Whats the best solo of the 80s??

best solo of the 80s??

• Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • other

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters
Just killer, now that's a band that always brought it live.

Saw them live, opening for Winger back when "More than Words" was their big hit on the radio and MTV.. Was totally not expecting what I heard when they took the stage! Before the show, all I had seen was the video for "More than Words" and was expecting some sappy, love song singin', "Nelson" lookin' lame band.. They opened with "Get the Funk Out", and my jaw just dropped. Been a HUGE Nuno B fan ever since.

Saw them live, opening for Winger back when "More than Words" was their big hit on the radio and MTV.. Was totally not expecting what I heard when they took the stage! Before the show, all I had seen was the video for "More than Words" and was expecting some sappy, love song singin', "Nelson" lookin' lame band.. They opened with "Get the Funk Out", and my jaw just dropped. Been a HUGE Nuno B fan ever since.
No doubt. I can imagine. They are seriously tight musicians. All very talented.

I can understand your expectations. So many 80's bands sucked live. That includes Dokken and Ratt. very unimpressed with their live performance.

@glpg80, that's an excellent solo man.

Melodic and superbly-constructed. :rock:

When I read about the recording of the song in the studio, he was actually at the console with the producer playing rhythm for the song to track drums. Of course guitars were being recorded at the same time. When it came up time for him to do the solo he played that off the cuff FOR THE DRUM TRACK and then finished the song. Vito said it’s time to track solos and the producer was like you’re fucking nuts the solo is done that was epic 🤩😂

Comfortably Numb missed the 80s by only a month otherwise it would be in the running for me. Another solo that would never get mentioned here is Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. Its got killer tone too.

And I'll post this here because its a killer solo that gets little attention. Ah Via Musicom came out in the early 90s and before there was a Cliffs of Dover...there was Zap:

I love Eric Johnson. I go to his concerts . I love teaching his stuff in lessons . But how can I go be so good with no aggression at all . He’s so relaxed and makes me chill . Even his concerts are super mellow

So many good ones in the 80’s, impossible to list the best one. Everyone of us could probably list a top 100 and they’d all be great. Here are a few that stick out in my head.

3:12 Mark

1:57 Mark

2:45 Mark and the intro is pretty cool too

Reactions: Geo
Lay it Down = Ratt
I Remember You = Skid Row
Without Warning = Dokken
I'll Wait = Van Halen
Cherry Pie = Warrant (CC Deville actually did the leads). Edit: Ooops. Released 9/90
Eyes Without a Face = Billy Idol
Home Sweet Home = Motley Crue
More Than a Feeling = Boston
Dirty Movies = Van Halen
Ladies' Night in Buffalo = DLR/Steve Vai
Comin' Under Fire = Def Leppard
Judgement Day = Whitesnake
I Won't Forget You = Poison
Hungry = White Lion
Comfortably Numb = Pink Floyd
The Garden = Guns & Roses
Limelight = Rush
Orion = Metallica
Purple Rain = Prince
King of the Mountain = Kiss
17 = Kingdom Come
Centre of Eternity = Ozzy Osbourne
Take It on the Run = REO Speedwagon
Anyway You Want It = Journey
The Zoo = Scorpions
Shake It Up = The Cars
Time To Surrender = Winger
Rough Boy = ZZ Top
Brothers in Arms = Dire Straits
Surfing with the Alien = Joe Satriani
Texas Flood = Stevie Ray Vaughn
Cemetery Gates = Pantera

and yeah Rainbow in the Dark = DIO is killer

Last edited:
Comfortably Numb missed the 80s by only a month otherwise it would be in the running for me. Another solo that would never get mentioned here is Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. Its got killer tone too.

And I'll post this here because its a killer solo that gets little attention. Ah Via Musicom came out in the early 90s and before there was a Cliffs of Dover...there was Zap:

I am ashamed to admit that I was unfamiliar with Zap until now. Killer. I want Eric's Zoom background to use during my work Zoom meetings. A guitar and virtual background pioneer. :worship:

Back