Selling the best amp / guitar / pedal you’ve ever played!

Me when I sold my Deliverance 60 after using it as my main amp for 12+ years

Dumbest gear-related thing I've ever done :aww:
Mine would be selling my late 80's ESP Horizon Custom reverse headstock. Best playing guitar I've ever owned. Right there with my beat to crap Les Paul Standard for best sounding guitar I've owned.

To this day I kick myself in the ass for selling it. At that time I convinced myself it was a crutch and that I needed to move to a more at that time hip/not a shred looking guitar i.e. Les Paul. Pure caving is all that was by trying to keep up with the times. And not only did I sell that one, I sold another ESP Horizon Custom and and ESP Mirage. Both those were great guitars but that one ESP, damn near played itself and the funniest thing of all is it was a factory second where the binding had yellowed prematurely. 48th Street Custom guitars had it packed up to go back to Japan, bought site unseen and that was that. Incredible guitar.

Pure stupidity.

That said if I have something now that I am completely attached too, it ain't going anywhere. Learned my lesson but oddly enough I am fixing to clean house on some items that just simply don't get played. I basically alternate between 3 guitars out of my 9 and I'm just kinda tired of having them sit there and not be played. But those three, no way I'm selling those.

Btw/ second on my great regrets would be letting go of my 5150 Block. Main amp for about 15 years even though I went through a ton of stuff back in the day always thinking I'd find something better.

Same thing happens all the time with Super Models - (sometimes +/- cash) Exciting times!
I actually did this. Lol.. Dumped Miss Oregon in the middle of a vacation when I found out that was in 1969 :oops:. Sorry babe, your not a vintage 4 holer... take me to the airport.

Last edited:
The 2000’s SLO I’ve tried and owned were imo nice amps but not amazing amps. The ‘89 one is imo much better, but it’s not really a metal amp. The heaviest I’d use it for would be maybe the 2nd Metallica album max. If you want a real metal amp or clean amp it’ll be disappointing, but for almost any style of rock it’s a killer amp imo and even for some blues or fusion also very good imo. The Avengers are more metal than the SLO for sure, but just imo not on the same level in tone quality and detail. I don’t think I’d like the Hermansson or Silenoz most likely but wanna try them to find out. You never know
Hermansson's stuff sounds great in the videos. And I would love to play one, but i can't imagine it being a better match for me. Larry I am a bit more open minded to. Need to try both, though for sure.

Hermansson's stuff sounds great in the videos. And I would love to play one, but i can't imagine it being a better match for me. Larry I am a bit more open minded to. Need to try both, though for sure.
In the videos they seem very tight and fast which I like, but always comes off to me very compressed, not full frequency, hollow, somewhat brittle, but I try not to read too much into just clips. I very well may love it in person

80's Carvin V and my Mark III.

If y'all see either of those listed for sale, please send someone to check on me. Everything else I have can be replaced.

I'm not naming names but there are a few amp brands out there that constantly come up for sale, and people saying they are so great. I understand GAS and the neverending hunt some people have but if they are so great, why do so few keep them?
They come to their senses.

Not knowing what you want is the surest way to dwell in perpetual GAS land. Knowing exactly the tone you want narrows the field down really quick.
Sadly, and what the player can actually do with his playing.
Many amps are the wrong fit, right outta’ the cannon,
“tone factoids” provide plenty of lube
for the noobs..they’re “onto the next one”,
& now so is that one dude offing’ the amp to that other dude who pump & dumped his own mother..etc.?
Those pukes.

I buy and sell a lot of gear. I also tend to keep what I love, at least for the time being. For the most part it comes down to GAS and moving one piece out to bring another in. I don't feel the need in my situation to keep adding to the pile and having multiple amps and guitars at the same time. A couple amps and 5-6 guitars is usually enough for me. I do find it weird that some people just automatically assume when someone is selling gear, it's because they "need money" or whatever. In some cases it may be but it's also none of my business, nor do I care why people sell their own shit.

To be clear, I don't give AF why people are selling something. It's when it starts with "This is THE BEST (insert item) I've ever heard or played, or that you've EVER heard or played!" The sales hyperbole is weak

FYI - this thread is a moderate heckling of an ad currently in the classifieds, I'll let you find it.

Last edited:
"This is the best amp that I have ever played though"

Corrected: "I've found something that sounds much better, so I'll sell you this no longer wanted amp".

and the cycle begins.

We've all pretty much done it and will probably continue to do this as long as we are able to play.

Carry on and enjoy, all is normal and good!

"This is the best amp that I have ever played though"

Corrected: "I've found something that sounds much better, so I'll sell you this no longer wanted amp".

and the cycle begins.

We've all pretty much done it and will probably continue to do this as long as we are able to play.

Carry on and enjoy, all is normal and good!
100%. However, I've never put anything up for sale stating "This is THE BEST I've ever..." because if it was, it aint for sale.

Not everything exists along a solid line of plot points that go from worst to best. To use an analogy, she might be the hottest supermodel in the world but you’d probably have more fun with a girl less hot but more enthusiastic and willing to do weirder stuff. I can see why people flip gear. There are so many factors to consider. For every amp great at something, there’s another amp better at at least one other thing the previous amp attempted.

As for selling stuff online as an individual, there’s no reason to be a salesperson. If somebody is on Craigslist or Reverb looking for an amp, they don’t care what the seller thinks of the amp. They care about what condition it’s in. A seller saying “best amp I’ve ever heard” or “plays like buttah” or whatever are useless platitudes. However, more objective statements like “non-smoking environment” or “recently retubed/recapped” will really get a buyer’s attention.

Last edited:
100%. However, I've never put anything up for sale stating "This is THE BEST I've ever..." because if it was, it aint for sale.
+1

Great sounding and best ever arent the same thing. I’ll die with my 74 Marshall or my Laney GH100S. If either of those go up for sale, something is very wrong.

I did have to sell my all original 1971 1992 Superbass to @phil b to help pay for medical bills (along with a gofundme) of one of my, at the time, recently rescued and formally abused huskies. At the time it was the only thing of value I could sell for low dollar. Sometimes even the rarest go up for reasons out of the sellers control.

Aforementioned pet tax:

BB394596-D8F5-4807-9B06-BD9C556A8B41.jpeg

Right now, if I were to sell one of my Charvels it would be painful since I had 2 long ago that I should have kept; 20 or so later I’ve found another 2 that are fantastic. Thankfully they are as good as those previous 2. Only reason I’d sell my 72 is if I found another Superlead that sounded as good or better.
Regrets: no guitar regrets since I made up for the 2 I had. Amps? My first C+ SRG was possibly the best amp I’d ever heard, as a 2C. Yes, I regret upgrading it. Killer as a C+ but that amp was on another level as a C. A 1982 2204 that had a tube loop and slight gain boost. No idea the modder; it was 799 out of a California GC about 6 years ago. Sounded incredible with/without a boost in front. Ugh

They are called "keepers" because you keep them.
It's called a "collection" of gear because "being too lazy to sell stuff" doesn't do the "collection" the respect you "think" it deserves.
And "the best" is relative to the style/tone of each specific type of gear. Best Marshall/Boogie/Deizel or Tele/Paul/Pointy etc.
Quit judging me for hoarding all my favorite gear.
Judge me for my ridiculous obsession with hoarding liquor I will never drink.

Back