Selling the best amp / guitar / pedal you’ve ever played!

* velcro-fly *

It’s pretty sweet so many people are willing to sell the best thing they’ve ever played (or trade + cash) so that they can play worse gear and let somebody else experience the best gear. Same thing happens all the time with Super Models - trade em in for a dumpy lady (sometimes +/- cash) Exciting times!

I might have to put the best amp I ever had up for sale soon. I am hoping not, but i need to buy a damned truck. But I understand what you are saying. It is fine if you just sell an amp that is good or badass, but not for you. Or like some of the guys do it. They constantly buy new amps in a neverending quest to try every piece of gear that comes down the line.

I might have to put the best amp I ever had up for sale soon. I am hoping not, but i need to buy a damned truck. But I understand what you are saying. It is fine if you just sell an amp that is good or badass, but not for you. Or like some of the guys do it. They constantly buy new amps in a neverending quest to try every piece of gear that comes down the line.
Exactly. We all run into situations where we need money for critical other items or emergencies, but jeebus crispy the guys that start with “this is the BEST I’ve ever heard or played, or you’ve EVER heard” but I’ll trade it for ABC or sell it for X. Just F’ing stop already

Yeah. I don't think it gets anyone. I have had great amps that I have gotten sick of playing. And great amps that i didn't bond with. But yeah, some people feel such a pressure to be the best salesman. A lot of these amps sell themselves.

Yeah. I don't think it gets anyone. I have had great amps that I have gotten sick of playing. And great amps that i didn't bond with. But yeah, some people feel such a pressure to be the best salesman. A lot of these amps sell themselves.
I'm not naming names but there are a few amp brands out there that constantly come up for sale, and people saying they are so great. I understand GAS and the neverending hunt some people have but if they are so great, why do so few keep them?

I'm not naming names but there are a few amp brands out there that constantly come up for sale, and people saying they are so great. I understand GAS and the neverending hunt some people have but if they are so great, why do so few keep them?
Money, usually.

I own killer gear but If I don’t play it I sell it. Simple as that. Put the money in the bank or get something I will play.

You can have great sounding gear but if it doesn’t get the creative juices going then why keep it? That’s my opinion anyway.

The last reason is it’s none of my business.

this makes me think about all the amps I have had and moved from. kinda makes me want to do a @braintheory type list. Sam, you tell me if this is how you do your lists.

Amps that had a badass sound: XXX, Soldano Avenger, Diezel Vh2, Bogner Twin jet, Wizard W800
Amps that had a great build quality: Soldano Avenger, Wizard W800
Neither: EVh 5153, line 6 spyder

It’s pretty sweet so many people are willing to sell the best thing they’ve ever played (or trade + cash) so that they can play worse gear and let somebody else experience the best gear. Same thing happens all the time with Super Models - trade em in for a dumpy lady (sometimes +/- cash) Exciting times!

Hahahaha. I understand people run into situations and they need some cash. I’ve been there myself a few times.

I noticed in the guitar community that there is a particularly high number of selfless individuals. These guys said they desperately needed money or they wouldn’t even consider selling said guitar/amp. Yet, because of their selfless nature they would also consider trades. These guys are so selfless, that despite the fact they desperately need money, or else they will lose(insert important life acquisitions here) their car, or even THEIR HOME!! And despite this fact, they are willing to risk losing EVERYTHING and take a trade JUST SO YOU GET TO EXPERIENCE THIS IMMENSELY SPECIAL GEAR! This kind of generosity, and selfless nature resides in only a small number of humans, and thank god, the guitar community just happened to get most of these generous souls. Whoa.

Hashtag truly blessed

this makes me think about all the amps I have had and moved from. kinda makes me want to do a @braintheory type list. Sam, you tell me if this is how you do your lists

Braintheory has KILLER AMPS. I wish I had his killer collection. .

Amps that had a badass sound: XXX, Soldano Avenger, Diezel Vh2, Bogner Twin jet, Wizard W800

Well you know what they say... no matter how hot the girl is, there's some guy out there who's tired of banging her! lol

Personally, I'd never sell my "best thing ever" until I had a new "best thing ever."

this makes me think about all the amps I have had and moved from. kinda makes me want to do a @braintheory type list. Sam, you tell me if this is how you do your lists.

