Deciding on my only Boutique Amp

Smokiejohn

Hello ,
Long time viewer , very occasional poster. Looking for some opinions or suggestions. I’m retiring from Fire Service at the end of the month after 25 years and going to finally treat myself to a quality amp and annoy everybody lol .
I’m not one for loads of options or too many pedals , basically plug in and play kinda guy.
Style is everything from heavy aggressive blues ie Rory Gallagher up to The Smashing Pumpkins.
So far I’m liking Divided by 13 AMW 39 head or Bogner Ecstasy 3534 head .
It’s gotta be made in company’s own factory and built like a tank . Appreciate any feedback .

Thanks , J

It’s not my genre so I can’t make any recommendations beyond the fact Bogner makes very complex amps that do have issues. My Ecstasy 101B has its issues as with any complex switcher.

I suggest something no frills and possibly PTP if you want dead nuts reliable.

Congrats on retirement!

It’s not my genre so I can’t make any recommendations beyond the fact Bogner makes very complex amps that do have issues. My Ecstasy 101B has its issues as with any complex switcher.

I suggest something no frills and possibly PTP if you want dead nuts reliable.

Congrats on retirement!
Thanks for the suggestion , appreciated 👍

Thanks for your service as I can only imagine how thankless that job can be at times. I'm going to recommend a Mesa Rectifier of some sort. Maybe not boutique but built like a tank and feel they have very nice cleans and certainly 'pushed' cleans and obviously can bring the brootalz for your Pumpkins. Very versatile.

Friedman Runt 50. Great cleans, slightly more gain than a JCM 800.

Another would be their Smallbox. Plexi channel would suit your aggressive blues, and the added Vintage flavor BE channel would cover Smashing Pumpkins.

Thanks for your service as I can only imagine how thankless that job can be at times. I'm going to recommend a Mesa Rectifier of some sort. Maybe not boutique but built like a tank and feel they have very nice cleans and certainly 'pushed' cleans and obviously can bring the brootalz for your Pumpkins. Very versatile.
Hi , appreciate the thanks … on the whole it’s been a great job , but at 51 and hopefully still in good health it’s time for a new chapter .
Mesa Rectifier ? ….. completely overlooked them tbh … I’ll go check one out , cheers 👍

Friedman Runt 50. Great cleans, slightly more gain than a JCM 800.

Another would be their Smallbox. Plexi channel would suit your aggressive blues, and the added Vintage flavor BE channel would cover Smashing Pumpkins.
Thanks mate , another added to the list to check out 👍

I would steer clear of anything Divided by 13....despite your epic service to the community as a fire fighter you will not be deemed worthy to own one by the owner of that company. Webster’s dictionary has a photo of him next to their definition of Douchebag. That’s all I got other than that I really liked my Bogner 3534 and most all of the other Bogs I’ve owned, and I really like my Soldano SLO 30, but I really really like my Wizard MC25. Note that all three are small format / footprint amps, sub 50 watts of power, and all three operate beautifully plugged straight in, no pedals needed.

Wizard Modern Classic. Pick your wattage. Modern Classic series has a very big, growly distortion character so it’d be good for aggressive blues to Pumpkins style overdrive with a lot of hair on it. Extremely dynamic amps so you can get tons of tonal variety by rolling off the guitar volume pot.

I would steer clear of anything Divided by 13....despite your epic service to the community as a fire fighter you will not be deemed worthy to own one by the owner of that company. Webster’s dictionary has a photo of him next to their definition of Douchebag. That’s all I got other than that I really liked my Bogner 3534 and most all of the other Bogs I’ve owned, and I really like my Soldano SLO 30, but I really really like my Wizard MC25. Note that all three are small format / footprint amps, sub 50 watts of power, and all three operate beautifully plugged straight in, no pedals needed.
Thanks for the heads up regarding Divided by 13 ….. that’s disappointing to hear.
Appreciate the Wizard recommendation 👍

Wizard Modern Classic. Pick your wattage. Modern Classic series has a very big, growly distortion character so it’d be good for aggressive blues to Pumpkins style overdrive with a lot of hair on it. Extremely dynamic amps so you can get tons of tonal variety by rolling off the guitar volume pot.
Thanks for feedback , sounds ideal 👍

Demo what your able to is the best advice. The Friedman smalbox are killer but the volume hits you fast and will get old quick. Not sure about the Runt MV. The new Slo 30's have a better sweep and come on smoother.
they can cover pretty much everything!
A Bogner helios will cover a lot of ground too and has a great MV, the 50 w is a good choice to give you a big rock tone!

Congratulations on your retirement!

Are you looking to buy off the shelf or do you want something made to order?

