The best 5150 ever made?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
Video sounds sick. I really need to get my hands on a 5150/6505 or something in that vain. I am missing out greatly.

I've heard they go from like nothing to get the cops called on the master pretty quickly, is that the same case on the newer ones?

I bought one as soon as they came out, so not the second version with the co-eccentric knobs. It's the only non-vintage type amp I own. It can do all things modern rock and do them well. Even the gain on the red channel is very usable. Mighty impressive.

Video sounds sick. I really need to get my hands on a 5150/6505 or something in that vain. I am missing out greatly.

I've heard they go from like nothing to get the cops called on the master pretty quickly, is that the same case on the newer ones?

The newer ones are less touchy, but still touchy. I have a 100w Stealth and 100w EL34 and the 100w EL34 does go from nothing to blow your head off if you blink at it funny, but the 100w Stealth's volume is a bit more forgiving and gives you just a bit more room to play with before going nuclear.

I'm not saying that's the case with all 100w EL34 and 100w Stealth amps, it could just be the difference in pot tolerance between my two specific amps. I haven't compared multiple 100w Stealths or 100w EL34 heads.

I love the headroom of 100 watt amps. I’m torn though, would a 50 watt stealth be plenty vs the 100? Or will I always keep thinking I should’ve grabbed the 100 to begin with. Heck I love playing the Revv in 10 watt mode too so who the heck knows. It’d be nice to run into a stealth in a guitar center sometime.

I like the original 5150s that came out with the 5150 cab. I just think they sound great. You can craft them to do anything you want from blues to metal. I thought the 5150 3 sounds badass.. I want to try the new Iconic amp.

I like the original 5150s that came out with the 5150 cab. I just think they sound great. You can craft them to do anything you want from blues to metal. I thought the 5150 3 sounds badass.. I want to try the new Iconic amp.
I think James Brown did the Iconic too.

I love them all too

I have two PV 5150 combo amps in stereo and they are very inspiring and can get LOUD. The trick with these is to use a BBE sonic maximizer. Also own the original PV 5150 100 watt head and a early version of the 100 watt EVH lll head with a blue channel mod. Must say the combo amps are my favorite.

The newer ones are less touchy, but still touchy. I have a 100w Stealth and 100w EL34 and the 100w EL34 does go from nothing to blow your head off if you blink at it funny, but the 100w Stealth's volume is a bit more forgiving and gives you just a bit more room to play with before going nuclear.

I'm not saying that's the case with all 100w EL34 and 100w Stealth amps, it could just be the difference in pot tolerance between my two specific amps. I haven't compared multiple 100w Stealths or 100w EL34 heads.
I haven’t messed with the 100w EL34, but I also find the 100w Stealth to be relatively forgiving. When you’re trying to keep it super low there is a spot where it will jump up a bit, but I find it not terribly hard to keep it between mouse fart to tv/bedroom level if you want.

Soooo my replacement amp broke down AGAIN! I was just jamming for a bit though the blue channel. This is not good. I'm sending it back to Thomann and getting a refund. I'm reluctant to get another one. I love the tones but I can't have amps breaking down on me like this. I have 50+ amps and this has never happened to me. Too bad because I had a bunch of videos planned...

I remember the day a friend back in the day came over and set up next to my Langner half stack with the original 5150 and cab...nothing was ever as raw or brutal but that amp surprised me...it wasn't better but till that day never heard anything as brutal if it wasn't my main amp.

Reactions: Geo
Soooo my replacement amp broke down AGAIN! I was just jamming for a bit though the blue channel. This is not good. I'm sending it back to Thomann and getting a refund. I'm reluctant to get another one. I love the tones but I can't have amps breaking down on me like this. I have 50+ amps and this has never happened to me. Too bad because I had a bunch of videos planned...
Have had quite a few years of service of mine, I wonder what problem they are having now.

The original Peavey 5150 was/is one of the most punishing amps ever made, IMO. I've had that, a 6505, 6505+, 6534+, (all pre-China), the EVH 50 6L6, and Stealth 50. Believe it or not, the 6534+ was right up there. That amp really flew under the radar, but that thing was downright pissed sounding. Peavey has angry, throaty mids that just fucking grind. Add your favorite flavor TS9, you're gritting your teeth with every chug. EVH's just don't have it, sorry. The Stealth was my favorite EVH. But the Peaveys had character. The EVH's are highly out of control on the red channels, (to my dislike), and blue channels are just kinda stiff, and just kinda "really good". Not great. It's not an amp I have a strong desire to own another one of.

Last edited:
What went wrong on this one?

What went wrong on this one?

Out of the blue there was almost no gain on the amp, there was some static noise and less volume. Don't know what was up, some people say it could have been a tube some poeple say it could have been something else. I've read a lot about people having very similar experiences. I didn't want to have one anymore simply, so I sent it back.

Back