated choices these days, but if you dig deep enough you can find a few here and there that are the real deal like Alessandro, Gjika, Schroeder, Naylor and a few others”. I used to when I was younger for whatever reason just assume that the latest and “greatest” boutique amps must make all the vintage amps obsolete, so didn’t even bother considering them for a while sadly, but I learned later on, just would’ve saved a lot of time and money if I figured it out sooner
Honestly, a vintage blackface or drip edge Bassman, for 1k and a boost or two in front will put many boutiques to shame. And that price is 1/3 the cost of a cheaper boutique.
Lol

Honestly, a vintage blackface or drip edge Bassman, for 1k and a boost or two in front will put many boutiques to shame. And that price is 1/3 the cost of a cheaper boutique.
Lol
There are a lot of vintage sleepers. Those old Sovtek’s MIG’s with a boost are a hell of an amp for the price imo (got mine for $400 back in 2014). A good vintage Gibson or Gretsch amp boosted I like even more than many of the Blackface’s boosted. Those old Ampeg’s, particularly the Gemini II was one the top 10 best clean to light breakup amps I’ve had (paid $380 for the one I had). Super warm sound. My Vibroverb has the best cleans imo of the blackfaces, but sadly not great besides cleans

I would much rather things be like it was with the vintage stuff where there were fewer choices, but better. Now we have all this overhyped stuff like Two Rock, Dividied By 13, Morgan, Tone King, Carr, etc. Basically just neutering the sound of the amps they were going for with “modern conveniences”

There are a lot of vintage sleepers. Those old Sovtek’s MIG’s with a boost are a hell of an amp for the price imo (got mine for $400 back in 2014). A good vintage Gibson or Gretsch amp boosted I like even more than many of the Blackface’s boosted. Those old Ampeg’s, particularly the Gemini II was one the top 10 best clean to light breakup amps I’ve had (paid $380 for the one I had). Super warm sound. My Vibroverb has the best cleans imo of the blackfaces, but sadly not great besides cleans

I would much rather things be like it was with the vintage stuff where there were fewer choices, but better. Now we have all this overhyped stuff like Two Rock, Dividied By 13, Morgan, Tone King, Carr, etc. Basically just neutering the sound of the amps they were going for with “modern conveniences”
Those old low wattage 50s/early 60s amps, talk about a tone where the amp sounds like it’s gonna blow….gotta be the inspiration or partly of the Trainwreck amps.
Killer

Those old low wattage 50s/early 60s amps, talk about a tone where the amp sounds like it’s gonna blow….gotta be the inspiration or partly of the Trainwreck amps.
Killer
They don’t all have that “about to blow” sound imo. The tweeds to me are definitely that sound (I always described like they sound broken in a good way), but some of the Gibson’s and especially that 5w Gretsch combo I’ve been borrowing stay pretty tight and clear even dimed. In fact when I boost the Gretsch (maybe back off the volume just a little) it’s plenty tight, clear and mean (just not big sounding). I can feel very satisfied even using it for what most guys on here are into. In some ways it’s the most nasty amp in my house currently

Last edited:
Back