The best 5150 ever made?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
I used to love being on the boards back then and people were saying and making things up like he really didn't use this stuff, used to get a big kick out of it.

Especially considering at the time I worked at our local amphitheater and personally saw his rigs up close and personal on several occasions. What people saw in the pics at the time were what he was using. No hidden Marshalls or Soldano's, all Peavey. In fact the only odd thing was a towel with a line of 6L6's on it. Not really odd I guess just that I had seen a ton of guys rigs up close and never saw a line of tubes on a towel lol.

I have heard that he was using a 5150 2x12 combo behind the walls of 5150 stacks at several shows (pre 5152 I'd think). Any truth to that?

I have heard that he was using a 5150 2x12 combo behind the walls of 5150 stacks at several shows (pre 5152 I'd think). Any truth to that?
Maybe, on the III tour? By that time he was playing the II's. Which I didn't have time to see that rig.

I saw Carnal Knowledge and Balance rigs where he was also playing the Wolfgang prototypes.

I'll say this in my time working there the best live guitar rigs I heard were the VH III rig and Matthias Jabs who at that time was still playing 50 watt Marshalls, his tone was amazing. He also had an old Engl head and a Hughes and Kettner for dedicated cleans and H&K and Wizard cabs. Otherwise all Marshall per his tech. Still probably the best live tone I've ever heard. They rehearsed there for about 4 days before their tour, I ate my lunch sitting next to the soundboard watching the Scorpions argue in German lol.

Last edited:
Out of the blue there was almost no gain on the amp, there was some static noise and less volume. Don't know what was up, some people say it could have been a tube some poeple say it could have been something else. I've read a lot about people having very similar experiences. I didn't want to have one anymore simply, so I sent it back.

On my version 2 6L6 50w, I had a problem on the red channel where it would sound fine when you first switched to it, but the gain would fade away to the point where when you cranked up the red gain all the way, it would be less than the blue around the 9:00 setting. You could cycle power on the amp, and play the green and blue without issue, and then switch to red where it would sound good for a minute, and then the gain would fade away.
I tried switching out all of the preamp tubes one by one to no avail. Took it up to my very experienced tech who was able to duplicate it a few times at random, then the problem went away and it hasn't done it again since? (knock on wood)

Back