That’s not how I do it. I do though have a list of the amps I’ve had in the past (about 100 now), tried countless others, and of course what I have now (26 amps). Many of those amps were really good, but I keep gear that I feel is unmatched to me (of what I’ve tried) in what it does. There are many times where a certain amp may be the best I have for something and then later come across another amp that’s just better. When an amp becomes obsolete for me it then becomes a zero for my intents and purposes even if it was a 10/10 before I got the amp that sent it packing. To be honest, fwiw, the only amp you mentioned there that’s a good amp to me is that Wizard. If we were talking though blueface, Purpleface, Rev 1 Uber or ‘80’s SLO would be another story. Not trying to sound snobby or condescending, but that’s just my opinion

I try to also avoid hyperbole or extremes when describing gear whether it’s for sale or a NAD thread. If I say it’s the best or something extreme like that it just means it’s the best of what I’ve tried at the time and I mean it. The only high gain amps left for me to try right now are a Larry, Hermansson and MLC Silenoz, so I can be more confident if I praise gear more highly now

Money, usually.

I own killer gear but If I don’t play it I sell it. Simple as that. Put the money in the bank or get something I will play.

You can have great sounding gear but if it doesn’t get the creative juices going then why keep it? That’s my opinion anyway.

The last reason is it’s none of my business.

Why keep them? To become a ruthless gear hoarder so you can have more gear listed in your sig than anyone in the history of the internet! Myself, I hope to compete with the likes of rockin chippy one day. I’ve been trying to figure out how to trick Cameron via subterfuge into giving me my own signature amp. The MC360, it will feature 8 x KT88s and have 4 channels, the CCV channel, ccm channel and the clean as well as the Mooncobra channel that allows me to shoot lightning out f my guitar from the furious amounts of raw power pumping from the 8 KT88s.

That’s not how I do it. I do though have a list of the amps I’ve had in the past (about 100 now), tried countless others, and of course what I have now (26 amps). Many of those amps were really good, but I keep gear that I feel is unmatched to me (of what I’ve tried) in what it does. There are many times where a certain amp may be the best I have for something and then later come across another amp that’s just better. When an amp becomes obsolete for me it then becomes a zero for my intents and purposes even if it was a 10/10 before I got the amp that sent it packing. To be honest, fwiw, the only amp you mentioned there that’s a good amp to me is that Wizard. If we were talking though blueface, Purpleface, Rev 1 Uber or ‘80’s SLO would be another story. Not trying to sound snobby or condescending, but that’s just my opinion

I try to also avoid hyperbole or extremes when describing gear whether it’s for sale or a NAD thread. If I say it’s the best or something extreme like that it just means it’s the best of what I’ve tried at the time and I mean it. The only high gain amps left for me to try right now are a Larry, Hermansson and MLC Silenoz, so I can be more confident if I praise gear more highly now

VIVA LA BRAINTHEORY and his spectacular gear!!

Guitarists by nature will eventually sell what they consider the ultimate because guitarists have a lifelong disease called " I need to keep searching because there has got to be a better tone" even when there isn't .

No matter how amazing the tone you currently have is you can only play what you have for so long before you need something else . Countless guitarists have perished in the end because it's a fatal condition .

I love your opinions, snobbish or not. I disagree about the SLO. I didn't care for it, though i think it had a high build quality. The second avenger i had wasn't as special as my first either though that could have been that it was 50 watt. I didn't know a lot when i had the blue one, otherwise i would have seen what transformers those were. That amp was a very fun amp. I would like to try some of your amps. I am sure they would all make my list. I still haven't tried a Hermansson or Larry. Don't know about the slienoz. Will look into that.

Well you know what they say... no matter how hot the girl is, there's some guy out there who's tired of banging her! lol

Personally, I'd never sell my "best thing ever" until I had a new "best thing ever."

One mans trash is another mans treasure?

I love your opinions, snobbish or not. I disagree about the SLO. I didn't care for it, though i think it had a high build quality. The second avenger i had wasn't as special as my first either though that could have been that it was 50 watt. I didn't know a lot when i had the blue one, otherwise i would have seen what transformers those were. That amp was a very fun amp. I would like to try some of your amps. I am sure they would all make my list. I still haven't tried a Hermansson or Larry. Don't know about the slienoz. Will look into that.
The 2000’s SLO I’ve tried and owned were imo nice amps but not amazing amps. The ‘89 one is imo much better, but it’s not really a metal amp. The heaviest I’d use it for would be maybe the 2nd Metallica album max. If you want a real metal amp or clean amp it’ll be disappointing, but for almost any style of rock it’s a killer amp imo and even for some blues or fusion also very good imo. The Avengers are more metal than the SLO for sure, but just imo not on the same level in tone quality and detail. I don’t think I’d like the Hermansson or Silenoz most likely but wanna try them to find out. You never know

Back