Deciding on my only Boutique Amp

Congrats on your retirement. Here is my .02 ....After all the boutique amps I have had over the past 30 years, I have to say nothing beats a good Marshall. I just picked up a couple stock JCM 800 2204 and they absolutely kill. Otherwise, SLO, Helios or full sized XTC ( SLO 30 blows the 3534 away... no contest ). Wizards sound good too but they are a little less lively and organic sounding from my experience.
Thanks , yeah … still keeping eye open for a good vintage Marshall 👍

Helios is really good amp, especially for a non-vintage amp, but I wouldn’t take it over a good old Marshall unless volume is a constraint. It does do obviously way better at lower to medium volumes. As much as I liked the Helios I had I sold it because I had some Cameron modded Marshall’s at the time that just imo were better in AB comparisons. I actually liked though my Helios a little more than the Gower’s I had at the time. I think the Helios & Telos had the best quality tone of all the Bogner’s I’ve tried. Maybe since they’re the only PTP ones. Definitely way more raw and organic. Not polished or dark like they’re other stuff. Wish they made all their amps like those 2
My experience as well. But, I had a Splawn Competition, and a DSL50 at the same time as the Helios and felt the Splawn was "close enough" that I didn't need a $2600 amp too, (paid $1000 for the Competition). However, the Helios did the high gain Plexi thing better. It had a nice chunk to it I really loved, and the master volume had an excellent taper. Does indeed sound damn good at lower volumes.

Congrats on your retirement. Here is my .02 ....After all the boutique amps I have had over the past 30 years, I have to say nothing beats a good Marshall. I just picked up a couple stock JCM 800 2204 and they absolutely kill. Otherwise, SLO, Helios or full sized XTC ( SLO 30 blows the 3534 away... no contest ). Wizards sound good too but they are a little less lively and organic sounding from my experience.
I thought I was the only one that didn't find Wizards that inspiring. To me, they don't sound very complex for an amp in it's price range. It's a simple kinda tone to me, and great for AC/DC if that's your thing, lots of dynamics if that's your thing, clear, but complex...?? Nope.

Last edited:
What the Friedman's do very well is sound excellent at very high volumes. There's no icepick, there's no harshness, just a nice big chunky warm tone, whereas a stock Marshall might be a bit bright, harsh and hard to control at very loud volumes. I think a lot of you guys judge your amps at low to moderate volumes when you should be judging them at band volumes.

This is the difference I find with the Mesa Mark III's vs the IIC+ and IV. The III's tend to sound harsh at band volumes when you dial in the right amount of high end, while the IIC+ is like the blanket has been lifted off and there is no harshness or icepick to be found, just a great balanced, clear tone. Same thing with the IV's, they sound almost as good as the IIC+ at high volumes, and there's no harshness in those amps at all.

What the Friedman's do very well is sound excellent at very high volumes. There's no icepick, there's no harshness, just a nice big chunky warm tone, whereas a stock Marshall might be a bit bright, harsh and hard to control at very loud volumes. I think a lot of you guys judge your amps at low to moderate volumes when you should be judging them at band volumes.
I think the Friedmans sound good at all volumes but the JMP, 800, and Jube all really do best REALLY loud. I find the higher gain circuits like the Friedman get harder to control and noisier when loud while an 800 is idling quietly but crushing skulls. Not slagging on the Friedmans, they sound great but are so much more compressed sounding while the Marshall just holds together. At lower volumes, the Marshall tends to sound thin and harsh and this is where I think Friedmans and such have the edge. They are warm, elastic and refined sounding at all volumes but once cranked up loud I will take a stock early 800.

I don’t find vintage Marshalls harsh at any volume; and when we’re talking about my 72 it really only does it’s thing at ear bleed Volumes. Every amp I own, I always judge it’s tone at high volumes. That’s when all my fav amps excel. Lower volumes, my 88 2205 does fantastic. Friedmans and Bogners also have nice master volumes. But don’t quite get what my 72 can do.