If you want off the shelf:
  • Mesa Mark or Recto - Couldn't go wrong with either of these. They are different beasts so you'd have to play them to find out which one you bond with better
  • Soldano SLO - not 100%, but a SLO could be comparative to a boutique 5150
  • Freidman BE100 - Modified Marshall type amp. They sound great and very few are displeased with them
  • Maybe something from Diezel? - Great German made amps, but they might not be what you're looking for as they're mostly known as high gain monsters

If you want to go made to order look at:
  • KSR Orthos or Ares - Kyle is a great stand-up guy & his amps are top notch. I have a Gemini which I have been loving since it came in. Covers lots of tones & has a shit ton of options. The Orthos is the stripped down version of a Gemini and Ares is a 1 channel version of the Orthos.
  • Peters Formula 7 - I have a pro dual channels which is still offered and is the older version of a Formula 7. James Peters is located in Canada if that makes a difference? Cool thing about these is you get a choice of channels. So while it's straight forward controls, with being able to pick the channels you want it's somewhat one-off customized too. And James would probably make tweaks or stick in an older channel model if that's what you wanted.
  • Anything from Morris - Glen mainly builds his take on several different Marshall type amps from a 15 watt class A to a high gain monster. Getting an XS-III or Sirrom is in my future. With Morris it's mainly a matter of pick your flavor.
  • Anything from Splawn - I haven't personally worked with him but from what I hear Scott is probably the best dude you'll ever work with. His amps are mostly modified Marshall types and everything I've heard from them sounds excellent. The Quickrod is always a popular choice.
  • Wizard - Wizard has its die hard followings and you'll probably get several recommendations for them. BUT they are extremely pricey, like past 5K pricey. You can sometimes find them on the used market at a better price and it's usually someone selling to fund another Wizard purchase. Most everyone that has played them will say nothing else can stack up to a Wizard & they're worth every penny.

I have to give a mention of Jeremy (RedPlated) of GroundZero and Shea (Monomyth) of MonoMyth amps. They're well known members here (and elsewhere) who have been modding amps for a while and have recently created they're own designs. But both currently have a waitlist so it would take a bit before they'd get through that.

Since this is a nice retirement gift to yourself I suggest leaning toward a made to order amp. In most cases you're able to talk directly with the builder/owner and they're happy to answer questions, go over everything and walk you through the build process. Not to say off the shelf is bad; it isn't, but there's just something that makes it feel more special when you get to talk to the builder and order directly from them. Plus support to the small shop builders.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Are you looking to buy off the shelf or do you want something made to order?

If you want off the shelf:
  • Mesa Mark or Recto - Couldn't go wrong with either of these. They are different beasts so you'd have to play them to find out which one you bond with better
  • Soldano SLO - not 100%, but a SLO could be comparative to a boutique 5150
  • Freidman BE100 - Modified Marshall type amp. They sound great and very few are displeased with them
  • Maybe something from Diezel? - Great German made amps, but they might not be what you're looking for as they're mostly known as high gain monsters

If you want to go made to order look at:
  • KSR Orthos or Ares - Kyle is a great stand-up guy & his amps are top notch. I have a Gemini which I have been loving since it came in. Covers lots of tones & has a shit ton of options. The Orthos is the stripped down version of a Gemini and Ares is a 1 channel version of the Orthos.
  • Peters Formula 7 - I have a pro dual channels which is still offered and is the older version of a Formula 7. James Peters is located in Canada if that makes a difference? Cool thing about these is you get a choice of channels. So while it's straight forward controls, with being able to pick the channels you want it's somewhat one-off customized too. And James would probably make tweaks or stick in an older channel model if that's what you wanted.
  • Anything from Morris - Glen mainly builds his take on several different Marshall type amps from a 15 watt class A to a high gain monster. Getting an XS-III or Sirrom is in my future. With Morris it's mainly a matter of pick your flavor.
  • Anything from Splawn - I haven't personally worked with him but from what I hear Scott is probably the best dude you'll ever work with. His amps are mostly modified Marshall types and everything I've heard from them sounds excellent. The Quickrod is always a popular choice.
  • Wizard - Wizard has its die hard followings and you'll probably get several recommendations for them. BUT they are extremely pricey, like past 5K pricey. You can sometimes find them on the used market at a better price and it's usually someone selling to fund another Wizard purchase. Most everyone that has played them will say nothing else can stack up to a Wizard & they're worth every penny.

I have to give a mention of Jeremy (RedPlated) of GroundZero and Shea (Monomyth) of MonoMyth amps. They're well known members here (and elsewhere) who have been modding amps for a while and have recently created they're own designs. But both currently have a waitlist so it would take a bit before they'd get through that.

Since this is a nice retirement gift to yourself I suggest leaning toward a made to order amp. In most cases you're able to talk directly with the builder/owner and they're happy to answer questions, go over everything and walk you through the build process. Not to say off the shelf is bad; it isn't, but there's just something that makes it feel more special when you get to talk to the builder and order directly from them. Plus support to the small shop builders.
The Hermansson experience is the best . Super enjoyable process . So good

Demo what your able to is the best advice. The Friedman smalbox are killer but the volume hits you fast and will get old quick. Not sure about the Runt MV. The new Slo 30's have a better sweep and come on smoother.
they can cover pretty much everything!
A Bogner helios will cover a lot of ground too and has a great MV, the 50 w is a good choice to give you a big rock tone!
+1 on the Helios. Had the 50 watter, killer amp!
Budda Superdrive?
Marshall Jubilee?
Gary Moore did just fine with a DSL.
Rivera?

Last edited:
Back