Smokiejohn, can you turn up the amp loud at your space? Thats also an important question you shall answer, cause some amps come alive when you turn up.
Another thing is, that touch sensitivity and pure tone is better with single channel ptp amps like a jcm800 or plexi.
I would check a new Single Channel Germino, Rockitt Retro, Ceriatone or Gladius, http://www.proguitar.de/gladius-read-me.html

Last edited:
Smokiejohn, can you turn up the amp loud at your space? Thats also an important question you shall answer, cause some amps come alive when you turn up.
Another thing is, that touch sensitivity and pure tone is better with single channel ptp amps like a jcm800 or plexi.
I would check a new Single Channel Germino, Rockitt Retro, Ceriatone or Gladius, http://www.proguitar.de/gladius-read-me.html

Yeah … I’m good to turn things up , thanks for the suggestions too 👍

Just to say , after a lot of tyre kicking and researching I finally picked up a used Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 ( Series 1 ) for a ridiculous price (£625 approximately $750) .
Not the most boutique or flavour of the month I guess , but damm ….it sounds bloody good after initial tinkering . I’ll get to unleash it fully over weekend .

It was shipped from Mesa Boogie for export in September 1999 ( great customer support from Mesa Boogie by the way who happily confirmed serial no. )

Thanks again folks 👍🎸

7049A85E-7723-49AF-B28F-E92F78504793.jpeg
B253DF1A-9274-47E4-A73E-9E08AF1B03C5.jpeg

Hello ,
Long time viewer , very occasional poster. Looking for some opinions or suggestions. I’m retiring from Fire Service at the end of the month after 25 years and going to finally treat myself to a quality amp and annoy everybody lol .
I’m not one for loads of options or too many pedals , basically plug in and play kinda guy.
Style is everything from heavy aggressive blues ie Rory Gallagher up to The Smashing Pumpkins.
So far I’m liking Divided by 13 AMW 39 head or Bogner Ecstasy 3534 head .
It’s gotta be made in company’s own factory and built like a tank . Appreciate any feedback .

Thanks , J
If you haven’t picked already, try out BC Audio. High quality amps with unique tone and awesome customer support.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Divided by 13 ….. that’s disappointing to hear.
Appreciate the Wizard recommendation 👍

Divided by 13 makes some great sounding amps that are not complex channel changers. Although the Bogner 3534 sounds great, many good tones in that. I don’t know anything about divided by 13 except they sound epic. At least the ones I have played have. I thought Peter Stroud was one of the owners?

Just to say , after a lot of tyre kicking and researching I finally picked up a used Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 ( Series 1 ) for a ridiculous price (£625 approximately $750) .
Not the most boutique or flavour of the month I guess , but damm ….it sounds bloody good after initial tinkering . I’ll get to unleash it fully over weekend .

It was shipped from Mesa Boogie for export in September 1999 ( great customer support from Mesa Boogie by the way who happily confirmed serial no. )

Thanks again folks 👍🎸

View attachment 126253View attachment 126250

Congrats man! Hella Amp :cheers:

Not sure that I mentioned it here but I have a Series II (updated loop) Single Rec Rectoverb (reverb tank removed) - so pretty close to what you have. Brutal amp with very capable mid gain and cleans. Mess with the Loop Mix knob with and without loop pedals.

Have fun :yes:

Congrats man! Hella Amp :cheers:

Not sure that I mentioned it here but I have a Series II (updated loop) Single Rec Rectoverb (reverb tank removed) - so pretty close to what you have. Brutal amp with very capable mid gain and cleans. Mess with the Loop Mix knob with and without loop pedals.

Have fun :yes:
Thanks man , I’m looking forward to many hours of deafening fun .

Decided in the end my skill level couldn’t justify anything more expensive.

Leaves the option of jumping down the modding rabbit hole in the future if at all needed .

Cheers , J🥃🎸

I don’t know anything about divided by 13 except they sound epic. At least the ones I have played have. I thought Peter Stroud was one of the owners?
No, and no. Many D13 models have a ghost note / trailing fart note that will not disappear. Owner Fred is a complete douchebag asshat. Peter Stroud was involved with 65 AMPS.

OP - congrats on your new amp!

No, and no. Many D13 models have a ghost note / trailing fart note that will not disappear. Owner Fred is a complete douchebag asshat. Peter Stroud was involved with 65 AMPS.

The last one I played didn’t have ghost notes, or anything remotely like fart sounds. It sounded great, and the cleans were amazing.

That’s right, 65 amps is Stroud. Good memory.

Yes many of them get that quality when turned up loud enough. I felt despite the ghosting, they sounded good imo, but not exceptional. Better amps out there

Back